Mini Heki Fly Screen has gone all saggy. (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Is there any way of rejuvenating my saggy fly screen ? :unsure: I think this was how the mozzies were getting into the van earlier in the year in Portugal.(n)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Depends what you mean by saggy I suppose.

If it isn't retracting properly you may be able to fix it by removing the screen and its roller and re-tensioning it (may require removal of the inner frame depending on model).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ah, terminology strikes again. The pleated bit is the blind, the fly screen is the black part of a roller :)
If the blind is saggy because the fabric has lost its stiffness I would guess (only guess though) you have to mend it with a new 'un.
Looking at the Exploded Diagrams/Technical Questions on the page referenced it appears they are part of the inner frame rather than available separately.

Hopefully somebody will come up with a less expensive solution.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Ah, terminology strikes again. The pleated bit is the blind, the fly screen is the black part of a roller :)
If the blind is saggy because the fabric has lost its stiffness I would guess (only guess though) you have to mend it with a new 'un.
Looking at the Exploded Diagrams/Technical Questions on the page referenced it appears they are part of the inner frame rather than available separately.

Hopefully somebody will come up with a less expensive solution.

Actually, both the blind and the fly screen are pleated. There is no roller. Is the issue with the fly screen material itself or is it a case of the plastic "leader" incorporating the finger pull no longer functioning correctly?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Actually, both the blind and the fly screen are pleated. There is no roller. Is the issue with the fly screen material itself or is it a case of the plastic "leader" incorporating the finger pull no longer functioning correctly?
Thanks for that clarification. We have a Heki 3 on our current van and the fly screen mesh is on a sprung roller. I think it was the same on the Heki 2 on our previous van so I assumed (obviously wrongly) that the same applied to the Mini Heki.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sadly its down to poor design and when the fabric has gone limp, the only remedy is to replace the lower frame complete. i imagine if you had infinite patience then you could re-fold it and use spray starch or lacquer to harden it again

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I took mine apart a few months ago to wash and clean it. It was choked with dust. Sadly, since washing it the mesh has started to sag, I guess I'll need a new one.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Mine is the same, saggy. When I get home from this trip I am going to remove it and was it. I think it might be costed with something to provide stiffness so I am going to try spray starch then fold it and carefully iron it under a tea towel. If that doesn't work I am going to write to Heki pointing out a poor design and using for a new one gratis. Nothing to loose.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
My 7-year-old fly screen is fine, but one of the small lugs on the plastic slider for the blind has broken off, resulting in the blind and slider failing to stay in place and resting at an angle across the frame. Of course, you can't buy the slider, only the entire inner frame. I'm currently debating whether to attempt a Heath Robinson job on the slider (I've read somewhere that wire can be used) or bite the bullet and buy a complete inner frame - which would at least give me spares for most parts for the future!

OP
OP
bigtree
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I had to buy one as the guides for the cords are very flimsy and one broke off plus the sun probably makes it brittle,should have bought 2 as they take weeks for delivery.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Sadly its down to poor design and when the fabric has gone limp, the only remedy is to replace the lower frame complete. i imagine if you had infinite patience then you could re-fold it and use spray starch or lacquer to harden it again
+1 try spray starch

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Interesting this. I have two on my van: one came with the van and I fitted the second earlier this year. The newest of the two was affected by wind that caused the flysheet to bulge downwards out of the frame. As this had never happened with the older one I thought I'd take the both off to compare (and to fix the newer one). On the old one the zig-zag fabric was punched so that a stiff wire guide rail at each side kept it in line and the folds straight. The newer one wasn't punched and didn't have the guide wires but the plastic frame still had the slots that the wires could be fitted to. It looks like the later versions have been made more cheaply by leaving out the wires. I suspect yours is (like my new one) one without the wires.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back