Mobile phone just died, smart phone next? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Someone close to me has just dropped my Nokia 6021 into a cup of tea!

All that can be salvaged is the SIM and the battery. It appears that all of the contacts stored on it are gone too. The really bad bit is this, it is our business phone with all our contacts and clients on it.

We used (3) Nokia 6021's, one each and one for business. Lost one two weeks ago in a field when cutting hay, now a second has gone.

We use them as they are simple (good) and reliable. Just took a quick peek on eBay and see there are no longer any new 6021 phones, only refurbs which I am not too keen on.

We don't use plans rather PAYG, the reason is we are always on the move spending more time out of the UK than in it at the moment. We are not big users of phones anyway, for us they are the tool of last resort but family can get us at any time if they need to.

So here's the question. We have to buy a new phone in a hurry-ish, what should we go for and is it time to go to a smart phone bearing in mind we are using in 3 countries? We also see that out clients are starting to demand faster response times (by email) when on the road.

As we are not interested in phones very much we are completely out of date with what is possible, we are looking for a little guidance please.

Thanks

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just bought a PAYG HTC wildfire on 3 network a great phone and a gpood deal from Carphone warehouse ( only on line ) deliver next day if you order by 4 pm.:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
:thumb:pS;; i used my HTC for the last 3 years around Europe on business including Romania and Bulgaria no probs. the recent Wildfire HTC is for Wife as she needed a new phone and i was so pleased with my HTC smatphone. i am sure there are many other views on this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Dare I say it

IPhone 4s:Tongue1::hardhat::hardhat:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
I would suggest smartphones running the android OS. I would also suggest that you use Gmail for your contacts as these are then stored on the cloud (internet) so you can't lose them when changing phones.

You could also then use the cloud based google calendars if you wish.

The beauty of doing this is that all the data can be automatically sync'ed and that can help with resource planning for example. Or contact sharing.

This is exactly what I have done and it works great

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I hate touch screen phones so I have got a blackberry 9300 about 6 months ago. Excellent little business phone. They are not quite as well made or tough as the Nokia's were but now Nokia have got Married to Microsoft I had to move on. The Blackberry is brilliant for email and texting and it has BBM which is proving useful as well as it is free.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Well thanks everybody, the info appears as varied as people are.

Had a look at the phones recommended and many if not all appear to major on aspects that are not connected to the actual phone side or or even email, and in reality that's all we want a phone to do.

Is it possible that there is a type of phone which is very good at these aspects and is crap at everything else? Dare I say it, we don't want a phone with a camera as we always travel with real cameras.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with the older nokias you can often revive them after they get wet. open the case if you can and mop out any visible water then place the phone in a warm and dry environment for a few days. either an airing cupboard or greenhouse work well

then put battery back in and turn on. have recovered several this way. even if it works partially, at least it will give you a chance of coppying contacts to the sim card

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Tea Proof!

Better buy an iPhone, they are safer.

They won't fit in the cup!

Regards Brian

Someone close to me has just dropped my Nokia 6021 into a cup of tea!

All that can be salvaged is the SIM and the battery. It appears that all of the contacts stored on it are gone too. The really bad bit is this, it is our business phone with all our contacts and clients on it.

We used (3) Nokia 6021's, one each and one for business. Lost one two weeks ago in a field when cutting hay, now a second has gone.

We use them as they are simple (good) and reliable. Just took a quick peek on eBay and see there are no longer any new 6021 phones, only refurbs which I am not too keen on.

We don't use plans rather PAYG, the reason is we are always on the move spending more time out of the UK than in it at the moment. We are not big users of phones anyway, for us they are the tool of last resort but family can get us at any time if they need to.

So here's the question. We have to buy a new phone in a hurry-ish, what should we go for and is it time to go to a smart phone bearing in mind we are using in 3 countries? We also see that out clients are starting to demand faster response times (by email) when on the road.

As we are not interested in phones very much we are completely out of date with what is possible, we are looking for a little guidance please.

Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back