Mobile wifi/internet

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by Road Runner, May 13, 2014.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Mobile internet

I have gift gaff in my smartphone and well pleased (seems genuinely unlimited to) but can't tether.

so

Use gift gaff data in my dongle for laptop and its terrible drops out constantly.

What are you using for mobile laptop usage?

Been looking a 3 but not sure.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. zulurita

zulurita Funster

I don't think Giff Gaff like you to tether. a friend has it and they cut his internet off for a time ? 20 mins not sure.

I use 3 in my MiFi unit.

3. shinysideup

shinysideup Funster

I have 3 tethering costs 5 quid a month for 1 gig. I have used it in various locations and never had a problem. We both surf via our kindles and have no probs.

Good luck. Steve.

4. tofo

tofo Funster

Get another giffgaff sim
    And an O2 dongle (gg uses O2 network)

5. mojo

mojo Funster

ee

We use EE 4gb plan (£26.99 monthly) with unlimited minutes and texts including some European countries at no extra costs for the calls and texts but not the data.
    We tether laptops and kindles and find 4gb covers ok for one month.Also have the wife phone shared on to the same plan so only one mobile phone bill.
    We get coverage when our sons Giff Gaff does not.

6. Road Runner

I have the giff gaff in my phone and really great but they know straight off if you tether and as said a 20 min disconnection:cry:

Then i have a seperate giff gaff card for data in a dongle. Its rubbish though:Doh:

Been looking a 3 all you can eat card for phone 200 mins all you can eat data for phone and 2gb tethering data. £12.99.

Decision:shout:

7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We have the eat all you can (if you get a signal) 3 on our router.. Works OK.. Both our phones are 4g too and can be used if required

8. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I assume that you are using a goodybag? If so then any that have unlimited data do not allow tethering. Any with limited data (so the £7.50 and £10 goodybags and all the gigabags) allow tethering. If you click on the more info button for each goodybag it clearly tells you whether or not tethering is permitted.

9. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hi John!

We had the same problem last year JJ and I when in the UK . JJ had a giffgaff but could not tether.... which of course annoyed me to such a point JJ had to find some place for me to buy my own sim card:Blush::RollEyes:

But I was with Rex and Marie (PenelopePitstop) last week end and Rex told me he could tether with his giffgaff sim card . So may be you could PM him for more info, assuming they have internet to answer as they are on they way back to the UK!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  10. aba

aba

Just got a new mifi on contract with 3 as the pay as you go one was working out too expensive at £25 for 7GB for 30 days as we use a bit more so instead of topping up 12 times a year we probably topped up 14/15 times.

The new unit gives 15GB for £21.10 per month.
    It seems to get better reception and is faster than the old one

• Like Like x 1
  11. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

if its an android phone download an app called FOXFi it will allow you to tether:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Road Runner

Well that seems to working fine TA!:BigGrin:

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Just a warning about '3' ... Carphone Warehouse said they don't stock any products of theirs now due to the problems they've had with them not being able to provide a service, with loads of complaints from customers etc. We were in the CW shop again today (don't ask!) and found out that '3' were the first major mobile broadband provider and as a consequence their masts are now severely degraded as they need replacing which is why there are so many problems. so if you are thinking of going with 3 get them to check the state of the mast in your area, the one near us is severely degraded and has been for a long time, hence why we've had to buy a third 30-day data sim from another provider to be able to use the internet! Hopefully by the time we return from holiday in early July it the '3' network will be usable again ... well ... we can dream can't we! :RollEyes:

14. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I experienced this with 3 too. I was with them for several years. In my area the service became so bad I could't even get a phone signal never mind data.

The other thing to remember with 3 is that if you do have a problem their customer service level varies from blindly incompetent to maliciously unhelpful :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  15. funman

funman Read Only Funster

What is tethering?

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

It is when you use your mobile phones data allowance and literally link your laptop/tablet etc to it to utilise the data, depending on the phone you may have to physically attach it with a 'tether' (ie a cable, hence the name) or do it by creating a wifi 'hotspot' with your phone to which you connect your table/laptop wirelessly.

Most mobile phone sim providers won't allow you to connect another item (ie laptop/tablet) as you tend to use up a lot more data that way, so unless your mobile phone sim provider allows for tethering you need to find another way to connect to the internet from your laptop/tablet ... however the android app mentioned above may be an option.

17. geoffles

geoffles

Hi sorry to sound thick, but cant you tether a device off your mobile ?

18. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Sometimes yes depending on your service provider but as Minx said you need to be careful of your data allowance - a mobile phone data allowance is designed to provide for normal use on a mobile phone. It won't last very long at all if you start doing data heavy things i.e. streaming video (Youtube etc) on something with a big screen like a tablet or laptop. Where service providers don't let you tether it is to stop you doing this, not realising, using colossal amounts of data and ending up with a huge bill.

• Like Like x 1
  19. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Whether you can tether or not also depends upon the mobile phone you have. Most modern smartphones are capable of it, but older smartphones and most simple phones are not.

20. ukbill

ukbill Funster

maybe im being stupid here but why do people need such large amounts of data to use in the uk surely you all have home bb to use wen at home ?