Moped or scooter in France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vlad The Impaler, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Just a hypothetical question,but if I wanted to by a twist and go scooter to use in say France,
    Could I carry a passenger,I've only got a full car licence,what are the legalities ?
    I understand I could with one of those 3 wheeled things but unsure about 2 wheels!

Vlad

2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Check your license, you may find that you do have full entitlement to ride a scooter / motorbike / moped under "Grandad Rights".

I'd still suggest a course of instruction if you've never ridden such a vehicle before.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  3. Bruce

Bruce Read Only Funster

4. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

The question is for France yes?

So in France you can drive a scooter between 50 and 125 if you have driven one before 2011

La catégorie B du permis de conduire autorise la conduite, sur le territoire national uniquement, d'un 2 roues ou d'un scooter à 3 roues à certaines conditions.

Doit-on suivre une formation ?

L'obligation de suivre une formation dépend du fait d'avoir déjà conduit ou non un 2 roues ( d'une puissance maximale de 125cm³) ou 3 roues avant 2011.

Si vous conduisiez un 2 ou 3 roues avant 2011 Vous êtes dispensé de la formation pratique si :

vous possédez le permis B et que vous pouvez justifier avoir conduit un 2 roues d'une puissance comprise entre 50 et 125 cm³ au cours des 5 dernières années avant le 1er janvier 2011, quelle que soit la durée d'assurance,

Or if

ou si vous possédez le permis B, même depuis moins de 2 ans, et que vous pouvez justifier avoir conduit un 2 roues d'une puissance comprise entre 50 et 125 cm³ ou un scooter à 3 roues au cours des 5 dernières années avant le 1er janvier 2011, quelle que soit la durée d'assurance.

You have a driving licence since at least 2 years, and you can justify having driven a 2 wheels between 50 and 125 cm3 or a 3 wheels scooter during the last five years before the 1st of January 2011 whatever your insurance had lasted

La justification, dans les 2 cas, doit être apportée par la présentation en
    cas de contrôle par les forces de l'ordre, d'un relevé d'informations établi par votre assureur.

In any case you'll have to prove it by showing your insurance details.

As for carrying a passenger: YES no problem at all! With a helmet of course !!!!!!

Is it what you wanted to know?

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

5. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Thanks Frankie,so if you can't provide previous insurance documents you've got no chance then.
    It's been 20 odd years since I've had insurance on a bike.

Vlad

6. lorger

lorger Funster

I have a wee 50 CC scooter for work and I drive it on car licence, if you passed car test before 97 you'll be the same. Mine is a benelli pepe lx and it will do 42 mph.

7. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Thanks Gerry,but can you carry a passenger?

Vlad

8. lorger

lorger Funster

Sorry forgot that bit yes as long as you tell the insurance company, my only word of warning is the weight of both rider and passenger (not saying mrs Vlad is heavy) :Rofl1::Rofl1: and the speed the bike can do. When I bought the bike new it could only do 30MPH and wouldn't have liked to take a passenger since it can now do 42 I have taken Sophie on it a few times.

Although she always walks the last 200 yards so her friends don't see her :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 4
  9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as an aside.....it is illegal to ride/drive ANYTHING in a foreign (European) state on a UK provisional licence.

Only full licence holders are entitled to drive.

So any UK national with a full car licence, but only provisional moped/bike entitement, cant ride.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

I passed my driving test in 1979. But have recently passed my C.B.T, which enables me to ride a scooter upto 125cc, solo. I have since passed my theory and my 2 practical tests, one riding through the cones, and the other being followed by an examiner, with intercom. I can now carry SWMBO as a navigator, sorry a passenger, on a scooter upto 125cc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I bought a Honda Vision 105cc twist & Go in January, the dealer would not sell it to me until he saw my licence and then the insurance people would not insure until they had copies of my paper and plastic licence. 95% of this was because it was over 50cc.
    The scooter is brilliant and so easy to ride, half day courses are available everywhere

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

passed my bike test back in 1974....i can ride any damned thing :Wink:

13. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

Just to add to driving a scooter/ motorbike in France it's now a requirement to have reflective tape on your helmet, on spot fines if you don't comply,
    I have used my Honda vision 110 with the missus with no problem in France and you could take yours on a fifty cc one quite legally,

14. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Just take your papers with you and don't worry ! I could not find out yesterday when a normal driving licence stopped to be worth for cars AND 125cm3 motorbikes. I passed my driving test in 1978 and it was still good to drive a 125cm3. If yours is around the same time then it should be ok here. But indeed unless you go to places like Andorra where they could check everything (looking for fraud of course) there's nearly no risk for you to be arrested . Just put on your helmets, check your lights and indicators, ....and off you go !

I've done much worse with my motorhome lately:Blush:
    IF I had been arrested my motorhome would have been taken away :Eeek::cry:
    And ..... Max is still parked right in front of my house:Wink:
    I know....not the best way to do things but what I mean is that you don't risk much. As long as you're not particularly noticeable ... like speeding where you should not and not having all the usual stuff required on the road ... then ...no problem!

Enjoy!

Frankie:Smile:

15. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Different here in the UK Frankie
    Here the police have to find a reason NOT to arrest you:Rofl1:

16. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

Thanks for your info on Reflective Tape/Stickers needed on Crash Helmets - I didn't know that. We're off at the beginning of September for a month. Just got a new scooter we are keen to try out :) Thanks again,

Rob

17. elamessa

elamessa Funster

You only need the reflective stickers on your helmet if it was bought in France!

• Like Like x 1
  18. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

you have to be legal in your country of origin .

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

20. simply

simply Read Only Funster

Be wary about sticking anything on your helmet ! (whoops, what have I said?!)

Adhesive can be damaging to a polycarbonate shell thus weakening it's protective qualities so always seek the helmet manufacturers' advice.

• Like Like x 1