Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
2013 Bessacarr E584. - (Fiat Ducato)
I am thinking of fitting protective covers. and I see that there are one or two companies making them, if anyone has had experience of them it would be appreciated if you gave your view of them and also the make.
Also does the RH one come with the hole in the bottom to accommodate the temperature sensor, or do you have to cut that yourself ?

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi We have Mirrorguards on our Bolero. They are about £115 but in our experience do work. I got a real hard hit on mine in France this year (one of our traveller friends who swerved to hit my mirror) The dent repaired itself and the black scuff marks polished out. The foam inner gives much protection.
I looked at the cheaper ones now available and they are not up to the job in my opinion. Both my covers have drain holes in the bottom.
Cheers
Bernie:)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Looked at all 3 at the NEC & Mirrorguard is by far the most substantial & the original patented guard - think you get what you pay for. Also made in the UK(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I had Mirrorguards, The offside one which had a sideswipe with a van coming from the other direction fragmented into about 50 pieces and the mirror and assembly unit were also smashed. For a complete new unit the cost was £140. I would not buy Mirrorguards again.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
2013 Bessacarr E584. - (Fiat Ducato)
I am thinking of fitting protective covers. and I see that there are one or two companies making them, if anyone has had experience of them it would be appreciated if you gave your view of them and also the make.
Also does the RH one come with the hole in the bottom to accommodate the temperature sensor, or do you have to cut that yourself ?

I have mirror guards and I to hit a VW transporter wing mirror in France this year (very narrow mountain pass), took his mirror completely off and I had a small hair line crack the scuff marks came out with rubbing compound very impressed but not the cheapest
Also think as there white on coming traffic probably notice you more
Can't comment on the others as I never looked at them
You just educated me about the temp sensor, the mirror guards do have small holes in the bottom but think these are drainage holes rather than for a sensor probably explains why my temp sensor on the display is showing 30c today when am in Stockton on tees and when in France showed as 50c when it was more like 30c
You say it's in RH is this the drivers or offside wing mirror
Thks

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I took the view that if my mirror gets hit, with or without a guard, it will get damaged, so why spend meet on guards.

I did however spend £4 on a roll of Solas tape ( reflective as used on jackets and bouyancy aids). I cut it into strips and stuck it on the front of the mirrors - works a treat - shows up white in the day and reflective at night.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I did however spend £4 on a roll of Solas tape ( reflective as used on jackets and bouyancy aids). I cut it into strips and stuck it on the front of the mirrors - works a treat - shows up white in the day and reflective at night.
Us too - Mirrorguard don't make covers for Ford Transit mirrors as cheaper to replace but mirrors are plain black so not very visible. See our photos at the bottom of these posts to see the difference with Solas tape fitted: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/reflective-stickers-for-mirrors.91148/#post-1086618

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
AS has been said nothing will protect your mirrors in a high impact collision but there can be little doubt mirrorguard offer the best protection from low impact protection collisions and scrapes and although they are expensive they are considerably cheaper than a replacement mirror.Cheaper options are made of inferior gauge "plastic" offering little or no protection.
Reflective strips are a good idea in making the mirror more visible to oncoming traffic and could still be stuck to the mirror guard but offer no impact protection

OP
OP
FM02MZO

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
I have mirror guards and I to hit a VW transporter wing mirror in France this year (very narrow mountain pass), took his mirror completely off and I had a small hair line crack the scuff marks came out with rubbing compound very impressed but not the cheapest
Also think as there white on coming traffic probably notice you more
Can't comment on the others as I never looked at them
You just educated me about the temp sensor, the mirror guards do have small holes in the bottom but think these are drainage holes rather than for a sensor probably explains why my temp sensor on the display is showing 30c today when am in Stockton on tees and when in France showed as 50c when it was more like 30c
You say it's in RH is this the drivers or offside wing mirror
Thks
RH or O/S is the drivers side

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back