Minack Theatre

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Roxie, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Roxie

Roxie Funster

Hoping to take in a show during our tour of Cornwall in May/June. Can you recommend somewhere to stay that's not too far away - and how did you get there? i.e. are taxis OK?

Thanks

Roxie

2. Kensmith314

Kensmith314 Read Only Funster

Hello Roxie,
    We went to this lovely theatre last September.
    We stayed at Treverven Touring Park. It's a bit run down and my wife said you might only want to stay there for the one night. It's in a lovely location but a bit neglected.
    We walked straight from the site onto the cliff path and walked along the path for about two hours to get to the theatre. We then took a taxi back - it wasn't prohibitively expensive but I can't remember the price.
    It is possible to drive there in your motorhome - there is room to park. However, the road up to the theatre is narrow.
    Once you get there, you will find a stall that does good and cheap hot food.
    In the theatre it is very worth the cost of hiring a cushioned seat/back support. A blanket is also very useful - it can get cold.
    It is a fantastic theatre, though, and you will love it. You must book tickets well in advance, though. Have a lovely time.
    Ken

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

closest c/site I think is 3.5miles
    Treverven Touring Caravan & Camping Site, St Buryan, Penzance, Cornwall, TR19 6DL

Open: 01 Apr 2016 - 31 Oct 2016

Phone number: 01736 810200

Email: info@treverventouringpark.co.uk

################################

Or Treen farm campsite
    even closer but not able to book ( about a mile or so away)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We visited from St Ives.

I loved the location and scenery but not really into the thespian stuff to be honest.

6. robrace

robrace Funster

We stayed at Treen Farm campsite in September which is in a great location but a bit basic.We thought and had been told that we could walk the cliff path to the Theatre so we tried it in the morning!It was a great walk with super views but we decided not really a good idea at night for two 70 year olds.We booked tickets at the theatre and they gave us the number for a local taxi driver who picked up us and was waiting for us when we came out.I think he charged us £7!It was a great night made better by the thought that we hadn't got to walk/climb home.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Well worth a visit. Carpark is M/H friendly The approach road is not a M/Way just the usual Cornish Country road.
    Take a cushion and a blanket, a good fleece, even saw one person with a hot water bottle, if going for a show.
    Well worth it in my opinion, for even just a sightseeing trip during the day, personally I get more out of a place like that than I do out of the tourist traps like St Ives and Landsend

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Overlooking my favourite all-time UK beach, Porthcurno.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Roxie,
    The Minack is wonderful and a good production there in good weather cannot be beaten for atmosphere. However not all art is good and if you are unlucky enough to be watching a production that does not light you up then the golden rule of the Minack is that it is impossible to have too many cushions between your bum and the granite seats........

The road to the theatre is steep, narrow and twisting. Your Rapido would get there OK but I would recommend the walk / taxi combination. We have not stayed at any of the nearby sites yet so cannot help with advice there.

The Tincas

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Fabulous setting !! A definite MUST see..
    The back drop to the theatre is the sea and the setting sun !!!
    All built by an old lady called Rowena Cade and her gardener over decades !! Very impressive..
    Mitch (Cornish born)
    (y)

• Informative Informative x 1