Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Afternoon,

Thinking of subscribing to one of these magazine, any views on which is the better?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I appreciate its not the exact answer to your question, we have subscribed to both of these over the years and where the MMM, I would have said was the better, we found that they are now so full of adverts and only often repeated content.

So now we find we get much better value subscribing to and using this forum and maybe dipping into others instant advice on the subjects you are looking for answers to.

If we see one of the magazines with an article that is of particular interest then we will buy that one.

If you decide that you want to go down the route of subscription, then look for the very good offers they have of Auto Glym or something like that to take the edge of the cost.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Used to subscribe to MMM , but gave it up, after a while becomes very repetitive , same adverts more of the same each month, besides it hurts when you chuck a mountain of them away at £4 a shot !
I just buy one or the other when I see one with something of interest in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to agree. Most subscription mags seem an expensive outlay for very little return and you get far more from the funster forum on a daily basis.

Wyn

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I had both Digital.
Due to living in Mainland Europe.

Now just have Practical Motorhome.

But will not renew due to adds and I think they are not in touch with real motorhoming.

Some nice articles but not always.

And often no dates on when they traveled to certain places.
So you have no idea when things are open or closed.

And they never condem anything that is advertised in the mag.

I have had mutch more info in here in the lst 8 mnths then ever from a mag.

The mags or dead long live Motorhome Fun.

Mel

OP
OP
CJB

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Thanks for all your replies, perhaps I will give them both a miss then!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Been there with both and agree with Carol, £4 is an expensive way to browse through pages of adverts:Doh:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Took a years subscription to MMM but did not renew as I found it pretty much the same each month.Also got a bit annoyed that it alweays seem to run travel pieces on places just after I had returned from them!:RollEyes:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
subscribed to both at the NEC as freebees came to more than the price of the subscription. As fairly new to MH's do find some thing quite interesting but yes a lot of adverts, will I renew subscriptions, probably yes

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
MMM digital

Bought digital version, as stated can use off-line. Magazine hard to read, but worst of all, cannot read when off-line, still need to be on-line to enable it to verify that it is me reading them. You buy the mags but then can't read them unless they say so, what a rip off.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Thanks for that last comment. We get MMM but find it's getting too full of adverts and expensive, also the print is so small!!:Angry:. Was about to try the digi version but didn't realise you could only read it when on-line, no wonder it's loads cheaper!!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I used to love the MMM but always laughed at the letters' section. The opinions and advice given there were often so very different to mine!

I was slightly concerned when a young new editor was appointed who was, I believe, the daughter of the previous editor. I felt her idea of what motorhomes and motorhoming was all about was unlikely to be of interest to me.

The final straw came when she compiled a "long term test" report on a van where it was stated that the shower "looked" like it was a decent size... it hadn't been tried or tested. There was more about the stylish decals than the actual fixtures, fittings and practicalities of the vehicle in the reports.

And, of course, if a company who pays you lots of advertising money has lent you a van to review, a van that they will be advertising in your publication in the future, you are not going to find much wrong with it are you?

In its support however, and to provide balance, I should say I still use the "free" bubble levelling indicator thingy I got from one issue.

But we are all much luckier these days...

Now we have Fun... :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I had subscriptions for both magazines, gave them up a few years ago. Do I miss them?? in a word NO.
My yearly subscription to MotorhomeFun gives me all of the information I need and much, much more.

Brisey.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Have never subscribed to either but used to buy MMM religiously each month, back in the day of doing my own first conversions and then moving on to our first coachbuilt. Used to really enjoy them but would have to agree, they're not the same any more.
This forum is far more fun and a better source of info.::bigsmile:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
These magazines rely on advertisers, who will only pay for column inches if the readership is of a sufficient level. At the moment the balance is wrong....many of the articles are really covert adverts for new vans. This may change if the circulation drops and the publishing team start asking; Why?

I do like a magazine to read, but as far has motorhoming goes I get more value from this site.

There's a gap in the magazine market clearly, focusing on the used stuff etc....an enthusiast with an eye for business might do well with it!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I used to buy MMM then I saw Peter Warner's offensively flash :Sad: car (a high-end Bentley or Rolls Royce) in their car park.
I figured they didn't need my money ::bigsmile:

I then switched to Practical Motorhome via a subscription and received a zip-up bag of assorted polish and stuff. When the subscription ran out didn't receive any reminders so we forgot to renew.

Looking back I preferred Practical Motorhome and I loved their YouTube videos :thumb:

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
MMM or Practical motorhome

Afternoon,

Thinking of subscribing to one of these magazine, any views on which is the better?

Used to subscibe to both but cancelled due to number of adds and articals of no interest.

Malc

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks, you just reminded me to cancel my subscription to MMM. Now seems to be pages of glossy adverts, fawning reviews and some rather dubious advice. Practical motorhome is a bit better but I only buy when I see something interesting.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I subscribe to MMM, can't remember what I paid but it was a good deal. Yes, you have to take the reviews with a pinch of salt as they obviously don't want to offend their advertisers.

Overall though I find the magazine covers a wide range of topics, something to interest almost everyone I would have thought.

I look forward to the mag plopping through the letterbox.

Paul

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Bought digital version, as stated can use off-line. Magazine hard to read, but worst of all, cannot read when off-line, still need to be on-line to enable it to verify that it is me reading them. You buy the mags but then can't read them unless they say so, what a rip off.

I pestered the magazines to do the digital versions.

Many on the forums poo-pooed the idea as it would lead to copyright problems and plagiarism. As a result they put all sorts of security in place.

Like you I find the digital versions useless as we travel for 6 months a year abroad and use a dongle the rest of the time so reading them is slow and tiresome. Added problem is the expense when roaming.

I won't be renewing again.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back