More fun and games with the bloody Sargent in the Autotrail (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well.. three days and all was fine...

The MOMENT I moved the box a couple of inches the damned thing played up again.
This now means the fault is actually in the rather multitudinous array of looms and sub looms that are feeding the box.. as soon as the wires are moved, BOSH ! Fault comes back

Every time I thought it had been fixed was, it seems it was coincidental as the looms must have been 'just so' and where ever the fault is, be it a broken wire or indeed a couple of wires that have chaffed and are touching, they behaved them selves.

I have now done a temporary fix by screwing the box down in a place where all things work, as sorting the loom is going to involve a lot of crawling around underneath and said ground is wet and nasty at the moment

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
I rather think one is enough :D

Darling,,,, Please stop playing with your EM50. It will make you go blind.!!!

Oooops.!!!

Sorry but when I saw this, I just couldn't resist it.! :wasntme:

Sunsets Unlimited. :coolest:

Bus step 4 Jaws..jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have now done a temporary fix by screwing the box down in a place where all things work, as sorting the loom is going to involve a lot of crawling around underneath and said ground is wet and nasty at the moment

Imagine what this could have cost you if you had not had the skills.

Just about all our wiring, save the vehicle lights, is internal.

Don't know how good the PCB connectors are but can the wires put a strain on them causing a fracture ?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes they could Brian as they are VERY stiff, but I have actually removed the connector plugs from the board and resoldered them in... and very carefully inspected the board from end end to the other for any problems.
Of course it IS a dual layer board and I suppose it is possible for one of the through hole tunnels to be duff, but as you are probably aware that is somewhat unlikely :-(

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Of course it IS a dual layer board and I suppose it is possible for one of the through hole tunnels to be duff, but as you are probably aware that is somewhat unlikely :-(

Very stiff wires attached to a pcb ?
Under a load of vibration.

It's an insult to say this but the usual live tugging has failed to provoke it immediately ?

As I said, I don't know what connectors but what chance the internal springs faulty ? Are they a good wiping contact or stiff two point ones ?

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
The fact you are still here makes you Funsters !!
Anyone makes it past the first two weeks has GOT to be of the right stuff !!!

Thanks for that Jaws.!
I can see how hard you are working at this "bloody Sargent",,,, me I don't have the brain power or the patients to do what you are doing. Stick with it I am sure you will beat it.

Like they say in Hong Kong.... Don't let the bar-stewards grind you down.

Mike
SunsetsUnlimited. :coolest:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Very stiff wires attached to a pcb ?
Under a load of vibration.

It's an insult to say this but the usual live tugging has failed to provoke it immediately ?

As I said, I don't know what connectors but what chance the internal springs faulty ? Are they a good wiping contact or stiff two point ones ?

The connectors are of two types.. Both have the one half soldered to the PCB.
They four are of the spade type with six connections and two are the type with round pins in blocks that have 15 connections.
When all this first started my instinct was to simply waggle the wiring about but that never seemed to cause anything..

During the last but one round of experiments I removed the step switch and used a clip lead to short it out.. Waggled everything I could but it had no effect

But I think with all the in and out going on what ever is happening is getting more sensitive

I am now gonna hang fire until I can get an extra pair of so I can move a few wires at a time while someone repeatedly tries the button for me..

WHY the clip lead test never worked is a mystery to be honest ( but this thing is nothing but one long mystery.. I feel as if I am trapped in one of those text based adventure games from back in the 80's ! )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have just been out there again and tried waggling the box as far as it would go whilst screwed in its present position.. Not a glitch..
I think it will do until either we get to warmer climes or the weather here gets unseasonably warm ( like up in the 20's ! )

Next job is to nail the cb in place.. But that is only a quick jobby ( apart from running the speaker wire all round the cab and hidden out of site .. woman will only allow the chicken box IF I put the speaker right behind my right lughole so the occasional squelch breaking signal does not make her jump !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sooo..
Today I finished fitting the cb which ended up drilling a few more holes and generally stomping around in the van for about 30 minutes or so..
Happy to report that the step/light issue is still conspicuous by its absence !!

Next is to remove 90% of the bloody dash so I can finally fit the blue tooth device I have had for months ;)

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Sooo..
Today I finished fitting the cb which ended up drilling a few more holes and generally stomping around in the van for about 30 minutes or so..
Happy to report that the step/light issue is still conspicuous by its absence !!

Next is to remove 90% of the bloody dash so I can finally fit the blue tooth device I have had for months ;)

Christ Jaws, dont you know when to stop. You really do make me feel guilty with all this work you complete. Am pleased for you that the step is still in its rightful place. (y)

Breaker, breaker you out there good buddy. Come-on.?

:coolest:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Its all part of the hobby for me :)
Once its all done I start looking round for more jobs and more modifications !

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Did you say "one step at a time " ???? Sorry, couldn't resist !!
Seriously though, very well done.. I understand and respect the "I will NOT be beaten" attitude, it is what makes a good engineer ( and what made Britain great )

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
I think a lot of it is I am a tight git and hate to actually BUY anything, so have to fix things rather than replace !

Tiz a shame a lot more people don't think like you. It would save the landfills filling up.! If it stops, bin it. Tiz a good job there are tight gits around. I'm not tight, just a miserable old git.! :rolleyes:
Humbugger.! :madder:

:coolest:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I Wish I lived near 'Jaws', just think of all the repairs and fitting of accessories he could undertake when bored!!! Obviously remuneration would be offered, cash or alcohol?

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
"The dwarf threw an axe and ran away"

Great, like reading a book, you used your imagination. Not any more.

Available "Colossal Cave Adventure" from Google Play.

Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water. Daa, da. Daa, da.!

Available "The Remains of a Fisherman" by Jaws.
I Wish I lived near 'Jaws', just think of all the repairs and fitting of accessories he could undertake when bored!!! Obviously remuneration would be offered, cash or alcohol?

Me thinks if payment was forthcoming in Acohfrolic terms maybe the results would be a disaster. "Now where does that Red cable connect".?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Booze is always good LOL !!
Its funny, but when we are away I often seem to get collared with odd repairs ( As Brian, Hilldweller can testify ! ... Now HIS problem was least as oddball as my own step issue ! )

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Its funny, but when we are away I often seem to get collared with odd repairs ( As Brian, Hilldweller can testify ! ... Now HIS problem was least as oddball as my own step issue ! )

I like your quote at the bottom of your intro, re "making it a felony to drink small beer". I am a dwarf, so does that apply to me.! My favored drinks are shorts anyway,,, Just so long as they are BIG Doubles.!!!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tis from Henry the VI..

Be brave, then; for your captain is brave, and vows
reformation. There shall be in England seven
halfpenny loaves sold for a penny: the three-hooped
pot; shall have ten hoops and I will make it felony
to drink small beer: all the realm shall be in
common; and in Cheapside shall my palfrey go to
grass: and when I am king, as king I will be,-- all

( and yes.. that IS copied and pasted as I can never remember the whole speech !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Yeh but you solved that one in ten minutes and not problems since.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was just lucky brian :) Had seen it before mate.. Obscure ( to say the least ) but such fun !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One week on and not a single floppy step incident !!
As soon as it stops raining I am gonna start sorting out the blue tooth widgest (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Shut up! You'll jinx it!!!:doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.