Free Member
Jul 6, 2015
Glos
Funster No
MH
Looking for our MH
Exp
Hi all

I have been a fan of camping all my life but now want more home comforts ;) , so my partner and I are considering looking into buying our first motorhome!

I am a complete beginner and I found this forum trawling webpages to research our plan and the discussions and threads have been so helpful. Im looking forward to being more involved! One question I have having passed my test after 1997 I do not have the C1 entitlement. However we plan to do long stays in our motorhome (6 months + at a time) So required a relatively large vehicle. Is it possible to find something suitable under the 3500 limit or shall I stop being a cheapstake and go back to school and acquire the extra license for something bigger?

Ideally I had hoped to avoid this! but willing to do if it saves future hassle or gives us more scope of choice.

Thanks!

Mimi

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello :welc:

We've got a 4 berth 7.5m MH with a fixed bed under 3500kg - whether you'd want to full time in it I don't know. The best thing to do is to go out an look at as many as you can.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Welcome to Fun, I can not say for certain but I doubt you will get a larger vehicle under 3.5ton our Hymer is a fraction under 6 meters and a fraction under 3.5 ton. If you want much bigger think you may need to up your licence . Good luck with your search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome (y) lot's of vans come in at the 3.5t mark so get out and look (try out beds etc ) at as many as you can -LAYOUT is the key (y)Try out and imagine it raining -how comfy is the van when it's miserable outside :DDon't think for one min that a dinette is comfortable to sit at for any length of time over than when you are eating- look at lots;)
terry

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hello Mimi and welcome.

Terry is spot on when he says layout is the key. We are only on our second van but we soon learned from our first one that a dinette is not ideal if you want to lounge about or its pouring down outside.

From reviews and videos I would say there are plenty of larger vans under 3500kg. Maybe its mainly the newer ones that are lighter but still give you a decent payload.

Good luck.

Paul

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi and welcome (y) lot's of vans come in at the 3.5t mark so get out and look (try out beds etc ) at as many as you can -LAYOUT is the key (y)Try out and imagine it raining -how comfy is the van when it's miserable outside :DDon't think for one min that a dinette is comfortable to sit at for any length of time over than when you are eating- look at lots;)
terry
What more can I say except welcome from us in East Sussex :welc:

OP
OP
Astralmimi

Astralmimi

Free Member
Jul 6, 2015
Glos
Funster No
MH
Looking for our MH
Exp
Thanks everyone! I am not totally against booking myself in to add a new entitlement to my license, just had hoped I wouldn't have too as its rather confusing how I book myself in for it specifically. (I keep finding lorry and large van lessons! More research needed!) We are booked for the Birmingham NEC show in Oct and I am trawling the local adverts to visit and snoop around. We have been considering layout awhile now and decided an over cab or fixed bedroom is a must (Which of course got me researching the bigger MH's and discovering I may not be covered on my license for what we want) However I am used to living in a studio flat 6M by 4M so feel we can cope with the small spaces!

Thankyou for the friendly welcome!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you will find a large van but not one with any payload left. Best bite the bullet and take the test, or tow a small (under 750kg) trailer as you do not have the C1 +E for lightness best look for an alco chassis.

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Come along to one of the Motorhome shows look at club members vans and you can have a look round some vehicles at the show.
And hello from Brighton :)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i say take the test and go for a larger van.
you will love the extra space and load capacity

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back