Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Took rear light cover off for no particular reason and found extra cables, not connected to anything, the cable sleeve looks as if it's been done professionally, can't follow cables they disappear in to bodywork. Also there was a defunct LED mounted to be visible to the outside from the reverse lens, couldn't tell what colour that was (clear but may have illuminated red) I have a working alarm so don't think cables belong to that. There is a towbar and cables to socket are clear and seperate.

Any ideas
P1040160.JPG
P1040158.JPG
P1040158.JPG

Lens screws are disappointingly rusty, will look around for some stainless replacements, any screw kits out there?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looks like they are all part of an alarm system ( including the LED )

Although you say they are not connected to anything they actually are.. They are connected to them selves in each connection

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just a thought, is this perhaps the remains of an after market tow hitch hookup?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Took rear light cover off for no particular reason and found extra cables, not connected to anything, the cable sleeve looks as if it's been done professionally, can't follow cables they disappear in to bodywork. Also there was a defunct LED mounted to be visible to the outside from the reverse lens, couldn't tell what colour that was (clear but may have illuminated red) I have a working alarm so don't think cables belong to that. There is a towbar and cables to socket are clear and seperate.

Any ideasView attachment 65956 View attachment 65958 View attachment 65958

Lens screws are disappointingly rusty, will look around for some stainless replacements, any screw kits out there?
Just buy what you need from Screwfix. They have a good selection of stainless self-tappers. As have a few eBay sellers.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I took my lights off a couple of days ago. I wish I'd photographed them. The original wiring was pretty untidy - then the towbar fitter (PO had one fitted) filled any remaining space with with bl**dy Scotchloks. God I hate those things.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Scotchloks.. the only absolute guaranteed way of getting 100% duff joints after 10 minutes !!
Things should have been consigned to room 101 whilst still on the drawing board..

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Those red things are sticks of gelignite - your MH has been booby-trapped by an over-zealous previous owner who maybe had a bad experience with vehicle theft.

You're going to have to remove them, but the question is do you cut the red wire first or the yellow wire?

Be sure to have the incidental music from The Hurt Locker playing when you make your decision.

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
My sniffer dog tells me there are no explosives, or biscuits!

Have cut the wires to the LED, still here

The connectors are female bullet type, as if something has been connected, why would you terminate cable or install stuff in the rear light cluster? Unless it was something like a tracker needing rf path? bit vulnerable there though?
The van has a fully wired towbar seperate to these wires and it has a functional Strikeback alarm, shan't worry too much a lot can happen in 15 years, you only have to look at my undercarriage to see that! (am going to try to follow the trunking though!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back