mixing leisure and engine batteries ? (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
can you mix leisure batteries and engine batteries ?
I know they should ideally be all of the same age and amps per hour. I have two 1 yr old luminax leisure batts and wondered if I could save a ton and a half and use some non leisure batts I have ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
non-leisure batteries are designed differently and arent meant to be charged and discharged at the rate we do it.

car batteries are designed to be fully charged ALL THE TIME and the main purpose is for starting engines....not running electrical appliances, the alternator does that task.

asking for problems if you mix the two types or even use starter batteries as leisure ones.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: Just a point. NOT ALL Leisure batteries are Leisure batteries, They are advertised and even marked as such. But they are basically the same as Motor batteries. :Blush:

BTW. On our Newmar I have been using 2 x 105AH batteries I bought just over 4 years ago from Walmart along with 6 x 100AH AGM batteries I bought just over 3 years ago that were around 3 to 5 years old when I bought them. Had great results up until this Winter. Probably because during the last 3 Summers they were still being hammered with 250 Watts of Solar power while parked up in Spain for 4 months at a time. I am at the moment in the process of equalising them to try and bring them back up to scratch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Wynnielafreak,yes you can mix any type :Smile: just do not expect the results to be quite as good. In one of my old vans we ran two starter battery's - one to start / one as leisure for above 18 mths without a problem.If they are laying around doing nothing then use them it will not cause any harm other than pulling your good battery down a little which I doubt you will notice, unless you are a electrical worrying freak.:ROFLMAO:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back