Mini media player for TV playback - help please (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Following on from the below thread about having problems trying to play films etc back from a USB stick on our Avtex TV which was ultimtely resolved it's got me thinking again if there was an even better way to do this.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...-off-usb-hdd-help-please.124514/#post-2189117

At present, in order to play films, tv progs etc on the Avtex via the USB hubby first has to convert them on his computer from the original mkv format to mpeg2 which is a pain so it got me wondering if there's a better way such as an 'interface' of some sort to cut out the need to convert them at all so they can stay in their original mkv format. With this in mind I've been having a mooch round and a media player of some sort seems an easier way to do this but my knowledge of them is very limited!

I know that some people do use media players and mention has been made in the past of 'cyclone' which I assume is one of these:
  • Link Removed
I've also spotted these too:
  • Link Removed

• Link Removed
So can someone please tell me which would do what I want ... I don't need it to do much other than for use to be able to plug in a USB or portable hard drive with the programmes etc on and be able to play them regardless of their format without messing about converting them ....:)

As it's my hubby's birthday in a month I'd like to get him one to have a play with as by then he'll have got fed up with the new washing machine and need a new 'toy' to keep himself amused! :D

Help!!!:confused:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If you like android .. this isn't a bad deal on Amazon.. (may be available elsewhere) COOLEAD® Q Box Smart Android TV BOX

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We bought a media player a few months ago for similar reasons, to play a variety of video formats on an Avtex tv directly from a portable hard disk. Can't remember the make/model, but will dig it out and come back...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Sometimes on the Avtex you can just change the file extension.. ie just change the end bit of the file name.
Did it once on mine and they all worked..
If it does you can get free programs that will change all the files on a HDD with a single click (y)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've had my Cyclone for over 3 years and seems to convert everything I've downloaded.
Be careful not to buy the Mico 3 it not as good

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Just had a look at the Cyclone 4 and that now seems the way to go. I might have to upgrade myself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYCLONE-M...088725?hash=item465c2bdb15:g:muQAAOSwNRdX7RlH

OH NO - this ones even better

KM5 TV Box Quad Core Amlogic S905X Android 6.0 WiFi Multi-media Playerwww.ebay.co.uk/itm/KM5-TV-Box-Quad-Core-Amlogic-S905X-Android-6-0-WiFi-Multi-media-Player-1G-8G-uk-/401255610940?hash=item5d6cb2ba3c:g:cpQAAOSwcUBYRnfN

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just had a look at the Cyclone 4 and that now seems the way to go. I might have to upgrade myself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYCLONE-M...088725?hash=item465c2bdb15:g:muQAAOSwNRdX7RlH

KM5 TV Box Quad Core Amlogic S905X Android 6.0 WiFi Multi-media Playerwww.ebay.co.uk/itm/KM5-TV-Box-Quad-Core-Amlogic-S905X-Android-6-0-WiFi-Multi-media-Player-1G-8G-uk-/401255610940?hash=item5d6cb2ba3c:g:cpQAAOSwcUBYRnfN
So go on then, tell me WHY one is better than the other! :D

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We use a WD TV Live box with a 2tb usb drive attached loaded with more than we can watch, it can also be used on 12v, plays all that we have tried mkv/iso/vob/avi etc. :)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Use a chromecast type of hdmi done in the TV. have the films om you phones sd card and you can also run kodi on your phone and mirror it on your tv

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I use a WD Live TV box in Portugal and a Cyclone on the road. Both extremely good and very reliable

Kodi is in the bin, the streams are crap and with all the broadcasters and studios after them, I suspect their days are numbered

Now Link Removed is available overseas - legal free service - I am pretty much sorted

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We use a WD TV Live box with a 2tb usb drive attached loaded with more than we can watch, it can also be used on 12v, plays all that we have tried mkv/iso/vob/avi etc. :)
Yes, I saw them too ... I'd already bookmarked this one:

WD TV LIVE MEDIA PLAYER

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Do you mean this one:
Link Removed

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Believe some Avtex TV's have an "engineers" menu and in this you can change the format of video files it will play.
Second-hand info and, as we don't have an Avtex, haven't checked it.
To access the menu you press the "source" button and type 0820 on the remote control. Allegedly this opens the hidden menu.
Might only be some specific models though? Might be a load of keech? Might be worth a try?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I was using my android phone most of the time and a mini asus windows pc for stuff that android wouldnt do.
Ive now bought a lenovo yoga 710 14" 2 in 1 that I will use for a TV PC Media player. I connect to the internet via my phone and have a TV man mini DVB wifi device for watching freeview.

It was my plan to intergrate all my TV and PC stuff into one, and I also have my mini projector for big screen movie watching.. It works for us.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
To be accurate .mkv is a "container" for video files (a bit like an ISA) and mpeg2 is a codec... which is why @tonka suggestion might work.
You could try the extension .mp4 or even .mpg

Yep.. .mp4 thats what i remember using... Did it more for when the kids were small and travelling with us..
So not used it so much as of late...

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I've tried several media server options in the van, ending up with a Raspberry PI running Kodi or VLC. This works well for any video format and is a great low cost, low power option.

Btw, the VLC app is available free of charge for most platforms (windows/Mac/android) and will play almost any video format.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've tried several media server options in the van, ending up with a Raspberry PI running Kodi or VLC. This works well for any video format and is a great low cost, low power option.

Btw, the VLC app is available free of charge for most platforms (windows/Mac/android) and will play almost any video format.
We use a Pi \ OSMC with a 5Gb hdd at home.

Deleted User
I use a WD Live TV box in Portugal and a Cyclone on the road. Both extremely good and very reliable

Kodi is in the bin, the streams are crap and with all the broadcasters and studios after them, I suspect their days are numbered

Now Link Removed is available overseas - legal free service - I am pretty much sorted

Thanks for that link, another string to my bow:)

I have used it to watch live TV in Portugal even though it says it is available only for TV licence holders in the UK which I can live with but how, as it is called TV catchup, is it possible to record/save programmes?

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Yes, I saw them too ... I'd already bookmarked this one:

WD TV LIVE MEDIA PLAYER
Yes, i've got that one and an older one same name both very good and the best thing they can be used directly on the 12v where as the others i have seen like the M'8 and M8s boxes with kodi installed cannot and can only be used with a 3 pin plug.:)

Deleted User

Won't play stuff that I have downloaded from freesat to a hard drive from a Fortec box, no idea what file format they are, did look it up once and tried all different ways of watching from the hard drive but was rapidly loosing the will to live so abandoned the project.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Won't play stuff that I have downloaded from freesat to a hard drive from a Fortec box, no idea what file format they are, did look it up once and tried all different ways of watching from the hard drive but was rapidly loosing the will to live so abandoned the project.

Im surprised. Never had a problem with VLC with files from many "sources". Are you sure the files you have aren't DRM protected. Many HD programmes from BBC/ITV/C4/C5 will have DRM protection and will only play on the original recorder (SD programmes seem OK though)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Thanks for that link, another string to my bow:)

I have used it to watch live TV in Portugal even though it says it is available only for TV licence holders in the UK which I can live with but how, as it is called TV catchup, is it possible to record/save programmes?
Welcome. I understand they were the first, and offered full catchup services with recording, but the broadcasters spent years trying to sue them (and failing). I gather they now have high court clearance and are in the process of reinstating the catchup service whilst adding a large number of new channels. From what I have seen and heard, the streaming quality is excellent

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes, i've got that one and an older one same name both very good and the best thing they can be used directly on the 12v where as the others i have seen like the M'8 and M8s boxes with kodi installed cannot and can only be used with a 3 pin plug.:)
You can get 5v car leads so that would get round having to use an inverter to run the M8s etc when not on hookup.

Deleted User
Im surprised. Never had a problem with VLC with files from many "sources". Are you sure the files you have aren't DRM protected. Many HD programmes from BBC/ITV/C4/C5 will have DRM protection and will only play on the original recorder (SD programmes seem OK though)

It could be as you say, though I do not think any of the programmes would have been HD, they all play perfectly through the original recorder.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
You can get 5v car leads so that would get round having to use an inverter to run the M8s etc when not on hookup.
I did try one but it wouldnt power it for one my m8s's, have you tried one that works?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Believe some Avtex TV's have an "engineers" menu and in this you can change the format of video files it will play.
Second-hand info and, as we don't have an Avtex, haven't checked it.
To access the menu you press the "source" button and type 0820 on the remote control. Allegedly this opens the hidden menu.
Might only be some specific models though? Might be a load of keech? Might be worth a try?

Just tried it on my Avtex Series 8. Doesn't do anything from Source menu.

However, with DVD as the source, pressing DVD Setup and entering 9210 on the remote allows you to set the DVD region to 0 (ie any region) and switch on the Support Divx option. Mine played an MP4 file from a USB HDD after that, but not an AVI. Mind you, there's AVI and there's AVI - it covers a multitude of variations. They do MPEG2 anyway, which is the common standard for digital broadcasting. The Avtex record function saves the files onto USB with a .ts suffix which is compatible with some computer media players (like VLC Media Player) if your Codecs are up to date. If not, try downloading the free full K-Lite Codec pack and installing it.

With Source menu selected in TV mode, entering 2580 brings up an additional menu but I don't think it offers much about file formats, unless anyone can correct me on that.

[Edit: My earlier comment about HDD looking full on PC - caused by formatting on a non Avtex TV that used a similar system. All sorted now I've formatted it on the Avtex.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sometimes on the Avtex you can just change the file extension.. ie just change the end bit of the file name.
Did it once on mine and they all worked..
If it does you can get free programs that will change all the files on a HDD with a single click (y)
To be accurate .mkv is a "container" for video files (a bit like an ISA) and mpeg2 is a codec... which is why @tonka suggestion might work.
You could try the extension .mp4 or even .mpg
Unfortunately hubby said that changing the file name to .MP4 didn't make any difference when he tried it previously.:(

I've just discovered that there's a new version of the cyclone called 4+ which is 64bit:

Link Removed

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Unfortunately hubby said that changing the file name to .MP4 didn't make any difference when he tried it previously.
Try relabelling to .mpg
Earlier you mentioned converting to mpeg2 to work on the Avtex - that's quite an old video format - .mp4 might be too new for the TV to recognise.
You could also try the extension .mpeg or .mp2
If powering a media player box isn't an issue then obviously that would offer more flexibility - but they can be fussy too.
I would also avoid any Kodi offering, it can be terribly buggy. And I'm suspicious its cheap compared to the Amazon version.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back