mobile broadband dongle (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi I use 3 mifi good reception except when near the coast in certain area's ie devon cornwall ,I o W.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
I use a 3 Mifi dongle, looks like a small piece of black soap can connect 5 devices at a time, we have 2 iPhones,ipad and PC running off ours, £18 a month for 10gb, got an incar USB charger off EBay £1.99 so take it away in RV or in my work van

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I use a mifi
Link Removed
with a data sim only
Link Removed
This will run up to 5 items on wifi

If you only want to run one item you could get a dongle although you wouldn't be able to connect to it via wifi so it would have to be plugged into your appliance.
Link Removed

all can be charged whilst away with either mains charger or 12v charger.
Obviously shop around for prices before you buy.

I am thinking of getting a new iphone and going on the 3 "The One Tarriff" which gives free unlimited internet tethering.

My problem is getting mobile broadband when i'm abroad unless i pay extertionate rates:Eeek:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I use a 3 Mifi dongle, looks like a small piece of black soap can connect 5 devices at a time, we have 2 iPhones,ipad and PC running off ours, £18 a month for 10gb, got an incar USB charger off EBay £1.99 so take it away in RV or in my work van

Got same one only mine's a virgin white one and I got 15gb per month for £15.99.
Was going to sign up in the shop for £18.99 then sales assistant had to ring India to cancel my existing dongle which was 5gb for £8 per month.

The guy in India say's I will get you one delivered tomorrow - 2 year deal at £15.99 - NO BRAINER:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Different depts within 3 playing one another off :Angry::Angry::Angry:. Shops have more overhead hence charge more - they cant compete with customer services.

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I use 3

I've had my dongle for about 5 years and can get online almost anywhere. I use PAYG at 1GB for £10 and rarely run out of data before the 30 days is up.

Sometimes I do need to move to the top of a hill in areas with an iffy signal, but generally the 3 signal is brilliant.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I now have three usb dongles. (unlocked)

I also have a 3 mifi (now unlocked).

However in the UK I now never use them.....

I have an iPhone 4s on "3" using the "one plan" with genuinely unlimited data (including tethered data) every month.

So if you have a phone contract, add the monthly cost of that, to how much you are additionally paying for data per month, you may be better off just having it all on one contract.

My iPhone is a mobile wifi hotspot, I can connect 4 or 5 devices at the same time. Even with just one or two bars on 3G, I can steam video all day long. I often watch live Sky Sports on my ipad, the wife watches TV on her laptop, and the kids can go online as well.
Great in the van in bad weather.

If you use a lot of data, or alternatively you are paying every month for your phone, and again for data on a dongle or mifi, check out if you would be better off.

I almost bought an ipad with 3G, until I realised there's no point! :Doh:
I have unlimited data, just tethering it to my phone. Why pay additionally for a data Sim, and no worries about running out of data allowance at an inconvenient moment :Eeek:...
Simples....

You don't even need to have an iPhone, you can also do it with an Android phone. So you only need take your phone with you, so less things to carry and charge....:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Get an unlocked dongle & a GiffGaff SIM (free SIM). Works on the O2 network £10 pm unlimited internet

GiffGaff SIM

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Get an unlocked dongle & a GiffGaff SIM (free SIM). Works on the O2 network £10 pm unlimited internet

GiffGaff SIM

I used to use this but then found I could get 3gb that lasted for 3 months for £11. the GiffGaff one is 3gb but only lasts for 1 month so if you don't use it it's lost!
I used to put the GiffGaff one in my ipad so dont need to buy a dongle if you have an ipad.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hi I use 3 mifi good reception except when near the coast in certain area's ie devon cornwall ,I o W.

If you are using the aerial lead then remove it, if you re using the wireless, put it somewhere that will hinder its' performance.

The reason it does this on the north coast is due the the 3 receiver in Ireland having a strong signal especially on clear days - not so bad now that 3G is here, but before it effected phones as they would flip over to Irelands 3G signal, which was poor at the time.

Other than that 3 are the way to go, o2 are useless! We are central/north coast area and have no issues, dongle is fine, next doors mifi is incrediblely fast at 1meg per second.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back