Mobile Broadband - alternative to dongle (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As I posted previously, we have a T-Mobile dongle on 2 year contract which ends next February. In the run-up to the contract ending I intended looking at alternatives to it. By coincidence, just as I started to do so at the weekend my phone (Vodafone PAYG) started to die on me. I have used that phone as modem in the past but only on 2G not 3G (3G wasn't available when I bought it 3 years ago).

On looking at replacements I realised that if I bought a 3G capable phone I could use it as an alternative to the dongle in areas where T-Mobile coverage is wanting (as Vodafone charge a maximum of 50p per day subject to a usage limit which is sufficient for my needs). I bought a Sony Ericsson C510 from a local Vodafone shop yesterday. It comes with USB lead and, when plugged in to the netbook, works just like a dongle.

It also has Bluetooth capability but haven't yet worked out how to set that up.

Graham

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Graham

I have been using my E71 on 3 as a dongle for nearly a year now mainly on Bluetooth as i can then put the phone in the best reception position, with no problems. I have tried using the dongle but it does appear a lot more restrictive than the phone and as you have found there are a lot more pricing options (cheaper).

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
A friend on mine got a good deal with his new phone with Orange. He got a 3G phone and unlimited 3G connection on the deal, which he uses connected to his laptop as well, via Bluetooth. We dont have a good Orange reception in our area so I didnt find out anymore details of the deal. If you would like me to ask him more info please let me know. :Smile:

N&K

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back