Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Having never been to Europe with my van I am a bit worried about a situation where credit or debit cards fail to work.. Do you always carry enough cash to make it back home in case of something bad happening. I have cards and so does my wife but I do worry the system might just go a bit awry whilst we are abroad in say Italy or the like. Obviously we would pay everything such as fuel with cards and use cash in small shops but how much CASH should we have secreted away onboard. Just enough to buy fuel and some food or another contingecy on top.
I also would have a smallish amount and out of date cards in a muggers wallet just in case of thievery. How do you all pay your way over there?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The only place I would say carry enough cash is Germany because the card processing networks there are completely flakey.

In the rest of Europe I don't see why you would have any issue.

Make sure you've got more than one option i.e. different cards preferably from different providers (Visa, MasterCard etc) just in case and you'll be covered.

The only place outside Germany where we've had any issue is a single toll booth in Italy that wouldn't accept any of my credit or currency cards. My UK debit card worked though so even that wasn't a disaster.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We take enough cash with us to avoid having to draw any out whilst away and have a safe in the van,use the credit card to buy everything as no charge to use it as long as payed off monthly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Obviously depending on your considered needs, yes cash is ideal. However, there are also pre loaded cards, Revolut being one and recommended by lots on here and you can draw cash from ATM (up to certain amount free of charges(I believe))
As regards credit cards, I can recommend (as a lot on here can), Halifax Clarity. Gives you the rate of the day (usually better than changing money) and NO transaction fees OR commission. Always pay (if choice given) in Euros. Set up D/D to clear balance and no charges. Also Santander Zero.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Took my VW T5 over some years ago to pick up some booze. Took a wrong turning and finished up on the Peage so had to go to the next junction. No cash only cards. The woman looked at me as I gave her a card for something like 90p. Never did see it on my bank statement.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
As others I use non fee cards for purchases Visa and MasterCard but I make sure I always have around 300 euros or equivilant. You never know when and if you might need it and if trying to strike a deal in an antique fair or market cash is king. I also make sure I keep around 30 euros in one and two Euro coins in case an aire or service point will only take coins which is often the case. As has been said many places in Germany prefer or insist on cash.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never carry much cash mostly use cards, if we are in a country that is not card friendly just draw out a couple if hundred Euro at a time. In France often get by with €50 a week in cash.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Only ever carry a small amount of cash. Use French cheque book. Advise UK card issuers of period abroad in advance so that their systems will not be surprised by foreign transactions.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have to once again plug a good vote for Revolut, I am in the US and they tend to swipe the card rather than chip and pin, yet last night my card was refused. No problem I have another card. When I got back to the hotel I had a message from Revolut suggesting I switch on allow swiping, I did not realise there was an option and sure enough it was off. My app showed the declined transaction detail too!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Santander "Zero" Card.:)(y) (No Longer Available:((n)). Used all over the USA and Spain.
Small amount of cash only for the day the Power goes down and nothing works!!.;) kept in a "Hidey hole" in the `van. No where to put a safe anyway!.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
One thing I have read that sounds useful is to always withdraw the same amount in cash, so that you can easily spot any unusual transactions. It would also highlight the various exchange rates used !

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We tend to cover most eventualities by by taking 2-300 Euro cash, a Caxton pre pay card for drawing more cash along with various credit and debit cards for fuel and other large purchases ... never been stuck yet!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We normally take at least 500 Euros, sometimes more. Locked away in a hidden safe and transferred to wallet and purse as needed. Most payments for tolls, fuel, supermarket and restaurants are made by card if possible. We usually come back with lots of spare Euros, which we just keep for next time.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Another credit card to consider for fee free, zero commission, net exchange rate, is the 'Aqua Reward Card'.

Added bonus, it has 0.5% cashback on all expenditure, including overseas! May not sound a lot, but every little helps...

BUT it has a very high interest rate if not paid off IN FULL each month!

We only use ours when travelling abroad and they works a treat. Have our normal cashback credit cards (that do incur foreign exchange charges) with us in reserve, if ever required, but haven't needed them as yet.

Also take some cash - just sufficient to avoid the need to withdraw any whilst away. Normally go for 4-5 weeks at a time, so no messing about searching for cash points or banks.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Live two minutes ago for comparison

HSBC 1,118.53

Revoult 1,173.30

Times Currency Service 1,173.30

XE.com ( which I consider to give ‘live rates’ but not exchange facilities ) 1,173.03

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
in my van all over Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as of may 28, 2009, fulltimer
My trusty ING card and a Visa creditcard get me almost everywhere, but some years ago I had a problem with my adress (I am a fulltimer without mortar and bricks) and my pension was stopped, had to return to Holland fast to sort that out and was glad I had some cash in the van. Now I am never ever without cash safely stashed away in the van or on my person. Greetings from Spain, Hans.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Santander "Zero" Card.:)(y) (No Longer Available:((n)). Used all over the USA and Spain.
Small amount of cash only for the day the Power goes down and nothing works!!.;) kept in a "Hidey hole" in the `van. No where to put a safe anyway!.

Santander Zero card is still available - got one in December last year. I think there was a period of time when they stopped it but definitely available again now.

Denise

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Only ever carry a small amount of cash. Use French cheque book. Advise UK card issuers of period abroad in advance so that their systems will not be surprised by foreign transactions.
That's ok as long as they don't have a dodgy employee. :(Otherwise you might as well put a sign up 'gone away' .Both my Uk banks used to ask me to do that. & they also pointed out that it was still no guarantee that the card wouldn't be blocked when used & it would require ringing at the checkout to get it unlocked. Never had a problem since I made an official complaint & never tell them .

Live two minutes ago for comparison

HSBC 1,118.53

Revoult 1,173.30

Times Currency Service 1,173.30

XE.com ( which I consider to give ‘live rates’ but not exchange facilities ) 1,173.03

But are the others for cash transactions at an atm or for transfers.?

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
All were the rates quoted to 'buy' at that time on their web site. HSBC was collect cash in bank, Times Money Service, buy euros and pay into an account, Revoult .... not sure, it was the live rate on their site so hopefully the rate you would get if making a purchase

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
It appears that Revolut are covered by the FSCS scheme (although I'm not 100 %?).

All your money is held in ring-fenced client accounts at Barclays. That means if anything happens to Paysafe Financial Services or Revolut, your money is still safe.

They do however charge for ATM withdrawals

Free up to £200 (or currency equivalent) per calendar month. A 2% fee applies thereafter.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I stand to be corrected but it was on here a month or so ago and it us available again

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
You will never have a problem. Do you have problems here in the UK or do you still live like its 1932? Card not working in the bank machine to get euros? go to another one!

Just to be on the safe side carry a credit card and a debit (bank) card and you will be fine, and probably the same amount of cash you carry normally. have enough to cover you at the diesel pump cos trying to put diesel back in the pump is tricky if you can't pay.

I know as I lived in many countries including Europe most of my adult life.

You will be fine!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Metro Bank debit card for us. No charges for using or cash withdrawals in Europe. I just use the online banking app on my phone to transfer money in and out (when we get home). I used to use a Caxton card but Metro give a better rate unless you put money on the Caxton card when the rate is very good and spend it after the pound has dropped.

I also carry some cash and make sure I visit an ATM just before coming home so we have some cash ready for the next trip.

Allan

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Metro Bank debit card for us. No charges for using or cash withdrawals in Europe. I just use the online banking app on my phone to transfer money in and out (when we get home). I used to use a Caxton card but Metro give a better rate unless you put money on the Caxton card when the rate is very good and spend it after the pound has dropped.

I also carry some cash and make sure I visit an ATM just before coming home so we have some cash ready for the next trip.

Allan
Do you know what they base their exchange rate on, I asked them never got a reply.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I always find that I get the best rate for cash (nearest to the rate quoted in XE) by buying my currency (Euros or dollars) when in the Uk. I normally order on line and get the best rate from either Travelux or the Post Office. In both cases the rates are much better than their "walk in" rates. I then pick up either at port/airport/tunnel for Travelux or local PO for the Post Office.

The only place I have found that is better is a little currency exchange shop in Covent Garden, London who can't be beaten if buying foreign currency using pound notes. That is because they are much busier selling at exorbitant exchange rates those pound notes back to foreign tourist who pack the place. I don't mind sharing a bit of their profit!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back