Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
Can someone give me advice about best way to get secure Internet access in Portugal, please. I'm currently at Castro Marim and can still use my Spanish Orange mi-fi but presume I will lose signal as I move west. I have already got 2 PAYG Orange Huawei mi-fi's as I bought one in France which I was unable to charge with Spanish sim. I have tried to find an unlocked one. so far unsuccessfully.
The Spanish one has worked fine for me since January, but the French one was expensive to charge and I didn't get many mbs for 10 euro. Lasted 1.5 days (just e-mail and facebook).
Can this be unlocked and if so WILL IT WORK? Also can anyone suggest a shop east of Faro where I can get this done or who sells unlocked mi-fi's.
:Confused:

Dec 30, 2012
Lincolnshire & Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2 Years
I use a Vodaphone Sim for my internet access ( dongle ) whilst in Lagos and it costs One Euro per hour. For access to e-mail and general internet browsing, I find this quite cheap. Any Vodaphone shop will sell you the Sim.

Dave

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Not really the answer you are looking for but if it helps you the library in Castro Marim has really excellent free internet access either on your own 'puter or one of theirs. Actually all the libraries in Portugal offer free internet and they are more laid back about it than the Spanish!

Either way, good luck :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Chris.. Unlocking is normally just a code number that you enter in..
I have done many phones but not a MiFi, usually you go on ebay and for a couple of quid they email you the code and how to do it..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
maybe someone could post a step by step idiots guide to unlocking a mifi and how to enable different sims:thumb:

Presumablly when roaming charges are abolished at the end of next year this problem will go away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
Thanks for the replies. As you can tell I'm still on line as I've not yet moved from Castro Marim where I can still get Spanish wi-fi. My problem is that I am currently receiving vital e-mails from my solicitor and really need to be in my van where I can print them off. I don't have a Smart phone, just the laptop. I have the 2 mi-fi's and an 02 dongle so a Sim would have to go in one of these. Yesterday I made a detour back to Lepe in Spain to a computer shop for advice. At first I was told a Portuguese Sim could be put in the mi-fi but as I was leaving he said that maybe it couldn't. Best bet is to find similar shop in Portugal or just rely on getting free wi-fi. Not easy on the Aires.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
I am in Portugal and have an meo internet sim in my phone which makes it into a modem .We can both use our ipads etc. on wifi from it .. Works out at 1 euro an hour ,Zjust back fom Morocco and used the same system there but a bit cheaper,,, call at any meo shop and they will sort it out or you ... We oung our samsung was open so no need to get it unlcked...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back