Moho insurance renewal rip-off. (1 Viewer)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We purchased our M.H. nearly a year ago & found the best value, for the best cover insurance, back then was with Adrian Flux ( £223 fully comp' ) :) . . so the insurance is due, the renewal arrives today . . £298 :eek: - including 1 year's N.C.D. . . :eek:

A quick go & compare of the meerkats & I find the same cover for £165 (y)

A few quid difference & I wouldn't be fussed changing . . . but £133 / over 40% cheaper is a no brainer.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
£165 is a much better bargain methinks . . . £133 buys a lot of wine :)

I went through the same procedure earlier this month. I also had a quote for £165 but opted for a policy costing slightly more because the cheaper policy did not include 365 days EU Comprehensive cover. Many now only include 90 days. Worth you checking the policy has the cover you want. I still saved a decent sum which will buy a few boxes of wine in France (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also check it is a proper Motorhome policy a lot of the cheaper ones are modified car policies and don't offer adequate cover for Motorhomes. We pay 290 for a van valued at 62k, been told premium will be the same for the new van which is worth 25% more. I'm with Comfort.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
a lot of my 'surcharge' was due to declared mileage, plus value

I actually saved some by reducing the value to just below £50K which seems to be a key figure to the insurers, but they seem to prefer 5K miles not 10K :( and I want to get maximum use, although we are only around 8.5K this year MOT / MOT which I guess is what the insurers would ask for in the event of a claim

OP
OP
MC 55 FUN

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Also check it is a proper Motorhome policy a lot of the cheaper ones are modified car policies and don't offer adequate cover for Motorhomes. We pay 290 for a van valued at 62k, been told premium will be the same for the new van which is worth 25% more. I'm with Comfort.

Thanks - it is specific to the M.H. :)

OP
OP
MC 55 FUN

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Check your windscreen cover, I need new one at £2000+ my insurance will only pay £600 less my £90 excess. I shall be looking elswhere next year.

Thanks - It's just a common or garden generic Sevel type cab ( Fiat / Peugeot / Citroen ) so no issues with windscreen cover.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

I actually saved some by reducing the value to just below £50K which seems to be a key figure to the insurers, but they seem to prefer 5K miles not 10K :( and I want to get maximum use, although we are only around 8.5K this year MOT / MOT which I guess is what the insurers would ask for in the event of a claim
I found mileage doesn't make a lot of odds about £20 for each 2000 increase, we started at 6000 cost us £20 to go up to 8000, obviously 10,000 would be £40 extra over 10k with Comfort is unlimited, we will probably change to 10k this year not much point in having a van if you don't use it.:D

Thanks - it is specific to the M.H. :)
If it's not a proper MH policy you probably won't be covered for awning damage, gas explosion and other MH related claims, not worth the risk to save a few bob.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Seems very cheap to me - we pay just shy of £500 fully comp and the van is 10 years old, thats with Safeguard.
That is because you van is a Concorde insurance companies tend to lump certian vans in certian groups reguardless of value. Hymer's appear to attract low primiums where as Concorde, N&B etc., they are much higher.

OP
OP
MC 55 FUN

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Seems very cheap to me - we pay just shy of £500 fully comp and the van is 10 years old, thats with Safeguard.

It is very good value, I will of course continue to search other possibilities as anything up to £200 would be reasonable & acceptable.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth

I was on limited mileage with our Truck , ( 5k, fuse was easy to find) but with the new MH i kicked the arse out of it, was up to 5k by before our 2 week trip, but when i rang to upgrade the mileage it was only £28 to go to 10k.

Mine is done through Antony D Evans , as the policy covers us to carry the bikes and assorted paraphernalia, no idea what it will cost this time but was about £450 last year. We are valued at £25k

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I was on limited mileage with our Truck , ( 5k, fuse was easy to find) but with the new MH i kicked the arse out of it, was up to 5k by before our 2 week trip, but when i rang to upgrade the mileage it was only £28 to go to 10k.

Mine is done through Antony D Evans , as the policy covers us to carry the bikes and assorted paraphernalia, no idea what it will cost this time but was about £450 last year. We are valued at £25k
I know Anthony Evans well through the horse world but didn't know he insured Motorhomes ...we used to insure our horse box through him.
I shall be ringing him before ours is due for renewal in April as I don't think we will be going with AIB again.
Thanks for the info

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I know Anthony Evans well through the horse world but didn't know he insured Motorhomes ...we used to insure our horse box through him.
I shall be ringing him before ours is due for renewal in April as I don't think we will be going with AIB again.
Thanks for the info

Yeah we ran our race transporter through them for 4 years, same deal as horseboxes, but they use the term 'motorcycle transporter' instead. Swapped over to the A class no bother,we used to get charged £20 a trip for European cover on the truck, but nothing now on the MH .

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Interesting thread this in so much that I think that there are two (or more) schools of thought...

(a) Insurance for vehicles is a mandatory charge on our finances and we try to get away with as cheaply as we legally can.

(b) Insurance for vehicles is a way of protecting us and our vehicles should the worse happen.

I have to admit that for a lot of my vehicle owning life I have been in the first camp (we have never owned an 'expensive' car) but when it came to insuring our motorhome I actually started to think the other way in that in most cases when you are in a car if the worst happens you simply and unemotionally get another car. With a MH you are not only carrying a lot more stuff but it is also your second (or first) home and there is a lot more emotion involded.

I an SO SO glad that I started to think that way as recently we had our MH written off whilst in Spain and thanked whoever you thank that I had gone with Safeguard and got the cover that I had wanted but had hoped I would never need!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I know how u feel - our motorcycle insurance through Devitt cost around £90 a year - renewal early May.

We buy a new bike but May renewal is a pain as we r in Spain at that time so start a new policy.

They want £70 to cancel - no refund for un-used months.

As we insured with them - they only want £30 to transfer my no claims

What a dishonest industry !!!!!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
im still amazed that folk expect to insure a £30k MH for less than a weeks shopping TBH.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We purchased our M.H. nearly a year ago & found the best value, for the best cover insurance, back then was with Adrian Flux ( £223 fully comp' ) :) . . so the insurance is due, the renewal arrives today . . £298 :eek: - including 1 year's N.C.D. . . :eek:

A quick go & compare of the meerkats & I find the same cover for £165 (y)

A few quid difference & I wouldn't be fussed changing . . . but £133 / over 40% cheaper is a no brainer.
Great price .well done..

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We could pay 450 plus ... but we don't. We get the cover we want for well under 400 in London.
I'm quite happy to pay less if the cover is adequate.
Maybe I'm wrong.... (n)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
£370/year for £48k cover, fully comp, and with the normal 365 days a year EU cover and full recovery PLUS up to 6 months unattended (in gated private yard) overseas in any 12 month period

AIB, very nice people to deal with and very flexible

Comfort were a joke, their "365 days a year cover in EU" was conditional that the van was never unoccupied (even at our home in Portugal) for more than 36 hours and their refund policy is a rip off

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I must admit to having been astounded at the premium I went with this year.
Having had my cover from Safeguard for a few years (albeit with a good check every year to ensure value), I was always very impressed with the product I was buying from them, and still feel that what I paid for previous years was very good value.
I knew because of the big step change in vehicle I could expect a change in premium and was well prepared for that.
With Safeguard that rise in premium was in the order of which I was expecting given the increase in value and use/mileage, but I am now getting the same level of cover from NFU, having confirmed both the level of cover and the value, for half that price.
Unlike Safeguard it doesn't include breakdown/recovery, but a years ADAC cost €89 covering all my vehicles more than covers the difference.

OP
OP
MC 55 FUN

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
im still amazed that folk expect to insure a £30k MH for less than a weeks shopping TBH.

I see no financial logic in paying any more than is necessary to obtain the product / goods / services I require.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I must admit to having been astounded at the premium I went with this year.
Having had my cover from Safeguard for a few years (albeit with a good check every year to ensure value), I was always very impressed with the product I was buying from them, and still feel that what I paid for previous years was very good value.
I knew because of the big step change in vehicle I could expect a change in premium and was well prepared for that.
With Safeguard that rise in premium was in the order of which I was expecting given the increase in value and use/mileage, but I am now getting the same level of cover from NFU, having confirmed both the level of cover and the value, for half that price.
Unlike Safeguard it doesn't include breakdown/recovery, but a years ADAC cost €89 covering all my vehicles more than covers the difference.
It really is a postcode lottery combined with how the company rate the van, NFU have a good reputation but for us they were twice the price of Comfort whose cover more than meets our needs.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I see no financial logic in paying any more than is necessary to obtain the product / goods / services I require.

Until you come to claim, you never truly know the value of your insurance. Having worked in the motor trade, i have seen both ends of the scale, a guy who was paid in full and had a replacement vehicle, for an own fault accident, in under a week, and a guy who missed most of the summer trying to get paid out for a no fault accident and then struggled to re-insure.

Somewhere along the line, you get shafted.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
It really is a postcode lottery combined with how the company rate the van, NFU have a good reputation but for us they were twice the price of Comfort whose cover more than meets our needs.
I was with NFU for ten years dealing with local office, great service but price kept going up& up so changed to Comfort six years ago and still paying 50% less than six year ago.

OP
OP
MC 55 FUN

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Until you come to claim, you never truly know the value of your insurance.

Somewhere along the line, you get shafted.

This is true & I agree, I've insured various vehicles every year since 1976 & fortunately never yet needed to make a claim & hope I never do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back