MoHo friendly sat nav?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by cbrown1360, Jul 16, 2016.

1. cbrown1360

cbrown1360 Funster

Can anyone recommend sat nav for use in a MoHo. We are curently in France and have been sent down more gravel tracks than I can shake a stick at. Need a sat nav that can be used on the continent, can be programmed to stay away from the dreaded toll roads and most importantly keeps us on senisible wide open roads. Does such a sat nav exist?

2. Cleve

Cleve Funster

I am pleased to report great satisfaction with the Garmin 760 MTL, to date it has achieved all you ask - I can't say it always will but so far so good.

The other day on my way to Andorra I had set the route as avoid tolls but elected to use the autoroutes anyway. It was constantly trying to reroute me off the toll roads until I got to the N20 and there were no more.

I am sure others will be here to decry it but it certainly works for me and I wish I had not done my own thing yesterday.

Cheers Clive

:france::france::france:

3. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

I use a Garmin camper 760LM and has being ok ,but as you should know if in doubt change direction and in time they pick you up and reroute you .After all if your wife told you it was ok to jump of a cliff, you would check to make sure there was a mattress to land on.Same as a Sat Nav just take care and enjoy.lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cleve

Cleve Funster

That's why I had to get rid of mine - never a mattress just a pile of rocks, spikes, acid ...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Xabia

Xabia Funster

6. DJA

DJA Funster

Hi CBrown1360

Can you advise on the Sat nav you have at the moment. If its one of the older Tomtoms you may be able to load the Camper Caravan map for about £80 which enables you to input sizes. It definitely routes differently than when set for a car.

I have had Tomtoms with few problems both in UK and Europe. I now also have recently been given the Garmin 660 LMT-D which is the 6" version of the unit Cleve has. I have commented about this unit on other topics here. Its driving instructions as you go along and its search facility are better than Tomtoms but in my area just 2 miles off the A2 and less than 25 miles from central London its current mapping is not up to date and in the same area its routing particularly for a 3500kg Motorhome is very poor.

As an example of just one of the routing oddities locally, at the A227/B260 junction it says ignore the B260 turn and take the next one within 20mtrs. Then drive along in front of the parade of shops, turn right at the end then turn right into the turning it ignored in the first place. In a car it is a okay but not to be recommended in a Motorhome

I have used the Garmin to drive down to Cornwall and back via Weymouth and had no problems. Todate I have not used it in France etc but generally my reservation at the moment is if the mapping/routing is as I have experience when testing it locally then it is definitely not as good as the tomtom's which replicates non of the problems I have witnessed on the Garmin.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  7. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

I've got the Garmin 760, came with the van. Let's just say that despite putting in the size of RH it has taken me down some 'interesting' routes in the Confucian sense and it had me orbiting Taunton three times trying to take me down a closed road to cross the M5 to Vanbitz. I eventually had to head south until it came up with a route that took me via the M5 Taunton Deane services and a bunch of very narrow lanes... then later from a CC site near Stafford to Stafford, instead of a quick drop down to the A5 it decided to take me via every tiny single track backlane across country, my mirrors did survive, just but not sure about my nerves

8. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Sorry but I do laugh every time I read those words "My sat nav took me............"

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

You need to ensure that you enter "fastest route" in settings and not shortest otherwise any satnav will guide you through unsuitable roads . Roy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. DJA

DJA Funster

My Garmin 660 is set on Fastest Route. If I set it to anything else I hate to think what it might do. Maybe it will give me a shopping list to collect from one of the shops it recommends passing bye!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

A fiver for the first funster to mention Chinese satnavs. (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. smithy184

smithy184 Funster

Got a Snooper 6000 that came with the moho. It can be programmed with dimensions etc , but has still taken me down unsuitable routes. Only use it when we are close to our destination or when we are looking for a site nearby.

13. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Chinese satnavs .please send money to Jim so that he can forward it to me . Thankyou so much .lols

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

So much choice of reasonable priced satnav today ,but none infallible..I have a Garmin which I quite like but it seems to be more at home in the car no matter what settings I put into it .. I have a Chinese one which I really hate and have only used once. I have a snooper ,caravan club edition which is really good in moho . But of course is quite expensive. However since April I have been testing an Aguri and running it alongside my snooper. I have extremely pleased with it so far ,in my opinion its far better than the snooper and half the price ....Roy

16. Jasz

Jasz Funster

We have a cheaper Garmin and a decent road map, I ignore any roads I don't like the look of on the map even if it means going a bit further ( it does suggest obviously unsuitable roads, but recalculates quickly). My wife follows the map to confirm that it is taking me the way I planned, tricky if you don't have a navigator with you though.

17. Bart

Bart Funster

Lol you made my night :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

I thought I had, but maybe not, I have a suspicion that being originally German it objects strongly to being Brexited and is just getting its own back:ROFLMAO: but thanks for the suggestion(y)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. DJA

DJA Funster

Your welcome Bart

One of the other odd routes I get is if I ask it to take me from Borough Green to Longfield it directs me via the M25 or via Snodland. Presumeably via the M25 so I can join the likely queue for the Dartford Tunnel or Via Snodland so I can see the Office I used to work in before I retired 15 years ago. I enjoyed working there but have no desire to revisit it.

It ignores the A227 which is the quickest and perfectly suitable road. Maybe it is embarrassed about directing me through the Shops.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Huh... I was doing that unsuitable route bit with mine enroute to the CC site at Bovisand. Told me to turn into Bovisand Lane at which point I retorted YMBFJ! :eek::eek:The instructions said the entrance to the lane was narrow.... my moho is 7.55m wide and I reckon this entrance was actually 7.5501m wide. Having said that when I got onto the site there was a massive 5th wheel pantechnicon which was there one day and gone the next... I'm sure he actually beamed in and out or maybe it was Doctor Who in a disguised Tardis....:unsure::)
    upload_2016-7-18_14-7-55.png

oops.. as DJA points out that should be 2.55 and the lane entrance 2.5501....

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016