Montreuil-sur-mer Aire

Discussion in 'France' started by DavidG58, Feb 18, 2016.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

We were recommended to this aire back in 2014 in our early days of using aires

It is fairly close for the tunnel (about 10 miles south of Boulogne)

Has nice food / bar options about 200m from aire which is on a side road just outside centre

Its free (y)

When we came here last time, I was slightly taken back by the rough car park we were presented with and a little surprised that it had come recommended, but the free bit always appeals, the food options were very good, you cant see the floor when it is dark and you are asleep after all

So based on scoring well in most aspects we have come back, but it has had a makeover, the old car park area is still there, but now alongside the road, opposite the houses the town has created 8 very level block paved parking places, slightly tiered due to the slope of the ground.

A very pleasant and still free aire, water is still in the original place, free ground level dump, 2 euros for water and electrics, it will be on our place to stop, provided it does not get too busy, maybe wrong to be sharing this information? :whistle:

Got here at 16:00 today on 2 spaces left, all Brits, no funsters (y)

IMG_1512.JPG IMG_1513.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. bigtree

bigtree Funster

Thats great news,when we tried here in November it was rammed with Itinerants

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jenben

Jenben Funster

Thanks @DavidG58 for this, that aire now looks a lot smarter, is it still by the petanque/boules court? Lovely town, the remparts are a nice circular walk with great views. Glad you have had such a nice trip.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

yes right alongside the same car park, which has new notices about keeping that bit free for buses, it is alongside the road, immediately after the car park, with a little footpath linking back to it

Bays are on the small side though, we are jut about in at 8m long and I wouldn't like to be much closer to the wall at the back

Off to find these ramparts now, by find I can see them as they are right behind us, find a way on to them :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jenben

Jenben Funster

There are a number of small side streets that take you up onto the ramparts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. pjay

pjay Funster

Thanks for the update, we passed by there last March and decided not to stay as looked a bit bleak, had a nice walk around the ramparts though.
    We moved across to the aire at Stella Plage but will try Montreuil again when heading that way.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Only 8 bays, now , as not able to park on the rough area as signs explain, buses only, very busy at school times up to 18 buses.

8. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Nice place to stay here. Been here a few times before and near enough to the ports. Usually full if you arrive late.
    Phil

9. FJmike

FJmike Funster

If I'm not mistaken the signs say that the rough area is for school buses at certain hours, don't know why they bother as when we were there last month all the school buses just stopped in the road making it impossible to access the aire.

10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

The old aire area does now say for buses only, but it does also define times, you could probably get away with an overnight with an early leave

many thanks for the ramparts suggestion, loved that, the sun even came out just before it went down, nice end to our trip

IMG_1514.JPG IMG_1515.JPG IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1517.JPG

High level geese going over, missed a photo the large V that went first, but they were very high, but still very noisy

Been for a meal, had a very disappointing moules frites, will try another eating hole next time, went to Vauban? or similar tonight, there look to be plenty of other options (y)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  11. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

Two questions....Were they heading northeast? if so are you sure they weren't cranes?? If they are cranes then winter is over and we can leave Spain and head home to France with confidence...

12. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Cranes started passing over Parc Verger last night. Advance party methinks!

• Like Like x 1
  13. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

Then we'll start planning for our trip home to the Limousin in the next week or two then...

14. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

If cranes honk like geese I guess they might have been, never seen that many cranes in one go, must have been over 100

but yes pretty much northeast

where would they be going? there is still fresh snow on the ground around here I would have thought too cold for them yet

15. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Yes they honk pretty much like geese.
    Soon they will move North by the thousand day and night,
    Quite spectacular!

• Like Like x 3
  16. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

Often cranes migrate in their '00s when it is in full swing....they make a right racket and often seem to lose their direction/leadership and circle for awhile until a new leader takes over...

Montreuil maybe a little too far north or again they may be lost!!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

My van was carried to the Peugeot dealership at Montreuil-sur-mer after my adventure at Le Crotoy.:rolleyes: I spent a wonderful few days there;) I booked a taxi to take me from there to Bolougne it cost (one way) €62.00:eek:

The town is very pleasant though. Safe journey home(y)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Jenben

Jenben Funster

If you're looking for a really nice meal out then try the Château in Montreuil.
    http://www.chateaudemontreuil.com

Not been there for years but it was always a pretty special night out.....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

Hi
    I have looked on the France map Google Earth and my brand new Garmin sat nav and cannot find Montreuil sur mer. To me Sur Mer is On Sea. So is this aire Before Le Touquet. This is the first time I have never been able to find a French town or Village. I have seen on UTube it is on the D 939 is this correct. We have been on hundreds of Aires and Stellplatz so I am at a loss

20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

It is on the D901, you are right, or at least I agree with you sur mer should by the sea. it isn't. On my road map it does not use sur mer, but on the local signs and tom tom it does

When I first put in just Montrieul TT tried to take us to Paris, I think it is common name maybe