LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I have just bought a 49cc moped to go on the back up the van. Woopee :thumb::thumb::thumb:. I intend to use it to nip and get the milk and bread etc when parked up some distance from the nearest store.

My van insurance covers me for 12 months and is with Saga who don't provide moped cover themselves so I am looking elsewhere.

Although I will only use the moped for short runs infrequently, cover needs to be for 12 months and this is proving a bit of a problem. The companies I have spoken to so far normally only offer up to 90 days.

Does any one know of a likely company to provide cover for Europe for 12 months.

grumpybob

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
American RV
Exp
Insurance

Hi i was told by Bennets bike insurance that you cannot get cover for longer than 90 days. :Sad:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all insurance taken out in an eu country as to by law cover you in all eu countries ,but only the minimum for the country you are in . uk companies try to deny this but its true .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Footman James might be worth a try, they tend to cover 'different' things

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Moped Insurance

Your UK cover will give you third party only cover in Europe.

We had the same problem when we bought a property in France and wanted to use our "motorhome" motorbike all year there. Our only recourse was to register the bike in France and use a French Insurance company. A bit drastic if you have no address "overseas" and want to use the scooter in more than one country.

Our "French" Insurance covers us for trips into the rest of Europe for up to 60 days at a time, adequate for us.

This may not be of any help but it shows the difficulties you may face with your plan.

Good luck and enjoy your new found freedom. We do !

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Big thanks

Thank you to all who have posted. I will pursue this tomorrow with renewed hope. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile: Third party, fire and theft would be ideal but if not possible I will be content with minimum cover. I will post outcome.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
I have just bought a 49cc moped to go on the back up the van. Woopee :thumb::thumb::thumb:. I intend to use it to nip and get the milk and bread etc when parked up some distance from the nearest store.

My van insurance covers me for 12 months and is with Saga who don't provide moped cover themselves so I am looking elsewhere.

Although I will only use the moped for short runs infrequently, cover needs to be for 12 months and this is proving a bit of a problem. The companies I have spoken to so far normally only offer up to 90 days.

Does any one know of a likely company to provide cover for Europe for 12 months.

Hi, you say saga covers your van for 12 months, is this 12 months continuous European cover?, or 12 months uk cover with up to 90 days European included, Which is what most companies offer ( I think this is what Bennetts are offering, as I have my bike insured with them)

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi, you say saga covers your van for 12 months, is this 12 months continuous European cover?, or 12 months uk cover with up to 90 days European included, Which is what most companies offer ( I think this is what Bennetts are offering, as I have my bike insured with them)

The van cover is for 12 months in Europe but Saga wont cover the moped at all. Today I have contacted all the suggested companies in the posts above but none ould give more than 90 days per trip except one who will allow a single trip of six months but only if the bike stays in the UK for the other six months.

I am all fed up and sad again :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Malcolm,
When I lived in the UK I used eBike for all 3 of my bikes,they give a genuine 365 day European cover,were reasonably priced and taking out the policy online is very straightforward,hope this helps.:Smile:

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Malcolm,
When I lived in the UK I used eBike for all 3 of my bikes,they give a genuine 365 day European cover,were reasonably priced and taking out the policy online is very straightforward,hope this helps.:Smile:

Yes you are bang on and if I had looked properly at the thread Sandj suggested I would have got there a bit quicker. It has cost me £240 for two riders TPFT. It would have been less if I could have got hold of one of the security devices that ebikes list but none of the five places I visited had any of those in stock. I was not prepared to wait any longer to get one or ask ebikes to approve another as I only have a couple of weeks to get it taxed, on the road and then learn to ride it before we head south for the winter. I am happy with the result. Thanks to all those who helped. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back