mirror guards ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by haganap, Sep 7, 2014.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Whilst driving through Wales this weekend...A sheep loving person caught my mirror with the roof of his van....only the outer casing is broken suprisingly...

Anyone have some mirror guards for sale?

Or a link to bit some?

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. johnandsue

johnandsue Funster

Bought some at Malvern show, dealer will probably be at Lincoln.

4. rikfos

rikfos Funster

Smashed my offside mirror guard to smithereens -won't bother buying any others

• Like Like x 1
  5. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I forgot Pauls were long ones:imoutahere:

8. haganap

Yeah thanks guys....I'm after some on ebay looks better to get a replacement mirror than guards...129 for a mirror 114 for guards...i don't get it

9. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Funster

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Funster

• Like Like x 1
  11. Movinon

Movinon Funster

You should look at the other threads about mirrorguards. The much cheaper Milenco product is screwed on and the screws are easily removed by any passing villain. Easy to put on, easy to steal. So if you buy this product superglue the screws in place. And don't rely on protection from anything other than carpark speed scrapes, and no protection at all for the £25 indicator. People will say they were traveling at the speed of light and their cover protected them (either product) so they will always work. That's nonsense, they were simply lucky.

12. haganap

Cheers guys just ordered the milenco ones at 59 pound.....

I need then because I have a partly ddestroyed mirror and If someone wants to steal em good luck to ya

13. cakey

cakey Funster

Have fitted this afternoon a left side long arm lookalikeeee mirror, £129 from eurowagons. O.K at the minute I don't have a radio aerial which is fitted in the left mirror on an original Fiat part. Given the saving confident I can sort that out. When I removed the Mirror Guard from the old mirror to put on the new mirror. To my surprise the old mirror had several cracks and a hole in it whilst the mirror guard had no marks on it at all.

For anybody interested it took me approx. 1 hour to fit. Easy enough to do. Remove the plastic surround from a round the window, 5 screws. The mirror itself is held on with 4 screws which you can see once the surround is removed. To sort the electrics out use a small screw driver and gently prise the elec window switch out. Then again small screw driver to prise the front cover of the door speaker. Remove the speaker itself 3 screws bingo there are the elec's /plugs.

Van is Fiat Ducato 130 multi jet---Swift Bolero 59 plate

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Not true in my experience today in France
    I have mirror guards and was hit by an oncoming vw transporter at 35mph he had no mirror left at all (the whole unit was removed from the vechicle) and I had a small hairline crack and a scuff mark on the mirror guard so fair to say they do work
    Maybe i was lucky, in which case I will be doing the lottery this weekend

15. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

How do you know what speed he was doing?

I'm surprised his mirror broke as an ex vw transporter owner I know they're pretty hefty mirrors and usually fold back on impact .....even in reverse ....:p

16. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

We were travelling with a couple in front and one behind (who ran over the remains of his casing) and confirmed the whole unit broke off and on a busy road
    Trust me he was travelling at a similar speed
    Maybe they don't make like they used to tambo or maybe the mirrorguard do help
    Mine is a fiat ducato

17. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Yes and I hit a tree at a similar speed and my mirror was smashed to bits and the Mirrorguard disappeared with half of it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but I am sick of hearing how it must always work because it worked for Joe Bloggs one time. One guy on another thread even said his Mirrorguard protected his mirror at 8 miles an hour so it must always work. I have the bill to prove that it doesn't - perhaps I should put up a picture of it to finally dispel this ridiculous assertion. Whilst I'm on it maybe I should put up the bill for a replacement indicator which was smashed when I was forced into the side of the road by an oncoming truck. The Mirrorguard was OK though so of course they always work don't they.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  18. cakey

cakey Funster

Mirror Guard or the Milenco product I don't know. What I do feel is that since fitting white mirror guards, on coming vehicles are more aware of my mirrors and that solves half the problem.

• Like Like x 2
  19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I would compare them to cycling hats.. protect from small bumps and grazes if you fall off, but won't protect from been run over by an artic lorry .. others say they are made of Kryptonite :LOL:

Quote from Milenco product description..

"they will not protect against severe or major impacts".

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Hitting a tree is different, as it won't move from my experience, however hitting an oncoming vechicle is what there designed for as there mirror will fold in (most cases) so not really a valid compassion movinon.
    Can only speak from my experience yesterday, don't really want to hit anyone else, and in that instance at 35mph it worked I too can provide pictures to prove it does help
    As someone else pointed out they do help make them stand out to oncoming traffic IMO

• Like Like x 1