Mirror Guards Stolen

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ALI G, Jul 30, 2014.

1. ALI G

ALI G Funster

Hi everyone
    Having been a member for a year now thought its about time i made contact .
    Friends of ours had mirror guards stolen off their van while parked on own driveway in a village location,have also heard of one person who had theres stolen while on a ferry.
    We are about to change from a panel van to a Hobby low profile and have purchased a pair ready to fit when we take delivery.Has anyone stuck these on with Sikaflex or maybe this will cause more damage if someone tries to force them off .Any thoughts on this ?
    ALI G

2. JJ

JJ Funster

I am really stupid...

What is a "mirror guard"?

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Abacist

Abacist Funster

When I first heard about mirror guards being stolen I ripped mine off with ease, bought some new foam and then stuck them back on with Sikalfex all around the sides. Don't know about what damage might be caused if they tried to get them off now but they are on their for good I reckon!

4. Abacist

Abacist Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Couldn't resist that. But I must confess, again, to being a bit sceptical. I am sure they work for a very slow speed impact but what happens if you hit another vehicle's wing mirrors at speed? Is all they do is keep your wing mirror in one bit as it goes bouncing down the road? Anyone got experience of these things? I don't mean fitting them, but actually whacking something?

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

A very expensive plastic cover for placing over the original plastic mirror back, in the hope and belief that it will prevent damage to your mirror casing in the event of a collision or contact with an immovable object
    In reality it may prevent scratching to the said mirror back to which it is atatched Circa £60 a pair thats why there nicked
    PS i would buy them for there appearance rather that any protective function

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Movinon

Movinon Funster

They look like Milenco mirror protectors (£50-£60) not Mirrorguards at £140. Neither product protects your mirror (£250-£350) from anything other than small scratches to the plastic surround. Mirrorguard are particularly a con given the outrageous claims of full protection on their website. At any reasonable speed, say above 10mph, if your mirror is hit by another vehicle or you hit a tree at the side of the road (a more likely scenario I reckon) then the force can smash your mirror to bits against the side of the van and the mirror protectors will not stop this. It is also possible that you can smash the indicator part (£25) without damaging the rest of the mirror as it sticks out beyond the protector.

To protect the mirror from such a scenario a cushion is needed between the mirror and the side of the van to soften the effect of hitting the van. The cheaper Milenco product does attach so that it is slightly proud of the mirror glass, the Mirrorguard product doesn't even offer that much.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

Look pretty,:) waste of money,:(

• Like Like x 2
  9. ALI G

ALI G Funster

10. ALI G

ALI G Funster

As sikaflex is flexible it might act as a damper and reduce the risk of damage

11. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

I have the mirror guards and luckily todate not had to test them, but prior to buying them did some research on line and found a number of post where people had been in a collision ( 30/40 mph) and found them to work
    Hopefully I never get to find out if there shit

• Like Like x 3
  12. Movinon

Movinon Funster

I had a Mirrorguard. I hit a branch sticking out at the side of the road- a stationary object - when travelling at less than 40mph. The Mirrorguard failed utterly to protect the mirror which was smashed to bits. It doesn't work.

If you are travelling at 30-40mph and your mirror is hit by another vehicle also travelling at the same speed you have a combined speed of 60-80mph. Mirrorguard claim that you will be protected in these circumstances. It's a lie. Mirrorguard is a ludicrously overpriced product which offers little except a false sense of security.

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Movinon. I'm in the middle of a review comparing and contrasting Mirrorguard and the New Milenco product. I have a set of each on my desk right now. I'd be interested to see the 30mph claim, as that was not claimed to me when I asked for literature. Clearly they are designed to protect from low speed knocks and scrapes when passing. My initial feelings are that he Mirroguard will do exactly that and the Millenco... well you'll have to wait for the review. :eek:

As for 30 or 40mph closing collisions. Most motorhomes would not survive the impact, let alone the glass!

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Do you have a link to this.. Thanks

15. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Go to their website. They claim that their product offers "Full protection" and that by using it you will experience "No costly repair". It's there on their homepage. They do not suggest any limitations of use, no speed limit restrictions or any other qualifications. So my statement is valid, backed up by my own experience. And I have the Milenco product also now, as I was left with one white (Mirrorguarded) wing mirror and one black replacement wing mirror. At least the Milenco product was reasonably priced.

16. Movinon

Movinon Funster

17. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

I Have them on my van because she said they look good and make the mirrors better to look at!!

Works for me(y)

18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I did look and I can't see the outrageous claims you mention. Maybe you can point me to them.

I can understand your frustration, but for me, I would not expect any product to save a mirror when hitting an immovable object at over 30mph.

19. Movinon

Movinon Funster

So the consumer cannot rely on claims made by a manufacturer in your opinion - they must use their own judgement and expertise? It's always caveat emptor and claiming that something offers full protection when it doesn't is OK? It doesn't seem to me that the law would agree with you or why have any consumer protection legislation at all.

20. quickweh

quickweh Funster

I had my offside mirror broken by an oncoming motorhome deciding to pull out past a parked car. The indicator lens was smashed and the mirror casing badly cracked but the mirrors were not broken. The cheapest repair was to fit a pair of mirrorguards rather than a complete replacement wing mirror. I am now very wary of oncoming white vans, and motorhomes with big sticky out wing mirrors.:(
    Not had a chance to test the mirrorguards and don't particularly want to.:D