Mobile phones. (1 Viewer)

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Has anybody used cheap sim cards for use abroad such as Lycamobile toggle?

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Sim Cards

I'm more likely to buy pay as you go sim cards in frequently visited countries. Of course you need your phone unlocked,

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Sim Card

Have you looked at the Toggle Sim Card

I saw a thread on "another" site praising it so sent for one.
You top it up then register which country you are visiting.
Calls are charged at 3p per minute to uk and calls from the uk to your toggle phone are free.:roflmto:

I have yet to try mine as we do not leave for Sweden until the end of April.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Have you looked at the Toggle Sim Card

I saw a thread on "another" site praising it so sent for one.
You top it up then register which country you are visiting.
Calls are charged at 3p per minute to uk and calls from the uk to your toggle phone are free.:roflmto:

I have yet to try mine as we do not leave for Sweden until the end of April.:Doh:

It's not so much about the cost of calls and text these days.... You can have calls and text already for next to nothing. People want data and internet access..

Then you can use Skype, Viber, chat, messenger etc, and all other internet communication platforms.

The phone companies realise that, and that's why the data charges are still so high.
I use local sims wherever possible, as well as free wifi and hotspots etc...

I think Toggle is currently 15 pence per megabyte for data....:Doh: SO EXPENSIVE.......

Cheap phone calls will not let you access FUN, Google the next campsite, check the weather reports, book your ferry tickets or check your e-mails...........:Smile:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Toggle is good - but they recently changed the countries you can receive free calls in:
Broken Link Removed

You get an UK mobile phone number - so friends and family can call you for the same cost as calling a UK mobile (or free if they have inclusive minutes). A great way to keep in touch for calls and if you want to make a call, just send a text or "three ring" them and get them to call you back.

The alternative to Toggle is the eKit Global SIM which allows free incoming calls in more countries - including Morocco. We took this one away with us - a great investment.
http://www.0044.co.uk/global/sim-card.htm

I think Toggle is currently 15 pence per megabyte for data....:Doh: SO EXPENSIVE.......

15p per MB is fairly cheap for roaming - the cap is currently 21p dropping to 16p in 2014.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Commission_roaming_regulations

The EuropaSIM offers 100Mb for £2.15 - so 2.15p per MB for any country in Europe for the same SIM card (and 500Mb for £2.15 in Italy).

At the moment I think the above are the best "pan european" options. Of course if you intend to stay in any country for a period of time you might get a better deal specific to that one country.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
[HI]15p per MB is fairly cheap for roaming[/HI] - the cap is currently 21p dropping to 16p in 2014.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Commission_roaming_regulations

The EuropaSIM offers 100Mb for £2.15 - so 2.15p per MB for any country in Europe for the same SIM card (and 500Mb for £2.15 in Italy).

At the moment I think the above are the best "pan european" options. Of course if you intend to stay in any country for a period of time you might get a better deal specific to that one country.[/QUOTE]

Not cheap in my book........ What's a period of time, for me it's a few days or more, which I do all the time in Europe just now.

If you want data, this is not the way to do it.

Remember the Europa sim is €2.50 for 100mb max. If you only use 50mb you still pay €2.50, so that's .05 per mb.... If you go over 100mb, it's €1 per mb.

So if you use less than 100 mb exactly each day, the cost per mb increases pro rata. In Germany for example I have totally unlimited per day for €2.50 ...

I also have local euro sims with 1Gb for €10, 30 days, so thats 1 cent per mb for 30 days. If you use Europasims every day it will cost you €75 per month.:

BigGrin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not cheap in my book........ What's a period of time, for me it's a few days or more, which I do all the time in Europe just now.

If you want data, this is not the way to do it.

Remember the Europa sim is €2.50 for 100mb max. If you only use 50mb you still pay €2.50, so that's .05 per mb.... If you go over 100mb, it's €1 per mb.

So if you use less than 100 mb exactly each day, the cost per mb increases pro rata. In Germany for example I have totally unlimited per day for €2.50 ...

I also have local euro sims with 1Gb for €10, 30 days, so thats 1 cent per mb for 30 days. If you use Europasims every day it will cost you €75 per month.:

I agree with everything you have posted Callumwa - but we're not talking about the same thing. You're talking about local SIM's - I'm talking about roaming - using the same sim in multiple countries.

Of course - if you can get a local SIM this will almost always work out cheaper, but not everyone can be bothered with the hassle of working out which provider gives the best deal - especially if you're only in France for 4 days en-route to Spain for example.

Its amazing what you can do with a small amount of data. I ran 2 businesses from 25Mb/day (Vodafone Data Traveller, when it existed) thanks to Blackberry text-only e-mail and Opera Mini browser which massively compresses web pages before you download them (www.opera.com).

These along with WiFi are all tools to help us get online - they all have their place depending on the individuals needs. For a lot of people once a week is enough for internet access (I know, I find it hard to believe too!).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back