Monthly Motorhome Magazines. (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I subscribe to all three monthlies (unless there are others, not including camper vans I don't know of?), and wondered what you guys think of them.

I very much enjoy MMM and look forward to its arrival each month, finding it full of interesting and well researched articles. There is plenty to read, and whilst I know there have been comments on here in the past about the content being repeated, as a fairly new motorhomer I haven't noticed this yet. The technical stuff is useful, and the tests go into a fair amount of detail. I have visited several of the campsites they have recommended as well, and so far so good.

Which Motorhome is an interesting read as well as long as they don't major on pvcs and campervans, and they don't seem to mind criticizing products where deserved. Again, well written with decent photos, and worth the money.

Practical Motorhome is however a different kettle of fish. It's more of a comic really than a serious magazine. Economically written and skimpily researched articles full of errors, and it's obvious that they are scared to comment badly on test vans, especially where the manufacturer has lent them one to use themselves. Sometimes they pick a theme, such as Germany and winter skiing a while back where they include several articles about the same thing that month, but if you have no interest in the theme it makes the whole magazine boring. I don't think I will renew my subscription, but am I being too critical? Don't get me started on the (Practical) Motorhome Channel...........

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We stopped all our subscriptions about 2 years ago.

I used to enjoy them but got fed up with all the pages of advertisements and regurgitated articles.

We get the 2 club magazines when they arrive but I never read them.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We only take MMM. Enjoy that one. Like you we found practical Motorhome too insular.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I get MMM digitally monthly which I enjoy, there is quite a lot of advertising but that's how they keep costs down. One difference receiving it digitally is that at shows, because you don't have a membership card you can't enter MMM area for a free coffee, can't understand why? You would think that as your copy is cheaper to deliver you would receive better benefits or at least the same and not less, strange.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I now only subscribe to MMM snd do look forward to re diving it each month. I use to get Practical Motorhome and was a member of the reader team for a few years and had the opportunity of reviewing vans etc however the organisational skills were somewhat lacking. I gave it up because I felt things were rather repetitive and they employed someone to do the majority of van reviews so this input was significantly reduced.

Funsters forum is far better!!!!

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
There is plenty to read, and whilst I know there have been comments on here in the past about the content being repeated, as a fairly new motorhomer I haven't noticed this yet.

This is normal for all hobbies/interests... The more experienced you become - the less useful the magazine et-all become - unless you take up writing articles for them..

Over the years I've immersed myself in various pastimes and subscibed to the publications/forums/shows etc in order to learn/understand. But there comes a point when you become comfortable with what you know and then "cherry pick".... It even happens on Forums (like this one). It is at that point that folk tend to drift away from the knowledge side and move more into the social side.. that's why forums tend to have something like the U Shaped Lounge area.. you only have to do a simple search to see the repetiveness of topics/questions etc...

Even on the Web (google) it's amazing how many have already "asked the question"!.. however obscure you think it may be... :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We used to get MMM but eventually got very samey Andy Stoddard was the main thing we got it for in the end, if there is a report on a area we are particularly interested in we will buy that, but in general everything in the magazines is covered in Motorhome Fun.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We don't subscribe but do buy and read MMM regularly. To us it is the magazine.

Practical Motorhome seems to be a much more amateur publication in quality, content and even paper.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I stopped regularly buying mags a few years ago but occasionally will buy an MMM for a keep up read.
I also get the two club mags but rarely read them.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Same as Chris and, up to a point, Larry for me. Stopped buying MMM years ago and there's stacks in the loft, many unopened. Similarly the two club magazines which get opened months after arrival if I need something to scan with my elevenses. I know I could get the online versions of both free and save the planet but I'd never ever look at them online.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Tried Practical Motorhome subscription for a year & seemed like bit too rose tinted views due to heavy sponsorship :( Their rally at Stowford Farm is good value with great facilities & lots going on (usually 2 choices of live evening entertainment plus daily programme) though you don't have to subscribe to book it (y)- just remember no bus stop nearby, take good ramps & watch the tight exit gate. See http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/stowford-pm-rally-1-4-may-2015.98865/
Used to enjoy Caravan Club magazine (when we had a caravan) but so heavily weighted towards caravans with a token 2-3 pages for motorhomes that really not relevant any more. Only thing of interest in the last year was a little light fibreglass caravan as could be for towed behind a pvc. Same bias on Caravan Club rallies & sites so not rejoining for now. Best experience & advice is on here & Fun rallies are the best too!
Will probably try MMM magazine in a year that we have time to do a few show rallies as recoup some of the cost being members on booking :)
Have joined MCC to try it out for more choice of rallies in the South West & their magazine is basic but relevant to the club. Don't know how many rallies we will actually manage to get to this year as with family committments & visiting universities across the country for their open days so our son can make the best choice for him will keep us busy... Fun ones will take priority though:D

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
But where do you read your MH magazine, whichever one it is?

I read my magazines in the smallest room in the house (or MH), I always thought this was compulsory! :)

Funny though I don't think that the ladies do this. I wonder why as they are missing out on one of the great pleasures in life.

Keith Hart

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Gotta love the letters published in MMM.
Either the editorial staff are having a laugh - or the contributors really are a bunch of right old saddo's :p

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We used to buy mmm had 3 years worth sold them all for 50p each
only buy now if looks interesting or for forms for mh shows as said
can be very similar we have amonthly club mag. found windsor horse show camping cheap break in a normally expensive location so they can be worth looking at .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back