More dog poisoning (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Very sorry to read this, can you be more specific as to where this happened?
A little village in Dorset called west moors, there is a brilliant dog walking forest there. We suspect this is where she ate whatever it was.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
That's good news and here is to a complete recovery

Kath

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
So glad to hear Bonnie is improving............all the best to you all. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
And you may never know where it happened. With the dog which was supposed to have been poisoned at Crufts it now looks as if it was poisoned in Belgium days after it left Crufts. But some other poisons are slower acting. The symptoms of the poor dog in the OP might suggest something like warfarine, a rat poison, which thins the blood, possibly leading to bleeding in the brain - a stroke. But then apparently the commonest cause of poisoning seen by vets, according to the RSPCA, is from chocolate apparently. It has something in it, theobromine, which dogs don't like, but symptoms normally appear within 24 hours I understand.

Only a proper investigation, not cheap I suspect will identify the cause, but not, regretfully the culprit .
She was tested for every condition known to man, and several I had never heard of. She had a full body Ct scan, MRI brain scan, full blood toxicology, however this was negative. The vet said that she had either metabolized the toxin, or it was something that they don't know about.
And yes, not cheap, eye wateringly expensive, but to save a life, a drop in the ocean, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
She was tested for every condition known to man, and several I had never heard of. She had a full body Ct scan, MRI brain scan, full blood toxicology, however this was negative. The vet said that she had either metabolized the toxin, or it was something that they don't know about.
And yes, not cheap, eye wateringly expensive, but to save a life, a drop in the ocean, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate.

(y) Good Man. They are our best friends, after all. :):)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm glad you're dog seems to be on the mend, and I speak as someone whose own dog is on it's last legs, but in his case it is just old age. "Not long to go" the vet suggested last week.

It sounds as if you will never know what happened to your dog, it might have been simply "natural causes", a genetic weakness somewhere or perhaps a poison but odd toxology couldn't identify it. Discarded medicines, legal highs, something industrial? Life can be a tenuous thing at times.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
A little village in Dorset called west moors, there is a brilliant dog walking forest there. We suspect this is where she ate whatever it was.
Have you reported this to the authorities? During WW2, West Moors was the site of a huge ammunition and petrol/oils depot. It was reputedly used by the Americans to store gas carrying ordnance, to retaliate against German forces with if they used gas after D Day. All sorts of stuff is turning up these days. Phosgene and Mustard gas can cause extreme poisoning in their liquid forms. The Americans were well known for burying the s**t they didn't want across the English Countryside after the end of the war.

http://www.history.petop.co.uk/html/depot.html

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Well I am impressed, it is where I grew up, and you are the first outsider who has known that. The mod site is still there, but I don't think they store fuel there any more (they did in my youth)
I have had dogs all my life, and I lived there for 30 years, this is the first problem. Recently when I have been back there, I have seen (and disabled) several illegal snares, I suspect that the two are linked.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
you are the first outsider who has known that
I spent some time there in a military capacity, during the fuel crisis of the early seventies.
There were three main storage areas for gas during WW 2, Haverigg, Cumbria, Pennistone Derbyshire, and West Moors. All the gas bombs from Haverigg and Penniston were disposed of in a deep sea trench in The Irish Sea. No idea what happened to the stuff at West Moors, it was under the control of the Yanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back