More money to spend

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jb0371, Nov 12, 2013.

1. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Had ti use mh today while car was getting mot'd, stopped off at the butchers, showed the old dear around, then got told that I had left the step down, thats ok I said as soon as i turn on the engine it will retract, big tractor along the counrty lane on the way home so i pulled over a bit more, no problems.

Get home to find step twisted at an odd angle in the not retracted position.:cry:

Still works if you kick the other end, just hope that the underneath is not damaged.

Will have a look online tomorrow fro price of new step. Bugger

On the plus side got a nice bit of beef for sunday and loads of nice bones for the dogs breakfast's:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Dont know the price off hand but no doubt expensive, try twisting it back first

Peter

3. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Happened to me too !

I always check the mirror now before I kick off !!:Doh:

Only happened the once, luckily only an earthy bank on a corner !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

4. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Ouch !

5. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Are you sure that's not the dear old lady you also passed on the way home?? :Doh:

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I actually removed the auto retract facility on mine and replaced it with a really annoying buzzer which goes off if the ignition is turned on with the step out !

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Thats a good plan. My indicator is duel use with the handbrake warning light. Trouble is, is the van not moving because the brake is still on, or has the step jammed against a wall...

Will separate and replace with a Maplins buzzer.

8. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Got a buzzer on mine, as soon as I switch on the ignition the buzzer drive me crazy. :Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Mine buzzes then retracts and the buzzer stops. Still check in the mirror to see that its gone up though. Don't trust this techno wizardry.

Allan

10. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

If you're a bit handy at metal bashing you can probably repair it to a point where it will work but it will never be perfect, I know I've straightened several out after similar issues. Personally I'm not a fan of auto retracting steps since I heard about the lady who had just started to enter the motorhome when hubby started the engine and she got deposited on her 'arris with her right foot jammed in the step and ankle broken very badly. On our camper in addition to the sitch by the sliding door I have a 3 position spring to centre spdt switch to extend or retract the switch from the cab, there is also a very loud and annoying buzzer when step out and ignition on.

D.

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Mine is identical to that Dave.. Great minds and all that

12. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Ours has a buzzer too but the step is too low anyway IMO.
    It's lower than half way between the ground and the MH floor so it's quite a stretch to get in off it.
    I'm inclined to use the double caravan step we have instead.:Sad:

13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Ours is so high I have to use the caravan step below it!! One of those double fold in steps would be ideal.

14. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Just a quick question.. Doesn't anyone else do a walk around the van before pulling away?

I do this, look at tyres, make sure doors are shut. make sure I don't have hookup lead still connected :Doh: etc etc.

I do this just before starting engine to pull off. Was taught this on HGV course and it stuck. Saved a hookup post and saved me losing a chair which I had put under the van to stop it getting wet.

Not a bad habit to get into?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Yes, I do a 'walk around', but it looks much more pro if you wear a captains hat, shirt and British Airways badge. :Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  16. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Especially if you're walking around your bed whilst your Wife adjusts the undercarriage.....:Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I stupidly left my step out when exhibiting at the NEC, someone tried to park next to me and hit it and mullered the whole step, the hole it lived in and the skirt beneath the door.

I used a big heavy ratchet strap to pulll it back into place, but i doubt it will ever work again.

18. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

I thought this was going to be about HAVING more money to spend, not having to PAY OUT more money! Never mind, in for a penny, in for a pound.....

We've never driven off with the step out because our breaking camp routine is that I reverse the van off the ramps whilst Sue takes them out puts them in the van and then shuts the hab door and locks the fiamma bar across it. BUT.....

I did once drive off a hard standing in our last van and immediately heard a loud grinding noise; I'd left both corner steadies down. Got away with one side but the other was well bent.:cry:

19. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

will have a proper look at the step tomorrow, prob be able to twist it back into place and will also look at wiring in a buzzer.

Stupid thing is normally look in the mirror just to double check, as it did stop retracting about a year ago, but we got it to work again.

If I cant get it too work, I will have to get a new one, anybody now of the top of there head which model model I have on an 03 cheyenne 696g

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  20. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

I'm thinking it's of the knackered model variety