Mmm Letters Page 17

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Apr 29, 2015.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

Brilliant letter in the June issue of MMM (page 17) from Keith Moore. I feel that we should use this letter to wake up local councils to the benefits of welcoming MHs to their area.

colyboy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Is it copyright, or can we have a look? I can see another thread on subscribing to MMM coming up. :rolleyes:

3. colyboy

colyboy Funster

Yes you can copy it.
    colyboy

4. Bailey58

I meant can you scan and post a copy, I don't have the MMM. :)

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Scanning would breach copyright but posting a summary of the benefits claimed would not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bailey58

We won't tell 'em it was you Graham. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We called into a local W H Smiths this morning thinking we might buy MMM just this once but it was only available in a bag with some other magazine (which we didn't want) for £5.95 rather than being about 3 quid as I expected. Far too much just to check one letter :)

Is anyone going to post the benefits summary or did the letter just contain unquantified claims as they usually do?

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

To All Local Authorities

March 2015

Dear Sir or Madam.

Motorhome parking

You may or may not be aware there could be nearly 200,000 UK-owned motorhomes on UK roads, plus many European motorhome tourists. New UK motorhome registrations are running at around 8,700 annually as at last year end. With prices now ranging from about £40,000 to £160,000 per vehicle, evidently UK motorhome manufacturers, dealers and owners are contributing a substantial amount to the UK Treasury.

The time has come for councils and authorities to acknowledge the contribution motorhome owners are making to our economy by providing suitable parking facilities.

The UK and local economy is benefiting from the spending of the owners of these vehicles and their families when they visit areas of beauty. This spending is only possible if suitable parking is provided. It is not acceptable that a motorhome can only park if it can fit into a bay designed specifically for a car.

Some bays within car parks need to be easily accessible, level and large enough to accommodate a few motorhomes up to nine metres in length and 3.5 metres high.

Parking needs to be within easy walking distance of the areas of interest or to allow the occupants to eat out or use the local shops. Sometimes, campsites are too far away to allow easy foot access into town and are therefore not usually suitable for motorhome occupants.

Most councils and authorities in Europe provide specific motorhome parking facilities in or around town centres to attract motorhome owners into their area.

There are over 10,000 of these facilities throughout the tourist areas of Europe.
    Whilst I am not suggesting that UK authorities provide the same, I am suggesting that car parks which are little used at night could be put to better use for overnighting motorhomes bringing in additional income for the authority and town businesses.

The presence of a number of motorhomes in a car park may even deter or even eliminate antisocial behaviour from late night revellers who can frequent car parks late at night.

Where parking is presently permitted, there are often unnecessary restrictions. For instance, sleeping is not permitted within the vehicle but overnight parking is allowed if the vehicle is unattended. This does not take into consideration that some motorhome insurers will not cover a motorhome that has been left unattended in a public place overnight.
    I am well aware of the reasoning for present rules regarding sleeping in vehicles, but I believe these rules should not apply to touring motorhomes. I understand that sleeping in cars or vans in car parks is undesirable because they are not equipped for that purpose, but the reasons which local authorities will normally highlight for prohibiting sleeping in motorhomes (a vehicle designed for that very purpose), are inappropriate or naive.

The majority of motorhome occupants are respectable people who are respectful of parking facilities and they are unlikely to deposit litter or cause any antisocial activity whilst they are sleeping, that is unless they sleepwalk at night!
    Motorhomes have litter bins and toilet facilities built in.

My wife and I have owned motorhomes for 30 years. Our present motorhome is 9m long and 3.5m high (generally accepted as the maximum size for Europe). My wife and I tour extensively throughout the UK and Europe.

We and our motorhome are welcomed with open arms throughout enlightened Europe, with parking and sometimes other facilities such as drinking water and chemical toilet emptying facilities provided in or around virtually every town and many villages.

This is totally unlike at home in the UK, where motorhome owners receive very little welcome.
    If the potential of the motorhome fraternity is not embraced, the local shops and businesses really are missing out on the spending power of many motorhome owners, many of whom are retired folk with money to spend.

My wife and I are, however, aware that there are some undesirable motorhome owners who set up camp when they shouldn’t, and they should be appropriately dealt with on an individual basis.

A 24-hour or 48-hour time restriction could be put in place, which can be enforced to prevent them overstaying their welcome.

I believe some authorities enforce car park rules because caravan park owners have been known to complain where overnight parking is allowed.

It is not the responsibility of any authority to protect or promote the trade of any individual caravan park or campsite businesses against the interests of individuals.

Many campsites are too far away from the town activities for motorhomers and although they are frequently used by motorhomers, they are more suited to caravan owners who have a car at their disposal.

I urge you to consider this request to provide proper parking without any overnight parking sleeping restrictions for motorhome occupants, without penalties for being larger than a car, and in areas close to where recreational facilities are available.

Thank you.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely

Keith Moore

• Like Like x 8
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks for posting the transcript @Jim.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

From the wording in MMM it seems the author Mr Keith Moore urges others to use this as a template so I'm sure he won't mind us sharing it here.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Cobweb

Cobweb

Could not have put it better myself ! Let us hope that local authorities take notice .

12. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Same old gripe. Not very good at maths,but make 9 metres. 29ft 3ins in old money,(Plus room to manouver),so thats 3 car parking spaces gone,just for one unit, 3.5 metres high, rules out multi storey car parks. Easy walking distance ? ,guess there will not be one in the centre of Polperro.
    I am in the lucky position of having a bus pass,so all i have to do is a bit of forward planning. There may be more support if you get the Tuggers on side,use the same arguments about if they also allocated reduced price car parking for their cars and caravans?,some of todays caravans have the same life support systems as motorhomes,so technicaly should be included, the money would come,"Rolling" in LOL.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 2
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

But why has he addressed it "To All Local Authorities" rather than just those which don't provide parking?

In England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland there are just over 400 councils which have responsibility for off street parking (including a few county councils which have parking at country parks). Only 90 of those councils provide no off street parking for motorhomes and on street parking is available in those 90 council areas.

If people write to councils which do provide parking and ask why they don't then one can imagine the reaction.

As regards the overnight camping aspect of the letter, as with most it does not address any of the specific points it needs to. In addition it shows a lack of understanding of the requirement for councils to balance the overall public interest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I don't see why the local tax payers should provide special facilities just for a specific group.
    There are just as many tuggers who would like overnight facilities from time to time.
    What is good for one is good for all.
    I would certainly raise an objection to my local taxes, being used to provide facilities to just one group, at the expense of others.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 1
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

This is the very point. In order to expect facilities we must be able to show hat they are self-financing rather than being at the expense of anyone.

I think the point about caravanners is a bit wide of the mark. Generally speaking trailers (of any description) aren't allowed in most car parks anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I would argue that an average car and caravan take up little more space than an average Motorhome.
    Years ago caravans did not have the on board facilities of a Motorhome, but they do now and are just as self supporting.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 1
  17. GaryBDawson

GaryBDawson Funster

How many caravan ears do you know who carry enough water for self sufficiency for 48 hours, it's not what they do.

Gary

18. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

What about disposal though? Do you have an on-board grey tank? Most caravans won't :)

20. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

As it's washing water, bucket then down a nearby drain ! Failing that into another carrier !