Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Can anyone recommend sat nav for use in a MoHo. We are curently in France and have been sent down more gravel tracks than I can shake a stick at. Need a sat nav that can be used on the continent, can be programmed to stay away from the dreaded toll roads and most importantly keeps us on senisible wide open roads. Does such a sat nav exist?

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I am pleased to report great satisfaction with the Garmin 760 MTL, to date it has achieved all you ask - I can't say it always will but so far so good.

The other day on my way to Andorra I had set the route as avoid tolls but elected to use the autoroutes anyway. It was constantly trying to reroute me off the toll roads until I got to the N20 and there were no more.

I am sure others will be here to decry it but it certainly works for me and I wish I had not done my own thing yesterday.

Cheers Clive

:france::france::france:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I use a Garmin camper 760LM and has being ok ,but as you should know if in doubt change direction and in time they pick you up and reroute you .After all if your wife told you it was ok to jump of a cliff, you would check to make sure there was a mattress to land on.Same as a Sat Nav just take care and enjoy.lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
That's why I had to get rid of mine - never a mattress just a pile of rocks, spikes, acid ...

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have a Pioneer system, similar to this - .

Not cheap but is an excellent bit of kit which has never let me wander down a narrow road, you program it with your width and length and away you go.

Mike

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi CBrown1360

Can you advise on the Sat nav you have at the moment. If its one of the older Tomtoms you may be able to load the Camper Caravan map for about £80 which enables you to input sizes. It definitely routes differently than when set for a car.

I have had Tomtoms with few problems both in UK and Europe. I now also have recently been given the Garmin 660 LMT-D which is the 6" version of the unit Cleve has. I have commented about this unit on other topics here. Its driving instructions as you go along and its search facility are better than Tomtoms but in my area just 2 miles off the A2 and less than 25 miles from central London its current mapping is not up to date and in the same area its routing particularly for a 3500kg Motorhome is very poor.

As an example of just one of the routing oddities locally, at the A227/B260 junction it says ignore the B260 turn and take the next one within 20mtrs. Then drive along in front of the parade of shops, turn right at the end then turn right into the turning it ignored in the first place. In a car it is a okay but not to be recommended in a Motorhome

I have used the Garmin to drive down to Cornwall and back via Weymouth and had no problems. Todate I have not used it in France etc but generally my reservation at the moment is if the mapping/routing is as I have experience when testing it locally then it is definitely not as good as the tomtom's which replicates non of the problems I have witnessed on the Garmin.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I've got the Garmin 760, came with the van. Let's just say that despite putting in the size of RH it has taken me down some 'interesting' routes in the Confucian sense and it had me orbiting Taunton three times trying to take me down a closed road to cross the M5 to Vanbitz. I eventually had to head south until it came up with a route that took me via the M5 Taunton Deane services and a bunch of very narrow lanes... then later from a CC site near Stafford to Stafford, instead of a quick drop down to the A5 it decided to take me via every tiny single track backlane across country, my mirrors did survive, just but not sure about my nerves

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I've got the Garmin 760, came with the van. Let's just say that despite putting in the size of RH it has taken me down some 'interesting' routes in the Confucian sense and it had me orbiting Taunton three times trying to take me down a closed road to cross the M5 to Vanbitz. I eventually had to head south until it came up with a route that took me via the M5 Taunton Deane services and a bunch of very narrow lanes... then later from a CC site near Stafford to Stafford, instead of a quick drop down to the A5 it decided to take me via every tiny single track backlane across country, my mirrors did survive, just but not sure about my nerves
You need to ensure that you enter "fastest route" in settings and not shortest otherwise any satnav will guide you through unsuitable roads . Roy.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
My Garmin 660 is set on Fastest Route. If I set it to anything else I hate to think what it might do. Maybe it will give me a shopping list to collect from one of the shops it recommends passing bye!!!!!

Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Got a Snooper 6000 that came with the moho. It can be programmed with dimensions etc , but has still taken me down unsuitable routes. Only use it when we are close to our destination or when we are looking for a site nearby.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
So much choice of reasonable priced satnav today ,but none infallible..I have a Garmin which I quite like but it seems to be more at home in the car no matter what settings I put into it .. I have a Chinese one which I really hate and have only used once. I have a snooper ,caravan club edition which is really good in moho . But of course is quite expensive. However since April I have been testing an Aguri and running it alongside my snooper. I have extremely pleased with it so far ,in my opinion its far better than the snooper and half the price ....Roy

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We have a cheaper Garmin and a decent road map, I ignore any roads I don't like the look of on the map even if it means going a bit further ( it does suggest obviously unsuitable roads, but recalculates quickly). My wife follows the map to confirm that it is taking me the way I planned, tricky if you don't have a navigator with you though.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
You need to ensure that you enter "fastest route" in settings and not shortest otherwise any satnav will guide you through unsuitable roads . Roy.
I thought I had, but maybe not, I have a suspicion that being originally German it objects strongly to being Brexited and is just getting its own back:ROFLMAO: but thanks for the suggestion(y)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Your welcome Bart

One of the other odd routes I get is if I ask it to take me from Borough Green to Longfield it directs me via the M25 or via Snodland. Presumeably via the M25 so I can join the likely queue for the Dartford Tunnel or Via Snodland so I can see the Office I used to work in before I retired 15 years ago. I enjoyed working there but have no desire to revisit it.

It ignores the A227 which is the quickest and perfectly suitable road. Maybe it is embarrassed about directing me through the Shops.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Got a Snooper 6000 that came with the moho. It can be programmed with dimensions etc , but has still taken me down unsuitable routes. Only use it when we are close to our destination or when we are looking for a site nearby.
Huh... I was doing that unsuitable route bit with mine enroute to the CC site at Bovisand. Told me to turn into Bovisand Lane at which point I retorted YMBFJ! :eek::eek:The instructions said the entrance to the lane was narrow.... my moho is 7.55m wide and I reckon this entrance was actually 7.5501m wide. Having said that when I got onto the site there was a massive 5th wheel pantechnicon which was there one day and gone the next... I'm sure he actually beamed in and out or maybe it was Doctor Who in a disguised Tardis....:unsure::)
upload_2016-7-18_14-7-55.png

oops.. as DJA points out that should be 2.55 and the lane entrance 2.5501....

Last edited:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
How wide!!!!!!!!! 7.55m thats some motorhome. How long is it!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I've got the TomTom caravan one & haven't had a problem !!
But I do use common sense, If a road looks dodgy or it might be tight , i avoid it & wait for satnav to replan. I do think it takes me slightly longer than if I used a map (as it's set fastest route & avoid tolls , also my moho measurements ) , But I would rather arrive a bit later after no problems. But you do have to remember ,if going to a 5 van site it may be down some narrow lanes as you get nearer your destination,meaning there is no other way.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
I've got the TomTom caravan one & haven't had a problem !!
But I do use common sense, If a road looks dodgy or it might be tight , i avoid it & wait for satnav to replan.. But you do have to remember ,if going to a 5 van site it may be down some narrow lanes as you get nearer your destination,meaning there is no other way.

Aye thats what happened in Taunton... Road I needed to go down was closed so drove past it, Garmin Gerhardt replanned, I did a circuit of Taunton and ended up back at the same spot trying to turn into the closed road... Carried on, Gerhardt replanned, round Taunton again and back to the same !#**!!## road. As I was on my own and there are no places to park a moho, unsurprisingly, in the centre of Taunton, I ended up heading out of town down a random road. Found a garden centre, just closing, with a big carpark who kindly delayed shutting their gate until I left. Did some quick map reading, reset Gerhardt and off we went again... as it turned out for another !##$$** circuit of Taunton's fascinating one way system and back to the same !@@##$$%^ closed road.

So I decide that as I know Vanbitz is on otherside of the M5 I'll head south get onto the M5 and then head back North again to find a juction that will let me get onto the east side of the M5.. Cunning plan, that will fool Gerhardt, which almost worked... So thats how I ended up at Taunton Deane services which you will agree is not on the direct route from Scotland to Vanbitz....
Further planning ensued and another reprogram....
This time it sort of worked except Gerhardt then took me on a 30 mile tour of Somerset's smallest and prettiest back lanes back across the M5 to the West side!@@#$%%^... Then proceeded without a care in the world to direct me past the other end of the closed !@@#$%%& road and on to Vanbitz. My wife and @eddievanbitz (at least I think twas himself) looked at me in a puzzled way as she had arrived about 2 hours earlier courtesy of TomTom... I think Eddie was convinced she was making it up about having a large moho just behind her.....

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Robin McHood

Thats made me think.

I must have a look to see if you can advise the Garmin the road ahead is blocked like you can on the Tomtom.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Hi Robin McHood

Thats made me think.

I must have a look to see if you can advise the Garmin the road ahead is blocked like you can on the Tomtom.
Anything that goes along the line of a voice command something like "That !@#$% road is SHUT" would be perfect:):):)

If suitably inebriated I may regale you of the other various ways I covered myself in moho glory at Vanbitz.. I may never be able to show my face again without a false beard and a ginger wig, preferably with RH disguised as a 5th wheel.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Not good news Robin

It seems that based on your experience you will have to hope there is a Garden Centre close by so you can stop as you have to go into Settings and click,on the map, both ends of the Road that is blocked, closed or you want to avoid. Your suggested gentle word in its ear is not an option.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I may have lost the fiver prize money for mentioning Chinese sat navs first but we have just done two weeks in France with it set as coach, no tolls and easy as against shortest/fastest and had no problems at all. (y):D

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Not good news Robin

It seems that based on your experience you will have to hope there is a Garden Centre close by so you can stop as you have to go into Settings and click,on the map, both ends of the Road that is blocked, closed or you want to avoid. Your suggested gentle word in its ear is not an option.
I suspected as much, always been a TomTom man carwise which if sworn at often enough does finally decide that you want an alternate route and not to phone home. Thanks for looking (y), so I will now start working on a Garden Centre Carpark POI map to upload to Useful Links for other Garmin owners...:D

Reactions: DJA

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back