Jan 10, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Two Years +
Hi I am Bob and my partener is Julia.
Julia's Daughter went to live in Spain and while she was there she got a Dog (Kenny) from a rescue centre. Kenny had been abandoned in one of those Skips with a lid on.We think he is a Portuguese Podengo?
When she decided to return to the UK she took him to a vet and had a chip inserted as is required to bring him in to the UK.
On arrival at Gatwick he was scanned but the chip could not be located. Other scanners were used and then he was"X"Rayed,but no joy.This resulted in a huge bill.
His Chip was recorded on the Internet Website but the vets at Gatwick would not accept this.
He then had to go in to Quarantine for six Months ££££££s
So if you have your pet "Chipped the "Chip can come out.
Also there are are several different chips and if the wrong Scanner is used it will not record the chip even if there is one there.
When we eventualy got him home he needed "Laser" eye Surgery££££ but he is worth every Penny.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have heard of this happening before. I would start a small claim against the vet that inserted the chip. It will cost you £40 odd quid to start the claim but you may well get some costs returned, its hard to get consequential loss in a small claims court but I'd at least want the money back that I paid for the chip

Vets are not my favourite people, they charge too much and in my experience suggest tests and treatments that they earn most from. :Angry:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I had a real issue with Bruno once at the ferry on a return journey, mind you went through 3 scanners to find one that was charged up, plus they were terrified of him.

His in in between his shoulder blades and generally register quickly at our vets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bobclayden

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Two Years +
Thanks Jim

As the chip was installed in Spain I dont think it would happen.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Vets are not my favourite people, they charge too much and in my experience suggest tests and treatments that they earn most from. :Angry:

Vets aren't the only ones...

Garages, specifically the national chains, and can you imagine if we had private health care .. ouch ..

Back on topic,..

When we had Mylo done I asked if they ever got lost .. vet said they can move or stop responding .. but very rarely.. perhaps the chip died.

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We have Ezzie's chip checked prior to travel

We always take Ezzie to our vets before we travel to have her checked and the scanner is then used to check the position of the chip... This means we know roughll where to run the scanner over at the vets office in France and again at the channel tunnel pet centre as they pass the scanner unit over the counter and you have to oporate it then hand it back so they check it against the passport.

Works ok for us. We also always purchase a collar that give protection against sand fly... That works for about 6 weeks...

Bob:Eeek:

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
When we had our dogs chipped we was advised by pet log (at their stand at crufts) to get our own scanner (cost about £70 they did not sell them) as they said this can sometimes happen and also the scanners at the ports may not pick it up, we check our dogs every other month or so and before going abroad and take scanner with us in case their one does not pick the chip up.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
As more than a few on here will know, Sydney, a Parsons Jack Russell, is now a full time member of the Desert Detours staff/team.

Last September we were stopped exiting Morocco, going into Spain, for a routine check. The scan thing failed to detect his “Chip”, but as the border staff knew us, we had all the required documents, Syd is Spanish, I am a Spanish resident etc...... and of course “this is Spain!” :winky:..........we were allowed to proceed.

Two days later Syd was having his monthly check at the vets and the chip was again not showing on the scan........It was the same Vet who had inserted and registered it, so they knew it was/should be there. A full body scan found the chip.......it had moved from the neck and was now in his hip [nearer his bum! ]. :ROFLMAO:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We had rosie "Chipped", but although she runs a lot faster, her fuel consumption hasn't improved at all ::bigsmile:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Bit off topic but these pet chips have other uses.

My brother in law went for an indian meal in Preston a couple of years ago and after eating complained he had something stuck in his tooth that wouldnt come out. Two days later went to the dentist to get it removed. The dentist pulled out the offending item and found it to be a pet chip (not the first time this has happened he told the brother in law). The police were called and they identified the chip belonging to a dog that had gone missing in the local area a few days earlier.

A raid on the restaurant found dead and cut up dogs in freezers :Eeek:, the owners were jailed for a year :thumb: then deported back to India. Best place for him :thumb:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Can you still get chips with hot dogs?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Bit off topic but these pet chips have other uses.

My brother in law went for an indian meal in Preston a couple of years ago and after eating complained he had something stuck in his tooth that wouldnt come out. Two days later went to the dentist to get it removed. The dentist pulled out the offending item and found it to be a pet chip (not the first time this has happened he told the brother in law). The police were called and they identified the chip belonging to a dog that had gone missing in the local area a few days earlier.

A raid on the restaurant found dead and cut up dogs in freezers :Eeek:, the owners were jailed for a year :thumb: then deported back to India. Best place for him :thumb:

Got to ask. As I am a mite gullible. This was for real? It DID happen to a member of your family? If it is a joke please say so! Jane

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Got to ask. As I am a mite gullible. This was for real? It DID happen to a member of your family? If it is a joke please say so! Jane

Nope its absolutely true, happened a few years ago and was in the local papers.

One of the many reasons I dont do Indian!!!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
No relations in Tunbridge, Outraged of Ongar is a cousin of mine though. Jane :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back