LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Apparently this problem affects ALL automatic dishes and is down to the fact that Astra2 has narrowed the beam so that there is a stronger signal to the UK. The BBC do not want their channels broadcast outside of the UK so looks like you might lose them forever. The other UK channels are being moved to a new sat that will cover Europe. However that will not be in final position until December so no immediate fix is available other than manual tuning. not looking good is it. If you are going abroad take lots of DVD's with you. Good luck, catch up on BBC programs by internet streaming when you have a decent signal for free.

The trouble is that I have tried Internet streaming and the computer knows I am not in UK and will not allow the streaming or download. JJ recommended a site to give a false identity but I can't remember which website he said was the best.

Ginny

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The trouble is that I have tried Internet streaming and the computer knows I am not in UK and will not allow the streaming or download. JJ recommended a site to give a false identity but I can't remember which website he said was the best.

Ginny

Ginny as the thread is[HI] ALL about Mobilsat[/HI] I won't move the this thread/subject into internet streaming. If you want to start a thread on that subject I post on that thread. I have no problems living in Spain and using streaming or downloading.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Ginny as the thread is[HI] ALL about Mobilsat[/HI] I won't move the this thread/subject into internet streaming. If you want to start a thread on that subject I post on that thread. I have no problems living in Spain and using streaming or downloading.
John, whilst you have posted in this thread it is not your thread nor is it your place to move any subject into another thread, unless of course you have become a moderator??????????:Eeek:
A thread evolves and raises questions that people need answers to. I'm sure that when JJ reads this he will repost the link re internet streaming from an overseas address.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
John, whilst you have posted in this thread it is not your thread nor is it your place to move any subject into another thread, unless of course you have become a moderator??????????:Eeek:
A thread evolves and raises questions that people need answers to. I'm sure that when JJ reads this he will repost the link re internet streaming from an overseas address.:thumb:

I could not MOVE any SUBJECT into another thread I MERELY suggested ( KEY word is SUGGEST ) he start a new thread..................................:winky:

OP
OP
G

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
One of the most frustrating thinks about many forums, imho, is when someone posts completely off topic, rather than start a new thread and then the whole thing dissolves.

Picking up on "Fit for Purpose" I think it could be argued that manufacturers might have foreseen the possibility of their key frequency disappearing, or even becoming faulty, and should have built-in the facility for the user to re-program the unit through the internet.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Ginny

I'm sorry this is not off topic it is one the current answers to the problem until the manufacturers sort things out.
The site you were looking for was
http://www.expatshield.com/
there that didn't hurt did it.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Satellite

Hi

In relation to locking on, we have a Kathrein CAP 900 satellite system. We have had it for years and as recently as September 2012, we were able to get BBC/ITV/C4 and C5 at Lake Garda. This year we could not get C5 but could get the others. This is due to C5 now being broadcast from the Astra2F whilst the other channels I mention are transmitted from Astra1N. These channels will however soon move to Astra2E which will have a similar foot print to Astra2F and of course this is a smaller footprint than Astra1N. (In the past, this lot of channels were all on Astra2D.)

At Lake Maggiore, about 100 miles closer to home, we were able to get C5 again.

In terms of locking on, if you were using a manual dish, you still point to the same place as previously - the position from where the signals are coming from has not changed.

Astra2E was launched a few days ago and I think the satellite is where it needs to be "in space" but obviously more testing has to be done before channels can be moved over. Until the move of channels is completed, we do not know what channels we will get where and on what sized dish!

As for auto locking on, I do not wish to tempt fate, but our Kathrein is fine at locking on.

Russell

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
One of the most frustrating thinks about many forums, imho, is when someone posts completely off topic, rather than start a new thread and then the whole thing dissolves.

Picking up on "Fit for Purpose" I think it could be argued that manufacturers might have foreseen the possibility of their key frequency disappearing, or even becoming faulty, and should have built-in the facility for the user to re-program the unit through the internet.

I think they have as there is a RS232 port and although I cannot find it there is a USB port for updates. The problem is that it is made in Italy and they use/used a transponder that is strong there, but not in UK,France,Germany etc.
I think when the new sat is the correct orbit they will push out a "software" update.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Hi

In relation to locking on, we have a Kathrein CAP 900 satellite system. We have had it for years and as recently as September 2012, we were able to get BBC/ITV/C4 and C5 at Lake Garda. This year we could not get C5 but could get the others. This is due to C5 now being broadcast from the Astra2F whilst the other channels I mention are transmitted from Astra1N. These channels will however soon move to Astra2E which will have a similar foot print to Astra2F and of course this is a smaller footprint than Astra1N. (In the past, this lot of channels were all on Astra2D.)

At Lake Maggiore, about 100 miles closer to home, we were able to get C5 again.

In terms of locking on, if you were using a manual dish, you still point to the same place as previously - the position from where the signals are coming from has not changed.

Astra2E was launched a few days ago and I think the [HI]satellite is where it needs to be[/HI] "in space" but obviously more testing has to be done before channels can be moved over. Until the move of channels is completed, we do not know what channels we will get where and on what sized dish!

As for auto locking on, I do not wish to tempt fate, but our Kathrein is fine at locking on.

Russell

Not to my knowledge as initially it will be at 43 degrees east for testing frequencies, transponders and power - then and only then will it be moved to orbit of the rest of Sky UK satellites. This will be sometime in December.

OP
OP
G

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
There's quite a good website Broken Link Removed discussing various changes to the Astra satellites.

There's also a link to a map showing user reports to which all can contribute.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My Neta also will not lock on, never been a problem :Eeek:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
looks like my isat has packed up as well

Larrynwin said:
My Neta also will not lock on, never been a problem

Oh dear lads. :Sad: You might be better off with one of these. :winky: I lock on every time. ::bigsmile:

Yes, I know, I'm not being very helpful. :Doh:

Hope everyone who is having trouble with their expensive motorised satellite dishes, can find a fix for the problem. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Oh dear lads. :Sad: You might be better off with one of these. :winky: I lock on every time. ::bigsmile:

Yes, I know, I'm not being very helpful. :Doh:

Hope everyone who is having trouble with their expensive motorised satellite dishes, can find a fix for the problem. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

I always carry a portable 80cm dish as back up so until fixed will have to fiddle with meter etc :RollEyes:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
It has nothing to do with the "beam" it is ALL transponder based. The automatic systems are ALL looking for a transponder that is now switched off and therefore can not lock on automatically. Until they write the software with the new transponder freq we are a bit stuffed.

Eddievanbits gave an excellent fix for the KVH DOME, I suppose domes and dishes work on the same frequency.

Try the KVH thread, it might work!

Ginny

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Yes it would appear that the transponder that the software uses to lock onto the Sat has been switched off and therefore the system cannot find Astra 2. I have emailed Mobilsat Italy to see if I can get reply....... might be some time.

So can anybody explain why millions of home sat systems are not affected by all this , only our automatic systems. :Doh:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
So can anybody explain why millions of home sat systems are not affected by all this , only our automatic systems. :Doh:

Because your "home sat" system is a fixed dish therefore does not require any frequency/transponder/channel to lock onto. It is not "software" driven and requires no realignment. If it is a Sky Box it will automatically add the new channels/transponders/frequencies as and when they are added or removed.

The MH system works on a software based system that looks for a transponder/frequency/channel on a compass bearing within the software ( hence you can park the MH anyway you want ) however the transponder/frequency/channel was switched off by the techs at Sky as they are moving channels onto new transponders/frequencies. Until the new satellite is moved from it's current testing orbit and into the 28E orbit no MH Satellite manufacturer is going to do anything about it. We will all have to wait until at least December for the fix........

Long winded but I hope you now understand.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Thanks John , a bit clearer now, if I remember my home sky box used to give the transponder/ frequency setting in the box menu system ( I think I copied these to my oyster box about a year ago) but I just checked my home sky box and these settings have disappeared. Thanks :thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp

Trackvision told me today that astra 2 is changing slightly, if i go to sky 1 and then switch auto search and then it may find that, when it has change channel to BBC1 and it may settle, its a reprogramme needed by a dealer but they have not finished yet so wait before getting it done, back to freeview for a while for me

Dave

OP
OP
G

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The UK distributor of Mobilsat advises that there is no fix at the present, but that it is possible to tune manually. Turn the tv on and choose a channel, then select Astra1 on the control panel and wait for it to find the satellite and then go into manual mode and move the dish counterclockwise a few centimeters, using the Right arrow (not left as in the manual). The instruction manual explains how to do this.

I couldn't get Astra1 but could get Hotbird and by moving it small increments at a time and tilting it down a little I was able to tune it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I got in touch with the NETA dome supplier LCS Leisure who have pointed me to a download pdf with instructions to correct the antenna settings .
I will give this a try and post back.

Is there a similar resolution from other satellite system suppliers ??

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I got in touch with the NETA dome supplier LCS Leisure who have pointed me to a download pdf with instructions to correct the antenna settings .
I will give this a try and post back.

[HI]Is there a similar resolution from other satellite system suppliers ??[/HI]

Nop:Sad:

Sep 21, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Transit Coachbuilt
Exp
Well travelled ex tugger.
My Oyster Auto dish was unable to lock onto Astra 2 after 29th September 2013

With luck below is the response from Oyster. I did this and I've had no problems since. I currently in Figuera da Foz Portugal.

Good afternoon Mr Dewitt,

The problem occured over the weekend when a number of frequencies were shut down and the channels transferred.
Is your system an Oyster Vision II? If so you'll have a small control box with four buttons and an LED display. If you have this system what you will need to do is put the system on a search for astra 2 and as the dish spins, press and hold the right arrow button. It will display the current frequency it's searching for which will probably be 11681. If this is the case then while still holding down the right arrow, press the left arrow once. The screen should then read 12070. If it does, let go of the button and the system should lock on. Job done.
If you have a different system to the one I've described then please give me a call on either of the numbers below and I can then advise better on the next course of action.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Read
Senior Technical Advisor
Oyster Sat-Tech
Unit 5
Hemploe Business Park
Hemploe Road
Welford
Northamptonshire
NN6 6HF

Office: 01858575928
Mobile: 07979745688
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Dewitt" <dave.dewitt7@me.com>
To: <info@oystersat-tech.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:05 PM
Subject: Astra2

Hi

I have an oyster satellite dish on the roof of my Motorhome. I am touring Spain and Portugal. I am currently in Porto Portugal. My dish has been unable to automatically lock onto Astra 2 for some days, although small portable dishes have been able to. I understand that there have recently been changes to Astra 2 and this may have affected my dish.

Can you please advise?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPad

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just for info only

We are now at Costa de Caparica just below Lisboa on the Portuguese coast and I can set my Mobilsat to Hotbird and it finds it and locks on but no useable signal I can tweak it manually and get a very un-useable signal on Astra 2, so it looks like Astra 1 again tonight and flipping news, news and more news. Watch this space as I will report as we begin to head east towards Albuferia. Incidentley there is only a cock hair between Hotbird, Astra 1 and Astra 2. Oh and I have twiddled with the LNB to see if I could optimise the signal but no such luck

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We stayed a couple of nights at Costa Caparica in Feb this year, missed the turn and went across the big bridge into Lisbon :Eeek:
Lisbon is worth a visit :thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
The more I learn about flipping satellites the less I know

We have moved to Lousal, a little ex mining town in Portugal, and are about 100 miles south from yesterday and about on the same longditude, where no amount of searching would yield Asr

ta 2

I tried to find Astra 2 manually and failed so for the heck of it manually tuned to Astra 1 and even though there was no signal showing from the Silvercrest box I re-tuned to the 19 .2 E channels and it gets none of the normal forgein channels but all of the BBC and ITV channels.

If I switch the box to 28.2 it shows no signal, so hardly worth trying the Sky box, even if I was tempted as she will hurt me as it is Sunday and right now is set up for her countryfile programme .

The only sensible reason at the present is that my Silvercrest box is telling porkies

Watch this space I will eventually be a Mobilsat expert

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back