Mixing Tyres (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2015
Les Cabannes / France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
I have just swapped my old rear wheel drive Hymer 550S (sigh) for a front wheel drive Ducato based Chasson Suite Maxi.

My garage has a slight gravel-earth uphill slope on exit. Backing out the Chausson the front wheels loose traction and spin. I have to fit chains to the front to get it out at all.

One solution, not involving civil engineering, might be to fit all terrain tyres to the front.

Good idea ? bad idea ?, stupid idea ?

what do you think

Tony

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Put grass traction in eBay , loads of stuff to get you out there, without the expense of tyres that will be no use on the road(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
How about driving it in and reversing out. Makes it RWD then?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you fit 4 season tyres it certainly won't be any worse than it is now and you will be prepared for a bit of snow as well so as long as they are marked snowflake/mountain you won't need to change them to go touring in Europe in the winter months.

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My cure was to fit Hankook van tyres.. Grip went up exponentially...and they lasted well too (4.1t motorhome on Ducato chassis with 16" wheels )

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have just swapped my old rear wheel drive Hymer 550S (sigh) for a front wheel drive Ducato based Chasson Suite Maxi.

My garage has a slight gravel-earth uphill slope on exit. Backing out the Chausson the front wheels loose traction and spin. I have to fit chains to the front to get it out at all.

One solution, not involving civil engineering, might be to fit all terrain tyres to the front.

Good idea ? bad idea ?, stupid idea ?

what do you think

Tony

BAD BAD BAD idea ......... However if you fit all terrain all round ......... GOOD idea (y)

Do a tyre search on the forum for answers and you will see that everyone is an expert (of course not as expert as me ;))

:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back