mobile coms advice needed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SC 05 OUT, May 17, 2013.

1. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I still looking for 3 mobile coms units for a convoy to france later this year and came across this on ebay (item number)

what do our comms experts think? any good?, legal?, value for money

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Not an expert, AFAIK they are legal to own ..

but I think you would require a Ham licence to operate legally.

Jaws is the man to advise..

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  3. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Hi scout if you want I will lend you 3 Motorola gp340 with 12 volt chargers
    Legal in uk but not France on uk general frequencies
    Spot on units and very reliable when are you going and for how long
    We used them all over Europe and if your carefully should be ok

Or look for pmr446 but watch what your doing some are crap
    Kenwoods and Motorola are good ones

Cb is a option but with ally tin can vans ariels are a pain to sort out

I think we should apply as a club for a uk general frequency licence and select a couple of channels with pl and just let members buy and program their own units I have had a word with our comms supplier and if worded correctly perfectly legal in uk as long as all using license are members he has done same for many clubs

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I dont know if those are legal or not, but they look very much like my HF boat radio. Maplin have a set of 4 Cobra MT975 PMR radios on offer this week at £99.99p for the set.

5. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

LINK no worky...:Doh:

6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

These are a 2M/70cm dual band radio. It is illegal to transmit on them in the UK unless you have at least a foundation ham licence. You cannot use abroad unless you have a full licence that is recognised in that country. Your best bet is CB, most of which now cover the different requirements for most of Europe or a PMR radio which you can use anywhere but only on the built in aerial which will have limited range inside a vehicle.

Perhaps I should have also mentioned that it helps if you know what you are doing with this particular radio as it has the worst manual in the world.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

As has been posted unless you are a Radio Amateur full Licence holder these radios are out of the question yes if you have Foundation Call Sign..(M6***) you can use them in the UK BUT NOT IN FRANCE..as you need to be full licence holder to stay within the CEPT regs..

I would suggest Maplins they have an online site and do a half decent 4 radio package for £99 quid..Don't be fooled by the hype with any PMR Radio..they may be good for a couple of miles tops..but not some of the distances quoted...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Be carefully in what people call PMR some of them are all over place with frequencies used so could be illegal my mate bought 2 of eBay and found they where in 2 meter band
    You want PMR446

9. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

no ham, so no go, I'll probilbly go down the pmr route

thanks

10. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

thanks for the offer but I need 3 units,I use gp 340/360's at work shame I cant borrow them. I dont want to go down the CB route as its prob going to be a one of trip

11. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

that range I presume is open country with line of sight? I was told today you can get window aerials for some pmr's to incress the reception when in cab to cab situations

12. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

At the last count we had 180 gp340 so 3 or 4 for a few weeks is no problem

• Like Like x 1
  13. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Cheapest PMR446 i can get you are the Intek t30 at £45 a pair with batteries, twin docking charger etc. They would do the job, also have a torch built in you may find useful. Basic level, but best for the price. 8 channels, power saver and 2 stage adjustable transmitter power levels. Next level up goes to £90 a pair.

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you can get really cheap walkie talkies in asda or somewhere like that lidl .aldi sometimes . we use them when in convoy . seem to work even over a few miles apart .
    i have rechargable ones from aldi i think it was. binatone do them as well think asda have them.

15. My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing Funster Life Member

We have used the pmr446 set on many a ski trip. Also used them as we have travelled in convoy around the UK. They worked fine and have even worked on a different side of the mountain.

For the money they will do the job for you.

16. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

ok thanks i bare it in mind, we only have two so it would notice if I took them.

a bit of info for you I bought replacements battiers from germany a few months back about £12.50 each iirc, they seem to work fine

• Like Like x 1
  17. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I was looking at the intek mt5050 best price I could see in the UK was £65 each, are the t30's modable??

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  18. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

T30's are basic walkie talkies - they have variable hi/lo power output but other than that, are just basic entry systems. It would appear that the middle ground between the 5050 and the t30 will be the 3030. It has many of the functions of the 5050, but not all. Price would be half of that of the 5050, which is really a base 'professional' system.

We are Thunderpole dealers, if you have a look at their website, you can have a browse of what is available. I can sort you out with a funster discount, so will have a bit off the retail prices if that helps you out.

19. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

These are great we carry 2 with us all the time using them for all sorts of things around the site or travelling with another MH. Currently using them as I'm 100 metres from the in-Laws so Dawn can tell me when tea is ready, whilst I working on MH.

No licence required at all.

20. G8WVW

G8WVW Read Only Funster

Cheap walkie-talkie means cheap performance, cheap batteries, cheap build and probably short life. The Asda product is likely a toy. If however all you need is close proximity vehicle-vehicle comms on a trip then they’re probably enough.

If you’re expecting ‘em to work from the pub four miles away back to camp, not even the very best £100+ PMR466 radio will do this for you! Half a mile is about the best you can reliably expect. The 3-6 miles quoted is over terrain where if you shone a very bright light at the transmit point, you’d see it at the receiver!

I‘ve three middle of the road Motorola T5522’s bought five+ years ago which the kids have used/abused. All have new rechargeable battery packs and will go for another five years; you get what you pay for.

Forget the CB/Ham Radio route; all too much fuss for your needs. PMR466 legal right across Europe so no hassle there either.

Good luck :)

PS Beware of 'PMR446' type radios on eBay from the States. They look identical to EU models but use a different set of frequencies that are not legal here. Give away is that they have 13 channels rather then 8.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 2