More dog poisoning (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Another sorry tale, from the south coast. Our beautiful 5 year old Labrador, Bonnie, has been poisoned. Perhaps more distressing, she was being looked after by my brother in law, we think she ate some poison in the local forest whilst on a walk with him.
Our first signs that something was amiss, we collected her, and she was off her food, and all she wanted to do was sleep. The next morning, she was very ill, and had vomited during the night. She was immediately dispatched to our regular vet, and put on intravenous fluids and a cocktail of anti-toxins.
The next morning, she appeared to be recovering, so she was returned to our care. Sadly, during my lunch break, she suffered a massive stroke, and I discovered her an hour later, unable to stand or control her head movements.
She is now in the expert care of Fitzpatricks referrals in Godalming (The Supervet, if you watch channel 5). She is making slow progress, but still remains extremely poorly. The neurosurgeon in charge of her care is optimistic that she will make a complete recovery, and we are hoping she is right.
Just be warned people, there are some utter b*****ds out there who don't care which animal gets harmed. I'd love to find out who did it, and get them to explain to my 6 year old why her best friend is in at the vets, and may not come home ever again!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Such terrible news, and I know that personally I would be completely gutted if that happened to our dog. Got everything crossed for her to make a full recovery. :cry::cry:

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
That's so sad, hopefully she recovers.
Landowners/Farmers often lay poison and its indiscrimate what it controls. Very common practice here. I have never laid it but have been approached by local farmers asking if they can lay it on my land.... I refuse point blank. This time of year is peak time for its use as its lambing season.
Keep us updated with her progress and thoughts with you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry to hear that.

There are real nutters around.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Im so sorry to hear about Bonnie.
I was shocked to see a sign, sellotaped to the entrance to a local beach, claiming a dog had been poisoned on the beach here recently.
This went on all the time in Cyprus and was the reason I left.

I hope Bonnie recovers.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Terrible news. What I would do to someone who did this to my dog can't be put into words! I really hope Bonnie pulls through, she is in the best place and fingers, and everything else, are crossed for you all.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Very sorry to read this, can you be more specific as to where this happened?

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Sorry to hear about your dog , I had a labrador that would eat anything that remotely resembles food , I had a small farm at the time and in the feed barn a rodent problem , all of the baited traps were covered and dog proof to lay down poison without precautions is a totally irresponsible act . My wife and I are ardent watchers of super vet , the guy is amaizing

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hope she pulls through this. Some sick b###Ards around.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
So sorry to hear about your dog and hopefully she will make a full recovery.

Kath

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Really sorry to hear about Bonnie, she is in the best place and everything crossed for her.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I am so sorry to hear about your dog, Bonnie.....it sounds as though she is in the best place and getting the best possible care.

Are they sure that the poisoning is deliberate? Just with you mentioning she had been in woodland - there have been problems in certain areas of the country, ours included, where dogs have become very, very ill.......

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
How awful for you. Poor Bonnie. Get well soon beautiful girl, your little playmate needs you home. Everything crossed here for a complete recovery.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Well you have gone to the best vets in the country I hope you dog gets well soon :cry:

Finvarra

Free Member
Aug 6, 2014
scotland
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740SE
Exp
Since August 2013
Hope she makes a swift and complete recovery with no after effects. The wickedness of some people is so,depressing.

Lesley

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
So sorry to hear about Bonnie. I did wonder whether she might perhaps have eaten a poisonous fungi. Do you think that might have been possible?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So sorry to hear about Bonnie. I did wonder whether she might perhaps have eaten a poisonous fungi. Do you think that might have been possible?
That posibility was put to us by various people......

My response was.....Harry roamed those same fields for almost 15 years and never died before, why should he eat a poisonous plant now ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And you may never know where it happened. With the dog which was supposed to have been poisoned at Crufts it now looks as if it was poisoned in Belgium days after it left Crufts. But some other poisons are slower acting. The symptoms of the poor dog in the OP might suggest something like warfarine, a rat poison, which thins the blood, possibly leading to bleeding in the brain - a stroke. But then apparently the commonest cause of poisoning seen by vets, according to the RSPCA, is from chocolate apparently. It has something in it, theobromine, which dogs don't like, but symptoms normally appear within 24 hours I understand.

Only a proper investigation, not cheap I suspect will identify the cause, but not, regretfully the culprit .

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
So very sorry to read of this,.....as already expressed, I think this sort of thing sends fear to all of us dog owners, and to those who love them.
I do hope Bonnie recovers.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
There is, she came home to us on Friday, and although she was still seriously ill, her condition has improved through the weekend.

She is now able to climb steps on her own, and her face is no longer droopy on one side. There is a long way to go, and has to take a mountain of drugs, and has physiotherapy sessions coming up, but all in all we are so happy. Fitzpatrick referrals have given us back our best friend :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back