Money saving gaskets

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by wivvy's dad, Jan 18, 2012.

1. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

From another forum, but thought it might be useful for those of a mechanical persuasion.....

After spending fooking loads on gaskets from Mr Honda I hit upon an idea. To save a few sheckles I scanned the new gaskets on my scanner. Then saved the image as a PDF. I used PDF as it doesn't alter the size of the image.

Then what you do is get a sheet of gasket paper and feed it into your printer. print the image, make sure you set the printer prefs to "full size" or "actual size", and then you have a perfet gasket once you cut it out. Gaskets for pennies. For the holes where the bolts goes through I used a hole punch. Its spot on for an M6 bolt.

Currently seeing if I can get a blade suitable for cutting the gasket paper on my vinyl plotter/cutter.

Saves a few quid if you do a fair amount of your own work. Gasket paper is as cheap as chips on Eblagg. A generator gasket for the VTR is around 12 quid. I've worked out that doing it myself has worked out to 6p. I can print and cut one quicker than going to a stealer to pick one up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Now solve the problem of Head Gasket or manifold gasket and I'll be super impressed.

We used to tap lightly with a ball pein hammer straight onto the gasket material against the body of the item and got a perfect fit.

3. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Good idea, but its not new, it was the standard method when I was an apprentice 50 years ago and it was at least 50 years old then.

doug...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I'm talking fifty years ago...............

5. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I have, in the past, made hundreds of them out of sheet copper, basic training, once.

Doug...