Mobilsat+ & Astra2

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Geejay, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Geejay

Geejay Funster

Am in UK and couldn't find Astra2 today, but can get Hotbird. It's Mobilsat automatic system, about a year old. I know some things have changed and wonder if it's looking for a frequency that no longer carries channels.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this, or do I need a software update?

Many thanks for any help.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. laneside

laneside Funster

Join the club, mine has been just fine all the way down France but died on Saturday. I did manage a manual tune last night but cannot find it tonight

• Like Like x 1
  3. Geejay

Geejay Funster

I might need to email the distributor.

4. laneside

laneside Funster

Being as we are in Spain and heading towards Portugal we would appreciate any info you may get on here please

Cheers Alan

5. Geejay

Geejay Funster

If I find a solution I'll post it here. Hopefully some expert will be along to advise. Graham

6. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

If you are heading to Portugal, remember to fill up just before you cross the bridge as its cheaper by far.

My house is just off the A49 between Seville and Portugal and I try and fill up there when I am over that way.

Anything else just PM me :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. buckby

buckby

we have an alden i lost a few channels at weekend but just been outside and re tuned free sat box and got them back seems ok

8. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Well I can confirm that I cannot find Astra 2 on my Mobilesat system as just pulled MH out and tried. As it was working in the same spot 10 days ago I can only guess that they are messing with the orbits of the satellites, which would make the "footprint" hard to find here in Spain and the EU as just called mate in UK and asked him to check his MH dish and it locked onto Astra 2 in seconds. In my home here we are getting all Sky channels without problem, but it is a 1.9Mtr dish fixed. We will just have to wait a few days and see what happens when the new satellite is moved into the correct orbit. Fingers crossed

9. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Please let us know, we are off to Spain in December and would like to know if we should take our 1.2 metre dish.

Ginny

10. Geejay

Geejay Funster

Mobilsat Update

I have just spoken to Miriad Products who are the UK distributors for Mobilsat. He says the transponder which Mobilsat use to tune the dish was turned off at the weekend and he's been flooded with calls from the public which was the first he'd heard that there was a problem. They are working with the factory in Italy to get a fix. It may mean sending the control unit back to Miriad who will install the update. They are also looking at other solutions, such as through the internet, to see if any are available.

Unfortunately he can't say when this will be sorted, as it's the factory in Milan who need to get something worked out, but he assures me they are doing all they can to ensure that customers get the help they need. Hopefully, it will be days rather than weeks and months.

• Like Like x 2
  11. laneside

laneside Funster

Someone up there is buggering about with Astra 2.

We are still about 20 miles south and a bit west of Santander and I have just pressed the button on our Mobilsat and hey pressto look what we have, I dare not experiment or even touch it or she will hurt me

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I think you have been lucky and locked on and because the "footprint" is larger you have got a lock, I have just come back from our MH having been there all day and even changed the factory LNB for a 0.01Db gain version and still no lock. I can lock manually no problem, but what a pain in the ass...... Hope they get the finger out ASAP......

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

no problem at the buzzard I checked today, so just mobilesat users I guess.

14. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Yes it would appear that the transponder that the software uses to lock onto the Sat has been switched off and therefore the system cannot find Astra 2. I have emailed Mobilsat Italy to see if I can get reply....... might be some time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Geejay

Geejay Funster

According to the guy I spoke to Glomax had the same problem last week and I've read elsewhere that Oyster have been affected too. So it could be quite a few systems down, depending on how easy they are to fix with an update.

16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

The problem is not the update it is how they will do it. If it is a simple RS232 cable connection and update via computer thats fine, however I think it will be a "recall" to the factory/fitter for the update which could mean removing the control box and sending back to factory. If this is the case do not plan on a fix until late December or early next year. The reason for my prediction is until the new satellite is in correct orbit and has new transponders running they will not waste money on a "quick fix".
    For now it's back to manual tuning of Astra 2, which for some will be a hoot.........:cry:

17. Geejay

Geejay Funster

The Mobilsat website says the control box has a usb port for updating, but it must be inside. My box has a warranty sticker over one of the screws so I didn't look inside to check.

18. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

What Alden system have you got? . .. . . And how did you re-tune it.?

We have a libertas HD+Ci and have had a few problems getting it to lock on to astra satellites

19. elamessa

elamessa Funster

I think you'll have to contact Alden for an update.
    I spoke to them at the Paris show last week and asked if the new satellite launch would affect me. I was told if you have an HD Libertas then they would email an update to flash to the box if it was an SD box then it would have to be returned to them for the upgrade.

You can phone Clair on 03 88 74 18 18 she speaks/is english. Failing that the technical number is 08 20 02 55 25 (cost 0.11€/min) open from Monday 16h to 18h, Tue - Fri 11h to 12h / 16h to 18h.

Website http://alden.fr/

HTH
    Steve

20. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Mobiltech

Received reply this morning ( below ) Please all Mobilsat owners email them ( link at bottom of the page for answer on software update. The more that do it the quicker it will be. I have informed them that I will be returning my system to the dealer for a FULL refund as "not fit for purpose" ( thats hard as I fitted it myself!!! ) and awaiting reply on that one!!

MOBILTECH
    10 October 2013 09:56

Dear Mr. John,

Astra 2 is changing all the signals.

In the meantime, you can quickly search for Astra 2, pointing the satellite Astra 3 and moving the dish in hand counterclockwise.

BR

a2j_20070716_Loghi

di Barin Luca & C. s.a.s.

Sede Legale: Via Bassano del Grappa 10/12 - 20814 Varedo (MI)

Sede operativa: Via Brughetti 9/E – 20813 Bovisio Masciago (MI)

tel 0362/544928 - fax 0362/576478

web: www.mobiltech.it - info@mobiltech.it