Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Arrived home yesterday after a week away in the van, split campsite run up to North Berwick then a couple of nights on the CC site at Borrowdale, South end of Derwentwater.
Good week all in all, weather excellent.:Smile:
However, the trip was marred by a couple of events.
The first involved myself and a cyclist in Keswick, I'll recover from that but I was fighting mad at the time...:Angry:
The second was the result of hitting a low branch of a tree on the small road down to Borrowdale. There isn't much damage, very slight indentation to the Luton and a scrape in the polish over the top.
Some might call it a "life mark", it's what happens when you use these things. I might get used to it in time but was just wondering if any else bothers with getting these small knocks ironed out.
The van is in for it's first service this week, I'll ask what could be done when I put it in, short of putting a new panel on...:Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sorry to hear of your misfortune but I''ll wager the repair bill ends in 3 zeros
terry

OP
OP
DesRes

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
I think I'll be learning to live with it if that's the case Terry...:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
its cheaper to stick a decal over it or an odd bit of sign sticker. the cost of repair could well be over a grand.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Sorry to hear about your "mishaps". You know we had our bumper replaced, but that was very broken, we have however a dent on the habitation door, presumably made by a car door in a car park - we've decided to live with it :Sad:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
sorry to hear about miss hap but you are probably the only one that we notice the slight dent ( have a few on mine from low branches) the scratch I would certainly try and take out with T cut then silky to finish it off

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Not as bad as this then?

Attachments

• motorhome.JPG
    motorhome.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 83

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Not as bad as this then?

Ouch! That's enough to make you cry:cry:

We've had low branches scrape over the top of ours but, only lightly scuffed luckily.........apart from when a van reversed into the side of us when the van was weeks old. It was off the road for 3 months......needed new side panel, new window, new decals:Angry:

Bill

OP
OP
DesRes

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
sorry to hear about miss hap but you are probably the only one that we notice the slight dent ( have a few on mine from low branches) the scratch I would certainly try and take out with T cut then silky to finish it off

Absolutely, it's because you know it's there. I had heaps of bumps on the last van, the roof resembled a golf ball. It's because it's the first. I'll be having a go at the streak with the polish I think.:Smile:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
polish out what you can, and leave the rest. Just ensure you have no cracks in the gelcoat around the area.

What can be done about cracks in the gel coat? I've got a few. Or rather my MH has.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Oh bad luck that, one thing I am always looking for is trees and road signs that stick out at 13' high I am aware it is sooooo easy to hit something overhead, leave it though as long as it is water tight, we all get a scratch or dink sooner or later no matter how carefull we are..........just look at JJ's Iveco :ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
What can be done about cracks in the gel coat? I've got a few. Or rather my MH has.

There are two types of crack - a surface and a piercing. The surface crack is usually stress or age related, and is only on the gel coat itself. This is the easiest to maintain. Just a few drops of creeping crack cure to seal it - and then run a thin layer of gel coat repair over the top for strength and extra waterproofing.

The latter will need more work - this is where you can actually push the panel in and out and it separates as you do so. This has cracked or split the fibreglass beneath. This will need filling, sealing and rubbing down. Use a gel coat filler here, cut a 'groove' along the length of the split/crack to display a 'v' and then fill with gel-coat filler. Rub down to 1500grit level and then polish up with a paint buffer to a shiny new layer. There may be a slight difference in colour depending on the shade of your van - if you need to paint, then don't polish the filler up to a shine, and repray the area.

You can get a local paint shop to 'finish' the job if large areas need painting. Your main objective it to prevent leaks and keep it waterproof!

OP
OP
DesRes

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Okay, T-cut and Autoglym polish has removed everything apart from the slight impact damage, it'll do.:Smile:
Thanks for the input chaps, it's good to share...::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back