Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We were recommended to this aire back in 2014 in our early days of using aires

It is fairly close for the tunnel (about 10 miles south of Boulogne)

Has nice food / bar options about 200m from aire which is on a side road just outside centre

Its free (y)

When we came here last time, I was slightly taken back by the rough car park we were presented with and a little surprised that it had come recommended, but the free bit always appeals, the food options were very good, you cant see the floor when it is dark and you are asleep after all

So based on scoring well in most aspects we have come back, but it has had a makeover, the old car park area is still there, but now alongside the road, opposite the houses the town has created 8 very level block paved parking places, slightly tiered due to the slope of the ground.

A very pleasant and still free aire, water is still in the original place, free ground level dump, 2 euros for water and electrics, it will be on our place to stop, provided it does not get too busy, maybe wrong to be sharing this information? :whistle:

Got here at 16:00 today on 2 spaces left, all Brits, no funsters (y)

IMG_1512.JPG
IMG_1513.JPG

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Thats great news,when we tried here in November it was rammed with Itinerants

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks @DavidG58 for this, that aire now looks a lot smarter, is it still by the petanque/boules court? Lovely town, the remparts are a nice circular walk with great views. Glad you have had such a nice trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks @DavidG58 for this, that aire now looks a lot smarter, is it still by the petanque/boules court? Lovely town, the remparts are a nice circular walk with great views. Glad you have had such a nice trip.

yes right alongside the same car park, which has new notices about keeping that bit free for buses, it is alongside the road, immediately after the car park, with a little footpath linking back to it

Bays are on the small side though, we are jut about in at 8m long and I wouldn't like to be much closer to the wall at the back

Off to find these ramparts now, by find I can see them as they are right behind us, find a way on to them :)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
There are a number of small side streets that take you up onto the ramparts.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Thanks for the update, we passed by there last March and decided not to stay as looked a bit bleak, had a nice walk around the ramparts though.
We moved across to the aire at Stella Plage but will try Montreuil again when heading that way.

Pete

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Only 8 bays, now , as not able to park on the rough area as signs explain, buses only, very busy at school times up to 18 buses.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
If I'm not mistaken the signs say that the rough area is for school buses at certain hours, don't know why they bother as when we were there last month all the school buses just stopped in the road making it impossible to access the aire.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The old aire area does now say for buses only, but it does also define times, you could probably get away with an overnight with an early leave

many thanks for the ramparts suggestion, loved that, the sun even came out just before it went down, nice end to our trip

IMG_1514.JPG
IMG_1515.JPG
IMG_1516.JPG
IMG_1517.JPG

High level geese going over, missed a photo the large V that went first, but they were very high, but still very noisy

Been for a meal, had a very disappointing moules frites, will try another eating hole next time, went to Vauban? or similar tonight, there look to be plenty of other options (y)

Last edited:

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
High level geese going over, missed a photo the large V that went first, but they were very high, but still very noisy

Two questions....Were they heading northeast? if so are you sure they weren't cranes?? If they are cranes then winter is over and we can leave Spain and head home to France with confidence...

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Cranes started passing over Parc Verger last night. Advance party methinks!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Two questions....Were they heading northeast? if so are you sure they weren't cranes?? If they are cranes then winter is over and we can leave Spain and head home to France with confidence...

If cranes honk like geese I guess they might have been, never seen that many cranes in one go, must have been over 100

but yes pretty much northeast

where would they be going? there is still fresh snow on the ground around here I would have thought too cold for them yet

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
If cranes honk like geese I guess they might have been, never seen that many cranes in one go, must have been over 100

but yes pretty much northeast

where would they be going? there is still fresh snow on the ground around here I would have thought too cold for them yet

Often cranes migrate in their '00s when it is in full swing....they make a right racket and often seem to lose their direction/leadership and circle for awhile until a new leader takes over...

Montreuil maybe a little too far north or again they may be lost!!!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
My van was carried to the Peugeot dealership at Montreuil-sur-mer after my adventure at Le Crotoy.:rolleyes: I spent a wonderful few days there;) I booked a taxi to take me from there to Bolougne it cost (one way) €62.00:eek:

The town is very pleasant though. Safe journey home(y)

Last edited:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
If you're looking for a really nice meal out then try the Château in Montreuil.
http://www.chateaudemontreuil.com

Not been there for years but it was always a pretty special night out.....

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi
I have looked on the France map Google Earth and my brand new Garmin sat nav and cannot find Montreuil sur mer. To me Sur Mer is On Sea. So is this aire Before Le Touquet. This is the first time I have never been able to find a French town or Village. I have seen on UTube it is on the D 939 is this correct. We have been on hundreds of Aires and Stellplatz so I am at a loss

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi
I have looked on the France map Google Earth and my brand new Garmin sat nav and cannot find Montreuil sur mer. To me Sur Mer is On Sea. So is this aire Before Le Touquet. This is the first time I have never been able to find a French town or Village. I have seen on UTube it is on the D 939 is this correct. We have been on hundreds of Aires and Stellplatz so I am at a loss

It is on the D901, you are right, or at least I agree with you sur mer should by the sea. it isn't. On my road map it does not use sur mer, but on the local signs and tom tom it does

When I first put in just Montrieul TT tried to take us to Paris, I think it is common name maybe

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi

It is on the D901, you are right, or at least I agree with you sur mer should by the sea. it isn't. On my road map it does not use sur mer, but on the local signs and tom tom it does

When I first put in just Montrieul TT tried to take us to Paris, I think it is common name maybe

https://www.google.co.uk/#safe=active&q=montreuil+sur+mer

this link even says it is now a long way from the sea

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Suspect it was "Sur Mer" several hundred years ago but the estuary it's on has silted up so now it's not quite so "Sur" anymore:)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
From an information site:

The charming walled town of Montreuil is a perfect destination for a weekend away with its beautiful old houses and churches, its imposing ramparts and its cobbled streets - not to mention a good selection of restaurants and hotels. In fact its origins lie in Roman times when the sea ran up the estuary of the Canche as far as Montreuil. The first ramparts were built in the 9th Century by the Count of Ponthieu and in the 10th Century Montreuil rose to importance as the main sea port of the Capétiens. Like Arras, Montreuil was famous for its cloth industry from the 11th to the 13th centuries. The eight churches drew pilgrims from far and wide thanks to the relics of saints they held. The population grew to over 10,000 people and the royal castle of which only two towers remain today, was built in 1186, a charter having been granted by Philip Auguste. As the estuary silted up, the port fell silent and when finally the English took possession of the town, Montreuil emerged from the Hundred Years’ War in ruins. It was to suffer further when it was plundered by Henry XVIII of England and Charles V of Spain who laid siege but were rebuffed by the medieval walls. It fared less well in another siege in 1537 and finally succumbed to the plague in 1596.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back