Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Just a hypothetical question,but if I wanted to by a twist and go scooter to use in say France,
Could I carry a passenger,I've only got a full car licence,what are the legalities ?
I understand I could with one of those 3 wheeled things but unsure about 2 wheels!

Vlad

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Check your license, you may find that you do have full entitlement to ride a scooter / motorbike / moped under "Grandad Rights".

I'd still suggest a course of instruction if you've never ridden such a vehicle before.

Last edited:

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Check your license, you may find that you do have full entitlement to ride a scooter / motorbike / moped under "Grandad Rights".

I'd still suggest a course of instruction if you've never ridden such a vehicle before.[/QUO

I believe that if you have a full licence dated before1974 you can ride moped/scooter up to 50cc if restricted to 30 MPH and carry a pillion passenger.
I hope I am correct and this helps...................Bruce

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
The question is for France yes?

So in France you can drive a scooter between 50 and 125 if you have driven one before 2011

La catégorie B du permis de conduire autorise la conduite, sur le territoire national uniquement, d'un 2 roues ou d'un scooter à 3 roues à certaines conditions.

Doit-on suivre une formation ?

L'obligation de suivre une formation dépend du fait d'avoir déjà conduit ou non un 2 roues ( d'une puissance maximale de 125cm³) ou 3 roues avant 2011.

Si vous conduisiez un 2 ou 3 roues avant 2011 Vous êtes dispensé de la formation pratique si :

vous possédez le permis B et que vous pouvez justifier avoir conduit un 2 roues d'une puissance comprise entre 50 et 125 cm³ au cours des 5 dernières années avant le 1er janvier 2011, quelle que soit la durée d'assurance,

Or if

ou si vous possédez le permis B, même depuis moins de 2 ans, et que vous pouvez justifier avoir conduit un 2 roues d'une puissance comprise entre 50 et 125 cm³ ou un scooter à 3 roues au cours des 5 dernières années avant le 1er janvier 2011, quelle que soit la durée d'assurance.

You have a driving licence since at least 2 years, and you can justify having driven a 2 wheels between 50 and 125 cm3 or a 3 wheels scooter during the last five years before the 1st of January 2011 whatever your insurance had lasted

La justification, dans les 2 cas, doit être apportée par la présentation en
cas de contrôle par les forces de l'ordre, d'un relevé d'informations établi par votre assureur.

In any case you'll have to prove it by showing your insurance details.

As for carrying a passenger: YES no problem at all! With a helmet of course !!!!!!

Is it what you wanted to know?

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Thanks Frankie,so if you can't provide previous insurance documents you've got no chance then.
It's been 20 odd years since I've had insurance on a bike.

Vlad

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have a wee 50 CC scooter for work and I drive it on car licence, if you passed car test before 97 you'll be the same. Mine is a benelli pepe lx and it will do 42 mph.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sorry forgot that bit yes as long as you tell the insurance company, my only word of warning is the weight of both rider and passenger (not saying mrs Vlad is heavy) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and the speed the bike can do. When I bought the bike new it could only do 30MPH and wouldn't have liked to take a passenger since it can now do 42 I have taken Sophie on it a few times.

Although she always walks the last 200 yards so her friends don't see her :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as an aside.....it is illegal to ride/drive ANYTHING in a foreign (European) state on a UK provisional licence.

Only full licence holders are entitled to drive.

So any UK national with a full car licence, but only provisional moped/bike entitement, cant ride.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I passed my driving test in 1979. But have recently passed my C.B.T, which enables me to ride a scooter upto 125cc, solo. I have since passed my theory and my 2 practical tests, one riding through the cones, and the other being followed by an examiner, with intercom. I can now carry SWMBO as a navigator, sorry a passenger, on a scooter upto 125cc.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I bought a Honda Vision 105cc twist & Go in January, the dealer would not sell it to me until he saw my licence and then the insurance people would not insure until they had copies of my paper and plastic licence. 95% of this was because it was over 50cc.
The scooter is brilliant and so easy to ride, half day courses are available everywhere

Dave

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Just to add to driving a scooter/ motorbike in France it's now a requirement to have reflective tape on your helmet, on spot fines if you don't comply,
I have used my Honda vision 110 with the missus with no problem in France and you could take yours on a fifty cc one quite legally,

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thanks Frankie,so if you can't provide previous insurance documents you've got no chance then.
It's been 20 odd years since I've had insurance on a bike.
Vlad

Just take your papers with you and don't worry ! I could not find out yesterday when a normal driving licence stopped to be worth for cars AND 125cm3 motorbikes. I passed my driving test in 1978 and it was still good to drive a 125cm3. If yours is around the same time then it should be ok here. But indeed unless you go to places like Andorra where they could check everything (looking for fraud of course) there's nearly no risk for you to be arrested . Just put on your helmets, check your lights and indicators, ....and off you go !

I've done much worse with my motorhome lately:Blush:
IF I had been arrested my motorhome would have been taken away :Eeek::cry:
And ..... Max is still parked right in front of my house:winky:
I know....not the best way to do things but what I mean is that you don't risk much. As long as you're not particularly noticeable ... like speeding where you should not and not having all the usual stuff required on the road ... then ...no problem!

Enjoy!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just take your papers with you and don't worry ! I could not find out yesterday when a normal driving licence stopped to be worth for cars AND 125cm3 motorbikes. I passed my driving test in 1978 and it was still good to drive a 125cm3. If yours is around the same time then it should be ok here. But indeed unless you go to places like Andorra where they could check everything (looking for fraud of course) there's nearly no risk for you to be arrested . Just put on your helmets, check your lights and indicators, ....and off you go !

I've done much worse with my motorhome lately:Blush:
IF I had been arrested my motorhome would have been taken away :Eeek::cry:
And ..... Max is still parked right in front of my house:winky:
I know....not the best way to do things but what I mean is that you don't risk much. As long as you're not particularly noticeable ... like speeding where you should not and not having all the usual stuff required on the road ... then ...no problem!

Enjoy!

Different here in the UK Frankie
Here the police have to find a reason NOT to arrest you:ROFLMAO:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just to add to driving a scooter/ motorbike in France it's now a requirement to have reflective tape on your helmet, on spot fines if you don't comply,
I have used my Honda vision 110 with the missus with no problem in France and you could take yours on a fifty cc one quite legally,

Thanks for your info on Reflective Tape/Stickers needed on Crash Helmets - I didn't know that. We're off at the beginning of September for a month. Just got a new scooter we are keen to try out :) Thanks again,

Rob

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Be wary about sticking anything on your helmet ! (whoops, what have I said?!)

Adhesive can be damaging to a polycarbonate shell thus weakening it's protective qualities so always seek the helmet manufacturers' advice.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
For Mopeds - (under 50cc)

Le transport d'un passager âgé de moins de 14 ans est autorisé si un siège, des repose-pieds et une poignée de maintien sont installés. Le transport d'un passager de plus de 14 ans n'est possible que si la carte grise mentionne 2 places assises. Le transport des enfants de moins de cinq ans est autorisé si un siège spécial avec dispositif de retenue est installé, ainsi que s'il ne risque pas de se prendre les mains ou les pieds dans des parties mobiles.

Transporting a child under age 14 is allowed if a passenger seat, foot rests and a grab handle are fitted. Carrying a passenger over 14 years is only possible, if the vehicle registration document mentions two seats. Transportation of children under five years is allowed if a special seat with restraint is installed, and as long as they cannot get hands or feet caught in moving parts.

Pour conduire un cyclomoteur :

• Depuis le 19 janvier 2013, si l'on est né après le 1er janvier 1988, il faut soit avoir suivi la formation de BSR, soit avoir passé le permis de conduire AM depuis cette date, ou bien être titulaire d'un permis de conduire A ou B.
  • Aucun permis ni formation n'est exigé si l'on est né avant cette date.
No license is necessary if born before 1/1/88

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
According to the AA they are required. For the sake of £3 per set I'll buy some to be on the safe side. http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/france-monaco.pdf

Rob
If you buy a helmet in the UK they dont come with reflective stickers, if you buy a helmet in France they come with stickers. As long as you are legal in the country of purchase then you are ok.
The Gendarmes are not going to do anything to a UK national riding a UK registered bike/scooter wearing a helmet without reflective stickers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for your info on Reflective Tape/Stickers needed on Crash Helmets - I didn't know that. We're off at the beginning of September for a month. Just got a new scooter we are keen to try out :) Thanks again,

Rob
Reflective tape throws up another problem.......

It was always recommended by the helmet manufacturer, and probably still is, never to stick anything to a helmet as the adhesive COULD have an adverse affect on the integrity of the helmet shell.

Oppps, just seen post #20 by simply.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used to ride a moped years ago in France and could certainly not have carried a passenger, it struggled getting me up hills.::bigsmile:

As I have no evidence that I rode one years back I would presumably not be allowed to now.

It's a bit academic for me has SWMBO wont let me anyway :frowny:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Pour conduire un cyclomoteur :

• Depuis le 19 janvier 2013, si l'on est né après le 1er janvier 1988, il faut soit avoir suivi la formation de BSR, soit avoir passé le permis de conduire AM depuis cette date, ou bien être titulaire d'un permis de conduire A ou B.
  • Aucun permis ni formation n'est exigé si l'on est né avant cette date.
No license is necessary if born before 1/1/88

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back