More oil questions

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gooney, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I looked up the oil for my 2.2 boxer, the oil recommended was Castrol Edge synthetic, on Ebay this was showing £11/ltr (probably £15 as supplied by the garage) and my vehicle takes 6.5ltrs, the service interval is 25k or 2 years, whichever comes first. In my first year I did 2k miles and this coming year I will probably do 3k miles. These sevice intervals are probably for commercial vehicles that will do 25k a year. Unfortunately to preserve my warranty I must adhere to the service conditions, but in my case synthetic oil change at 5K miles??. Out of warranty would I be better off doing an oil change on an annual basis with a standard oil at probably a quarter of the synthetic price?:Eek!:

2. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Hi...

I thought long and hard on this subject...

In the end, I went for fully synthetic.

On a diesel it just has to be worth it....

It doesn't pollute as easily as semi or standard oil...

It's the life-blood of your engine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Count your blessings, mine takes 12L of fully synthetic and is the most expensive item on the service. Likewise I do about 5k miles a year.:Eek!:

4. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Replace oil and filter annually regardless of mileage, if it costs you £50 its less than a pound a week for peace of mind. DO NOT use mineral oil if semi or fully synthetic is specced for your engine, you WILL do it more harm than good. I'd also suggest an annual inspection of the brakes, we replace more brake pads because they're crumbling with old age than worn out.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

I find it very difficult to understand why someone who spends thousands of pounds on a motorhome - probably the most expensive purchase after their house - should be so parsimonious to the extent of even considering the reduction in specification of the specified engine oil simply because it's cheaper. :Eek!: I know synthetic is very expensive, but it is much superior to standard mineral oil - that's why it is recommended ('specified' would be a better word) by the manufacturer. A better option - although still not recommended - would be to leave the synthetic in and change it every other year.

What will you do when your m'home becomes due for a cam belt change on, iit seems inevitably, age rather than mileage basis?

6. Terry

Terry Funster

I get full syn for about 14 quid for 4.5 ltrs from a local motor spares shop :thumb: Even in Morrisons it is only about 16 quid :thumb:
    terry