Monitoring solar charging (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
We had a second leisure battery and solar panel fitted as an option. The solar controller is fitted under the bench seat, behind the batteries. We have no way of knowing how/if the solar is working. I lifted the seat (to look under properly involves pushing passenger seat forward, moving table forward, removing two back cushions at right angles, removing seat cushion and board underneath), but couldn't see any lights on controller. How do we know if it's working and to what capacity? The only leaflet with it was in French and I've lost it.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Presumably if no other charging is going on you'll see the battery voltage rise to 13.6v or higher on a sunny day? The usual float charge is around that, with the bulk charge (if available from the controller) being higher. A healthy battery will settle at around 12.7v if nothing's charging it.

Stick a digital multimeter's probes onto the battery terminals or into a 12v habitation socket. Either that or buy a ciggie lighter type LED voltmeter and keep an eye on it.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Look up a Victron Battery Monitor, there's also a video on you tube. Great piece of kit, tells you a lot more than just battery voltage.
Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Some Solar regulators have remote panel options. My Votronic has one which I specified and it's fitted into the control panel area. CBE have a simple one which I removed when changing regulator. Available to a good home if I can find it when I get home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back