Mini Heki Fly Screen has gone all saggy.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bigtree, Oct 4, 2016.

1. bigtree

bigtree Funster

Is there any way of rejuvenating my saggy fly screen ? :unsure: I think this was how the mozzies were getting into the van earlier in the year in Portugal.(n)

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Depends what you mean by saggy I suppose.

If it isn't retracting properly you may be able to fix it by removing the screen and its roller and re-tensioning it (may require removal of the inner frame depending on model).

3. bigtree

bigtree Funster

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ah, terminology strikes again. The pleated bit is the blind, the fly screen is the black part of a roller :)
    If the blind is saggy because the fabric has lost its stiffness I would guess (only guess though) you have to mend it with a new 'un.
    Looking at the Exploded Diagrams/Technical Questions on the page referenced it appears they are part of the inner frame rather than available separately.

Hopefully somebody will come up with a less expensive solution.

5. TJBi

TJBi Funster

Actually, both the blind and the fly screen are pleated. There is no roller. Is the issue with the fly screen material itself or is it a case of the plastic "leader" incorporating the finger pull no longer functioning correctly?

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks for that clarification. We have a Heki 3 on our current van and the fly screen mesh is on a sprung roller. I think it was the same on the Heki 2 on our previous van so I assumed (obviously wrongly) that the same applied to the Mini Heki.

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Sadly its down to poor design and when the fabric has gone limp, the only remedy is to replace the lower frame complete. i imagine if you had infinite patience then you could re-fold it and use spray starch or lacquer to harden it again

8. WillH

WillH Funster

I took mine apart a few months ago to wash and clean it. It was choked with dust. Sadly, since washing it the mesh has started to sag, I guess I'll need a new one.

9. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Mine is the same, saggy. When I get home from this trip I am going to remove it and was it. I think it might be costed with something to provide stiffness so I am going to try spray starch then fold it and carefully iron it under a tea towel. If that doesn't work I am going to write to Heki pointing out a poor design and using for a new one gratis. Nothing to loose.

10. TJBi

TJBi Funster

My 7-year-old fly screen is fine, but one of the small lugs on the plastic slider for the blind has broken off, resulting in the blind and slider failing to stay in place and resting at an angle across the frame. Of course, you can't buy the slider, only the entire inner frame. I'm currently debating whether to attempt a Heath Robinson job on the slider (I've read somewhere that wire can be used) or bite the bullet and buy a complete inner frame - which would at least give me spares for most parts for the future!

11. bigtree

bigtree Funster

I had to buy one as the guides for the cords are very flimsy and one broke off plus the sun probably makes it brittle,should have bought 2 as they take weeks for delivery.

12. Bart

Bart Funster

+1 try spray starch

13. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Interesting this. I have two on my van: one came with the van and I fitted the second earlier this year. The newest of the two was affected by wind that caused the flysheet to bulge downwards out of the frame. As this had never happened with the older one I thought I'd take the both off to compare (and to fix the newer one). On the old one the zig-zag fabric was punched so that a stiff wire guide rail at each side kept it in line and the folds straight. The newer one wasn't punched and didn't have the guide wires but the plastic frame still had the slots that the wires could be fitted to. It looks like the later versions have been made more cheaply by leaving out the wires. I suspect yours is (like my new one) one without the wires.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. bigtree

bigtree Funster

Nope,got the guide wires.