Mini media player for TV playback - help please (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've just received from amazon, a Sumvision cyclone 2+ mini. Works fine with my 1tb passport drive with a couple of hundred films on it. Just waiting for the 12V power supply lead to come but works fine off mains.
under £20 from Amazon with next day delivery.
I just need to put some more films on now. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I've just received from amazon, a Sumvision cyclone 2+ mini. Works fine with my 1tb passport drive with a couple of hundred films on it. Just waiting for the 12V power supply lead to come but works fine off mains.
under £20 from Amazon with next day delivery.
I just need to put some more films on now. :)
which 12v power supply did you purchase?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Would something like this with a suitable cable be sufficient to power a media player if it was 2 amp?

Link Removed

s-l1600.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Mel, think the output from that would only be at 5V so probably wouldn't be sufficient.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have an Avtex TV and an Avtex antenna which can be powered from the Avtex TV itself which has a '5v out' connector for the purpose soooooooooo ... keep with me ... is there any reason why the media player couldn't also utilise the 5v out of the TV rather than have to have a separate power source if they are the same amperage?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mel, think the output from that would only be at 5V so probably wouldn't be sufficient.
The vast majority of media players are 5v 2amp hence my query.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
That should be OK for the media player alone but don't forget you will probably need some extra current capacity if you are using it with a USB hard disk or even a flash drive. I used one of these to power both media player and hard disk:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Con...376530?hash=item2367fb47d2:g:lJ4AAOSwo4pYL~jd

I've made a small Raspberry Pi media computer for our van (and on our shared narrow boat), using Kodi via OpenElec, though other operating systems are available. It's the latest version of the Pi and it is a bit hungry in terms of current use compared with some others. It's worked fine, so far, playing all formats of files I have tried.

I have had one of those Android boxes in the past at home and not been impressed. Boot time was slooooow. Maybe they've improved now.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've just bought a new tv (nevir)in spain2 weeks ago (12v and 220v) and the recordings come out as tsv files which can only be played back via the source I used to record them EXCEPT when trying to play back through the sumvision cyclone 3, it won't recognise the file.I thought that it would play ANY file but it clearly won't.
I downloaded a few file converters but none of them worked, they didn't recognise it only to say that it was a tab separated value which can only be read by something like a script reader.ie adobe reader.
That gets powered through the usb in the tv though. The last tv wouldn't power the cyclone 3, I had to use the inverter to power it through the 3 pin plug supplied with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The .tsv format isn't listed on any of the cyclones which are usually able to play:
  • Video Container: MKV, TS, M2TS, TP, WMV, VOB, AVI, MPG, MP4, M4V, MOV, RM, RMVB, DIVX, XVID, FLV and PMP
.tsv is usually associated with the likes of Excel spreadsheets etc, not video, so it may be encrypted so that nothing else can play it ... just found this which agrees with my view:

A TSV file is not a video file. Tab Separated Value (.tsv) is a raw data file normally used in conjunction with spreadsheet (that is why you were able to open it with notepad).

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I don't know why my tv records in this format so I will just have to adjust how I play the recordings.
I have just formatted and created a partition on a hard disc toe enable me to keep a few recordings on it, normally I just kept them on my pc but the hard disc I used has 936gb so just big enough...lol.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Following on from the below thread about having problems trying to play films etc back from a USB stick on our Avtex TV which was ultimtely resolved it's got me thinking again if there was an even better way to do this.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...-off-usb-hdd-help-please.124514/#post-2189117

At present, in order to play films, tv progs etc on the Avtex via the USB hubby first has to convert them on his computer from the original mkv format to mpeg2 which is a pain so it got me wondering if there's a better way such as an 'interface' of some sort to cut out the need to convert them at all so they can stay in their original mkv format. With this in mind I've been having a mooch round and a media player of some sort seems an easier way to do this but my knowledge of them is very limited!
So can someone please tell me which would do what I want ... I don't need it to do much other than for use to be able to plug in a USB or portable hard drive with the programmes etc on and be able to play them regardless of their format without messing about converting them ....:)

As it's my hubby's birthday in a month I'd like to get him one to have a play with as by then he'll have got fed up with the new washing machine and need a new 'toy' to keep himself amused! :D

Help!!!:confused:

So I was having the issue of taking files from the Humax box and then converting the .TS files with Handbrake to MP4 - each file took half the programme time ( 1 hours viewing took 30 minutes to convert and the laptop kept overheating and cutting out!)

The bottom line is that I ordered a Sumvision Cyclone 4 - it arrived Wednesday and it powers the portable hard drive and plays the TS files ( amongst many other file types) - it does a sd card slot too - menu system is good as you can read whole file name and delete after viewing. Also it has Miracast so you can see your tablet screen on the TV. So far so good :D

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
So I was having the issue of taking files from the Humax box and then converting the .TS files with Handbrake to MP4 - each file took half the programme time ( 1 hours viewing took 30 minutes to convert and the laptop kept overheating and cutting out!)

The bottom line is that I ordered a Sumvision Cyclone 4 - it arrived Wednesday and it powers the portable hard drive and plays the TS files ( amongst many other file types) - it does a sd card slot too - menu system is good as you can read whole file name and delete after viewing. Also it has Miracast so you can see your tablet screen on the TV. So far so good :D
And you can get a 12v cable for them...

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
An update - have now "installed" the Sumvision Cyclone 4 and a 12 v outlet with USB's - used an aluminium push plate cut and bent - this is held in place by the Avtex bracket. Used Velcro to hole the gadgets in place. Simples.:D
20170309_115630.jpg 20170309_115642.jpg 20170309_115707.jpg

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Terrarium TV app for android with the download manager app ADM will allow you to download to an SD card on your device in HD, then cast it to your TV if you wish to watch it on a bigger display.
Cheers
Ed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back