Misting X250 headlights (1 Viewer)

Steve928

Free Member
Aug 28, 2009
Funster No
Are totally dry X250 headlights achievable?

Van goes into dealer later this week and one of things I've asked them to sort under warranty is slight misting in both units. They both look dry and bright in ambient conditions, but mist slightly after use in the right conditions (icy rain falling on a hot headlight is best..).

The dealer didn't fill me with confidence: not quite the cold shoulder but I got the impression that I'll need to work at it..

So, is it worth the fight. Do you have totally dry, clear X250 headlights?

Picture attached of misting at its very worst. (It's not as bad as it looks here: the droplets of water are on the outside - it's just a very fine misting internally).

Attachments

• P1200100s.JPG
    P1200100s.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 42
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have noticed this a couple of times on my van but never considered it serious, the same can be seen on some cars. After the light has been on for a short time the condensation clears.

OP
OP
S

Steve928

Free Member
Aug 28, 2009
Funster No
Thanks. This misting doesn't all clear when the headlights are on (though it does get burned away in the beam itself, leaving some around the edges of the unit) .
It only clears completely when the unit cools and the internal and external temperatures equalise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I had this on my truck and got the headlights changed no problem as I pointed out for mist to be in there was clearly (sic) incorrect and would over a short period of time would damage the silvering and reduce light output. Dealers ummed and ahh'd but when i got it back from its first service it had two new light units.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Its quite difficult to differentiate between condensation and water ingress.

I've had one of my X2/50's headlights changed under warranty due to water ingress so it can be done as a warranty job.

Now I notice that both headlights show condensation in them. Once you have seen both conditions its quite easy to tell which is which, but difficult to describe.
The most obvious difference is droplet size.
Condensation looks more like when you breathe onto cold glass and is more of a misty coating.
Water ingress is more like raindrops and there could be a small amount of freewater sloshing around in the bottom of the reflector.

OP
OP
S

Steve928

Free Member
Aug 28, 2009
Funster No
Mine is just condensation - never anything as large as a water droplet, but as you can see, quite a lot of condensation.

I did dry it out successfully using Silica Gel pouches, but after week or so it came back.

Ah well, I'll see if I can provoke it to show the dealer when it goes in. Maybe take a bottle of chilled water to pour over the lights.. Thanks all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SJM

Free Member
Aug 17, 2009
Funster No
I had water ingress into mine, about 10mm deep in the bottom. This meant I had condensation all the time. So I drilled a 1mm hole in the inner edge of the bottom corner, never had the problem since. I know it doesn't solve the problem, but it eliminates the consequences.

Stu

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
I have had very slight misting on a couple of occasions, the only way to keep water out of the engine compartment, lights etc when vans are parked up for extended periods is a long line windscreen cover! from Taylormade.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back