Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Spotted a reference to these in this months MMM.
http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk/
Presently only available for Sevel X250 vans, but with the frightening cost of replacement mirrors it looks like being a worthwhile investment. Has anybody bought them and what do you think of them? They certainly seem to look good.
Geoff.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I thought they looked good as well, (also available for Ducato and Boxer units)... not sure about the protective capabilities though in all but a small touch.

But very expensive, so at such a price, it's worth taking a chance, and if you have to, just buying a "scrap" mirror unit.

How many Funsters have had their mirrors smashed?

OP
OP
EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
I did have a mirror to mirror encounter with a Chelsea tractor 18 months ago, but on that occasion I won.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I looked at them at some of the shows last season and was quite impressed but concluded they were too pricy for the risk. At one show at least they were on the WOW remapping stand!

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009

At the risk of hijacking this thread, had an encounter with white van man - probably all square on points. Only problem now is that the mirror does not sit as firmly in its correct position and just occasionally can be blown back.

I did make an enquiry about the covers but thought a little expensive, although they do look nice.

Steve

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
yes we feel the same, saw them at the last show we went to at £99 but thought them too expensive, we use hazard tape on the back of ours to highlight them after having one smashed by a white van man 2 years back on another motorhome we traded in.
We told the trader about it but he didn't seem to mind, I suppose they can get one a lot cheaper than we can buy them?
Haven't had it happen since but perhaps we are more aware now that its happened to us once?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Very nice but massively overpriced simply because 'they can'

Would not buy any out of principle !!

Mind you, if we can get an order up for 15 pairs I reckon I can have them made for about £60 a pair !

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Very nice but massively overpriced simply because 'they can'

Would not buy any out of principle !!

Mind you, if we can get an order up for 15 pairs I reckon I can have them made for about £60 a pair !

At £60 pounds a pair I might think about it ..........but when you think about it
why do the originals come in Black ?

White would be much safer and stand out more at night

barry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well if I was making them they could be any colour you like !

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
If you wanted your mirror casing a different colour, you just buy a can of "plastic sealer" from halfords, spray the mirror casing after giving it a good scrub with a scotchbrite pad. Then, you can spray it any colour you like including dayglo orange.

I would,nt buy those protectors, the ones we have fitted to all the trucks at work, are metal, and sit at least an inch away from the casing they are to protect. They do protect the plastic mirror casing, but in a collision at more than walking pace, more damage is done by the mirror being forced back into the door/window, so to be honst,...I,d keep my money until I knew what bit had been busted...no good having nice exterior protectors and be standing ther looking at a smashed glass and dented door top.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I thought they looked good as well, (also available for Ducato and Boxer units)... not sure about the protective capabilities though in all but a small touch.

But very expensive, so at such a price, it's worth taking a chance, and if you have to, just buying a "scrap" mirror unit.

I have twice first time my fault in Belgium, I hit a road sign, 2nd a local council wagon on a narrow bridge, his fault for not waiting but his boss sided with a 50/50 claim, first time I filled and matt black painted, second I have just tapped over the crack with black gaffer tape I dont think it will take a 3rd hit lol. Pete :cry::cry::cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back