Mohawk roof bars (1 Viewer)

Mohawk Dave

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Funster No
I would like to put sea kayaks on top of my Mohawk , I have tried Auto Traill but thiers is just too small and light. I was thinking of having one made and landing it on the roof directly above the bedroom partitions. I know their may be a warenty issue with this but I dont see any other way.
I am looking for advise as to what fixings I should use .
Thanks Dave

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Dave,
I put two 35kg "twin "sit on tops" on my autotrail. I cut up an old alluminum step ladder and attached two sections of ladder to the roofrack, this was to raise the height of the platform so that when the canoes were in place they were not interfering with vents and stuff. I found that two canoes would sit on the rack side by side and the end of the canoes were secured to a spoiler that the Autotrail had along the back edge of the roof. These two points of contact were enough to secure 70kg of canoe during quite a few trips to spain.

If you get on your roof regularly then you must check all the seals, especialy the large roof lights as the seals will fail. The weight of a person (especially me:Blush:) and the canoes regularly on the roof does make them flex somewhat. I was replacing the sealant every 18 months.

OP
OP
M

Mohawk Dave

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Funster No
Thanks Jim, you got any pics?
I am busting to get the Yaks away with the MH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Mohawk Dave

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Funster No
photo2-28.jpg

any thoughts, screwed down with self tappers

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Looks good to me, Canoes stowed upside down pointy bits forward shouldn't give too much drag, give it a go, the worst that can happen is that they come off, destroy your roof and cause a massive traffic accident:ROFLMAO:

That said they look more substantial than the ones I had 70k of canoe strapped to. :Smile:

Hi Dave, it looks like you've used all your complimentary posts so its time to consider if you want to subscribe Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back