Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Didn't know where to post this so chose Web Connections

Am seeking help from you tech savvy funsters please. I need to upgrade to a better smartphone phone as mine is an early nearly smart phone! it's Android 2.3.7!!!. A lot of the apps that I need to use whilst abroad on our forthcoming trip need Android 4 above (Revolute Card, mobile banking etc & even camper contact needs Android 3 to work).

Not bothered about having latest 'must have' phone brand but am looking for suggestions as to what I should be looking for in the medium price bracket that will do the job nicely. Not bothered about camera capabilities or quality of sound for music, just want it to use as a phone and to use internet efficiently & would like to load things like Co Pilot onto it a well.

Advice and suggestions please, thanks(y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
It's really a personal choice as they all do more or les. The same I've always found Samsung's perform wel
I would go for the largest screen your comftable with as more and more can be done phones

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Checkout the Motorola phones very reasonable to buy outright and then you can hunt for a SIM only deal. Depends also if you want a phone on a contract. With the likely changes to phone contracts as a result of Euro legislation I am hedging my bets and going with SIM only deals on a 30 day rolling contract. Some great deals out there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I have a SIM only Nokia windows phone, I like to buy my own phone.
I pay about £10 for 600 minutes and 1Gb data with Three (free calls when in France)and that suits my usage.
Tesco do good deals on Samsung android phones.
They want £6 a month (£144) for the phone. You can buy them a little cheaper but they are around that price.
Plus £9 a month for 500 minutes call time and half a Gb data.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Checkout the Motorola phones very reasonable to buy outright and then you can hunt for a SIM only deal. Depends also if you want a phone on a contract. With the likely changes to phone contracts as a result of Euro legislation I am hedging my bets and going with SIM only deals on a 30 day rolling contract. Some great deals out there.
Another vote for moto g ,had a windows phone as an upgrade but now back with my old moto g, the new model at about £150 looks like a bargain to me

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Don't over look the Chinese phones... I got the cubot x9 from eBay to replace my iPhone and it's perfect for me... U.K. Seller as well..(y)

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
Hi to all you knowledgeable Funsters out there......I am going to kick EE into touch shortly as their coverage is hopeless where I live. I have found that O2 & Vodafone's masts seem to remain standing when there is more than a breeze blowing, so will go for a supplier using their masts......I have an unlocked iphone 4s so need a sim only deal, also wondered if it can be used also to connect my Macbook Air to the internet whilst out and about, especially abroad or will I need a dongle as I did some years ago?....I still have those various dongles laying around somewhere but I guess they are time expired by now?!...
Sorry to be such a numpty about all this mobile communications stuff, but hey I was brought up on pressing button A or B on a big black tin box in which you fed coins!!..
All info gratefully received.....Chris.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Tweedie, I was in town the other day and was amazed at the range and price of the second hand phones for sale, wiped and unlocked so will accept any sim.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
My vote goes to the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6, £3 to unlock from ebay ( i can supply the seller i used for all mine if required) so you can use any sim and the phone usualy goes for £99 when on offer or £115 when not. Direct link HERE

I have now purchased over 5 of these and given to my 2 daughters as well as 2 brothers and a sister, all running on different networks and all have satnav as well usually tomtom. They run without fault and have the latest Android 5.x on. They are quad core and can take a sd card if needed although none of the ones i have got have needed it.

My daughters had the moto g but they slowed up after a while so got rid of them, still a lot of people still like them. you are spolit for choice really but it does depend on what you want to pay. I have found the chinese ones are ok but not for GPS, this may of changed since my last chinese phone (1 year ago).

Any more info just shout! :)

OP
OP
Tweedie

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Hi Zac which ebay seller did you use to unlock as this phone looks ideal and a good price to(y)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hi Zac which ebay seller did you use to unlock as this phone looks ideal and a good price to(y)

Sorry didnt see the post as wasnt subscribed to the thread, this is who i got mine from > Broken Link Removed

Mine cost £2.29 but they have come down to £1.99 from the looks of it which is nothing, this phone takes the NANO sim which is the same size sims as what the new iphones take i.e. 5/5s/6/6s/6+/6s+. Your provider will be able to change your sim usually at no cost if it is the wrong size.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Another vote for Chinese Cubot
I have both an old x6 and a newer x11 both of which runs rings around the Samsungs s3 /s4 ,I used to have .maps and apps work a treat .
Dual sims as well :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back