Moped insurance for Europe

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Malcolm Bolt, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt Funster Life Member

I have just bought a 49cc moped to go on the back up the van. Woopee :thumb::thumb::thumb:. I intend to use it to nip and get the milk and bread etc when parked up some distance from the nearest store.

My van insurance covers me for 12 months and is with Saga who don't provide moped cover themselves so I am looking elsewhere.

Although I will only use the moped for short runs infrequently, cover needs to be for 12 months and this is proving a bit of a problem. The companies I have spoken to so far normally only offer up to 90 days.

Does any one know of a likely company to provide cover for Europe for 12 months.

2. grumpybob

grumpybob Funster

Insurance

Hi i was told by Bennets bike insurance that you cannot get cover for longer than 90 days. :Sad:

3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

all insurance taken out in an eu country as to by law cover you in all eu countries ,but only the minimum for the country you are in . uk companies try to deny this but its true .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Merle

Merle Funster

Footman James might be worth a try, they tend to cover 'different' things

5. maison

maison Funster

Moped Insurance

Your UK cover will give you third party only cover in Europe.

We had the same problem when we bought a property in France and wanted to use our "motorhome" motorbike all year there. Our only recourse was to register the bike in France and use a French Insurance company. A bit drastic if you have no address "overseas" and want to use the scooter in more than one country.

Our "French" Insurance covers us for trips into the rest of Europe for up to 60 days at a time, adequate for us.

This may not be of any help but it shows the difficulties you may face with your plan.

Good luck and enjoy your new found freedom. We do !

• Like Like x 1
  6. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  7. Malcolm Bolt

Big thanks

Thank you to all who have posted. I will pursue this tomorrow with renewed hope. :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin: Third party, fire and theft would be ideal but if not possible I will be content with minimum cover. I will post outcome.

8. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

All this hassle !!!

Get a leccy bike !!! simples !:Doh::Doh::Doh:

9. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Got both and prefer 50cc as we can travel further, it works as Jan is petite so 50cc can cope. Also tax and insurance is cheap :thumb:

10. LARRY99

LARRY99 Funster Life Member

Hi, you say saga covers your van for 12 months, is this 12 months continuous European cover?, or 12 months uk cover with up to 90 days European included, Which is what most companies offer ( I think this is what Bennetts are offering, as I have my bike insured with them)

11. Malcolm Bolt

I don't think my inverter is up to keeping their batteries charged.

12. Malcolm Bolt

The van cover is for 12 months in Europe but Saga wont cover the moped at all. Today I have contacted all the suggested companies in the posts above but none ould give more than 90 days per trip except one who will allow a single trip of six months but only if the bike stays in the UK for the other six months.

I am all fed up and sad again :cry:

13. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Hi Malcolm,
    When I lived in the UK I used eBike for all 3 of my bikes,they give a genuine 365 day European cover,were reasonably priced and taking out the policy online is very straightforward,hope this helps.:Smile:

14. Malcolm Bolt

Yes you are bang on and if I had looked properly at the thread Sandj suggested I would have got there a bit quicker. It has cost me £240 for two riders TPFT. It would have been less if I could have got hold of one of the security devices that ebikes list but none of the five places I visited had any of those in stock. I was not prepared to wait any longer to get one or ask ebikes to approve another as I only have a couple of weeks to get it taxed, on the road and then learn to ride it before we head south for the winter. I am happy with the result. Thanks to all those who helped. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

• Like Like x 2