Mirror Protectors - Fiat Ducato / Peugeot Boxer / Citroen Relay - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dochiley, Jul 3, 2015.

1. dochiley

dochiley Funster

I have a nasty habit of 'thwaking' the mirrors on my Ducato Based Chausson. I have been tempted to fork out to buy some of mirror protectors such as these

but feel that I might end up 'thwaking' and breaking them instead. At £50 a time it remains expensive and might be even more expensive if the protector does not work and the mirror still gets damaged.

Does anybody have any experience - do they break when you hit something? Do they protect?

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We took our camper out the other day to get some timber for our car port roof, we were parked tight up to the side of the road which was wide anyway, and there was a car before us so traffic had to swing out to avoid it anyway however some tw*t didn't pull out enough and must have thwacked our mirror with his, I heard a noise but didn't realise what it was until we got back in and noticed the mirror was flat against the window ... the prat had belted it hard and had put a crack in the indicator lens on the side of it. It's still quite solid so we don't need to replace it and can glue it to seal the crack and make it waterproof. The main mirror casing was unmarked as the indicator had taken the full force of the bash therefore even if we had got some mirror protectors on it wouldn't have stopped this from happening.

Basically, if you want them then get them but don't assume that they will totally protect your mirrors.

3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. andy63

andy63 Funster

saw an impact recently where it caused the small wide angle mirror to dislodge from its motor mount.. the motor mount broke (three plastic holders ) , but both mirror and motor were prevented from falling on to road by the wiring.. so it was a fair impact, and I was surprised that there was no other damage... the mirror guard as in your picture above wasn't even marked, so id say in this case they did the job....
    andy

• Like Like x 2
  5. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Can't answer your question except that we have the white guards and they seem to make oncoming vehicles give us more room.
    Saw this UNhappy camper last week, don't know if the protectors would have helped.

IMG_3019.JPG

6. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Didn't help us when an agressive tractor driver smacked our mirror off on a country lane in North Norfolk, just added to the expense, I have now fitted a short arm mirror on the O/S.

7. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Had a couple of good wacks with my mirror guard, both times the other mirror come of worse no damage to mine
    Only problem I have is my onboard temp gauge is sky high, think the sensor is in the wing mirror and when encased gives of false readings

8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

From what I have seen they should be called mirror covers, very expensive to lose and I've seen quite a few at the roadside.

9. cazzarazza14

cazzarazza14 Funster

They do protect it all depends how hard they are hit all in all they are made to make your pride and joy look good image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

I managed to contact the wall of my bungalow backing down the narrow drive, slight crack in the Mirror Guard but otherwise no prob's. Worth making them more obvious for others though. This is the one with the crack and Jim's external stickers.

If you do order them note they are different for the short & long arm mirrors.

DSCF8326.JPG

11. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

We've got white ones on ours, and they are quite solidly built. As already stated, people tend to spot them more, particularly cyclists, before we had them, a cyclist rode straight into one of my mirrors and smacked his head!
    Only thing is, they do show up the dead flies more! :D

12. musson

musson Funster

I have mirror guards cost 120 at show they fit well and the latest one have a foam inner lining not just the pieces of foam.I had a look at
    the other types and these look and feel the best made only time will tell (hopefully not) if the mirrors stand up to a hit.

13. campa cola

campa cola Funster

You can usually get even a long stalk the mirror for that price on ebay. But maybe not two...

14. Minxy Girl

As little Red Riding Hood would say .... "my what big EARS you have"!!!

15. mentaliss

mentaliss

16. dochiley

dochiley Funster

• Good thinking. End of thread it has all been covered already.

17. johnaerial

johnaerial Read Only Funster

Original Mirrorguards worth every penny. On a narrow road, had ours whacked by oncoming Fiat Ducato. Mirrorguard survived, mirror body damaged, glass broke but able to squash everything back together and continue journey. Oncoming Ducato mirror completely destroyed. We were both doing about 40mph. Combined 80mph impact sounded like an explosion. Definitely fit proper Mirrorguards and by way of insurance, it is worth carrying a spare glass in case of future damage. We limped on with broken mirror glass.

18. Minxy Girl

We had our mirror bashed recently in Croatia and the back casing was cracked and a bit went AWOL, both mirrors partially shattered although the bits stayed 'stuck' on the backing and the indicator lens went into orbit in many pieces! We didn't have mirror guards on but I doubt if it would have made a difference from what you have said as you're suffered the same damage with them on.

19. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

image.jpeg
    Unfortunately functionally tested my mirror guards a few times. Scratched but very little damage and no damage to mirror or mirror arm.

20. johnaerial

johnaerial Read Only Funster

The point is the opposing vehicle had the same mirror as ours. His shattered into many pieces on to the road. Ours stayed intact by virtue of the Mirrorguard and we were able to continue with a usable mirror.

• Like Like x 3