Mobile Phone Tracker

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ramsthom, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ramsthom

ramsthom Funster

:BigGrin:Read in the paper today that if your mobie phone is switched on they can track your position in shopping centres, to establish which shops you have visited.
    Just an idea but could you make a motorhome tracker unit by using a cheap mobile phone, connect it with a charger to the leisure battery. swiitch it on and conceal it somewhere. Would it be possible to trace the phone position if the vehical was stolen. :BigGrin:

2. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi we have a tracker that was fitted before we bought the van and it works with a sim card just have to top up £5 every 3 months and make a call from it this is done by texting the tracker and it calls back. I have been told they aren't that good but will do me. I have heard of people leaving a mobile hidden in their car so if it gets stolen so i suppose to answer your question yes

3. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

One problem with these (GSM?) trackers is that they suffer the same signal problems as phones. So if somebody steals your motorhome and parks it up in an underground car park (or any where near Cheddar Gorge if my recent experience is anything to go by) you're stuffed.

A professional outfit will probably be able to jam the signal too.

4. MikeD

MikeD Funster

My work involves inspection of moveable plant and one client had a system that could show him where his excavator was, which direction it was travelling and how fast. He could automatically imobilise it if it was moved from its work site or ask it to phone home. When one was stolen it phoned home and told him it was in Portugal. It was not expensive compared to the price of a excavator.
    http://www.plantsecurity.co.uk/default.aspx seems to have something similiar.:thumb:
    ps: he never got his digger back from its holiday in the sun.

5. Popeye

Popeye Funster

He won't have done, JJ rents it out to Lady Penelope whenever she get stuck in mud :Wink:

6. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

There are sites that track mobile phones, the one i used charges 50p per search, but a company with vehicle trackers i worked for preffered to use phone tracking, as it found the drivers, not the trucks:Laughing:.

It is easy to use a phone as a tracker in the way you suggested. If you would not pay for a tracking sytem anyway, using the phone option is cheaper, a lot of trackers cant be found in containers or underground car parks etc, so not that much difference.:BigGrin:

7. MikeD

MikeD Funster

We could give them JJ's address there may be a reward, we could go half each :BigGrin:

and yes the drivers weekend work dried up over night after the first one got caught.:Sad:

MikeD

8. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Personal trackers are so cheap nowadays that they are cheaper than a phone and much easier to track and 12 volt!

No insurance companies touch them though!

Eddie