Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
According to information received then this coming weekend is the end of this brilliant facility.

We all thought it would happen but many hoped that it would not

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sad news that as we have used it a couple of times and planned to do so again.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Disgraceful.

Victory for control freak morons.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We enjoyed the time we stayed there and regret the closure but I suppose it shows the value of doing things properly.

Had a proper planning application been made in the first place it may not have made a difference in the long run but at least the complete evidence on both sides could have been fully aired.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
What's the best alternative now ?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
In that case I know where I'm getting wet at Easter.

I will email Graham to see

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
From what I read of the NPA planning process it is unlikely that Miller Field is open as a caravan site. However, it could be that it is still in use as a rally field. I see that the MCC Northern Counties group still has the scheduled meet in May on its web site.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Whats happened to Millers Field is a travesty, the reasons for it not being able to provide an occasional aire in the area is a joke. Being able to see parked motorhomes and campervans from a mountain top beggars belief. There's a United Utilities sewerage works next door, nobody has objected to that. It seems to me that the local councillors aren't happy that it's providing somewhere for people to stay and enjoy the surrounding countryside and bringing in some extra income for the local businesses.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Whats happened to Millers Field is a travesty, the reasons for it not being able to provide an occasional aire in the area is a joke. Being able to see parked motorhomes and campervans from a mountain top beggars belief. There's a United Utilities sewerage works next door, nobody has objected to that. It seems to me that the[HI] local councillors[/HI] aren't happy that it's providing somewhere for people to stay and enjoy the surrounding countryside and bringing in some extra income for the local businesses.

How much does it take to stop people simply assuming that "local councillors" are to blame just because they don't like a decision. As has been amply publicised on past threads about Miller Field, the planning authority is the Lake District National Park Authority, not the local council.

Planning restrictions in National Parks are more strict than elsewhere, for good reasons. Add to that the fact the the aire was set up without planning permission being sought and it isn't difficult to see why the inspector's decision went the way it did

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Graham, just cos you got bitten by mosquitos when we went there is no reason to justify its closure.:RollEyes:

I will miss it anyway, and know a number of others will... it was so handy for the town and I am sure brought money in..... if anyone knows of another good place to go that is reasonable around there could you let us all know please. I thoroughly enjoyed our weekends there as Funsters. Thank you.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, just cos you got bitten by mosquitos when we went there is no reason to justify its closure.:RollEyes:

I will miss it anyway, and know a number of others will... it was so handy for the town and I am sure brought money in..... if anyone knows of another good place to go that is reasonable around there could you let us all know please. I thoroughly enjoyed our weekends there as Funsters. Thank you.

I don't disagree Joy, we enjoyed staying there and found it handy as well. Sadly, though, nobody has a right to ignore the planning process. Reading further elsewhere it appears that the reason planning permission was not sought in the first place may have been that it was fairly certain it would be refused. In those circumstances, going ahead and then appealing against a notice was always likely to fail.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
  • Just read this great news on the W C forum posted yesterday.
  • "Just to update this thread, we stayed here here on bank holiday Monday 31st August .
    We phoned and spoke to Graham and he was very helpful.
    He explained that there has been a campsite open, but this has now shut down and he is back to offering 24 hours parking for £5. Yes it is just a field and some hard standing with an empty point for your toilet "
  • 54.42898, -2.966
  • Anyone still got his phone number so we can confirm this?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you can park but not occupy your van or it becomes a campsite the man is taking the mickey. He needs a licence and not got one how long before he is prosecuted now. He needs a licence for change of use to a carpark if nothing else.

Reactions: GJH

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
'I contacted Graham via text a few weeks ago with a view to stopping on the site for a few days. He replied informing me that he was unable to take our booking because he had been told that "he would" be prosecuted if he continued to take bookings.

Unfortunately I've deleted the text from my phone.'

The above was posted today on WC

If anyone wants to try for sure, Graham's number is 07708 310986.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Have tried the email address above to see if he answers, will let you know if he does.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
you can park but not occupy your van or it becomes a campsite the man is taking the mickey. He needs a licence and not got one how long before he is prosecuted now. He needs a licence for change of use to a carpark if nothing else.
The longer he carries on - and the more motorhomers abet the abuse - the more it will harm the case for any similar facilities in the Lake District National Park as it is bound to harden attitudes against allowing them.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
The longer he carries on - and the more motorhomers abet the abuse - the more it will harm the case for any similar facilities in the Lake District National Park as it is bound to harden attitudes against allowing them.
I don't think this has anything to do with the attitudes and opinions of the National Park, the site was turned down on the basis of visual intrusion, despite sitting next a massive car park - the one that charges mh for four bays. From the locals perspective this had more to do with commercial interests of those on the NP board, allegedly.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think this has anything to do with the attitudes and opinions of the National Park, the site was turned down on the basis of visual intrusion, despite sitting next a massive car park - the one that charges mh for four bays. From the locals perspective this had more to do with commercial interests of those on the NP board, allegedly.
Commercial interests? So why was no complaints procedure entered into then? Why was no action taken against the board members? Lack of evidence perhaps?
If there was anything untoward then why did it not come out when the appeal against the enforcement notice was dismissed by The Planning Inspectorate?

The facts of the matter are available for anyone to read here. Miller Field was a great place to stay from our point of view but the land owner went about the process in totally the wrong way.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Graham, if you want to know how NP boards work have a look at the potash application for NY moors, conflicts of interests aplenty and no one held to account. In the Millers Field case the links are more complicated - family, estates and blind trusts, very difficult to prove, but given that even a blatant one like the potash case gets through I wouldn't hold my breath.

NP boards across the country tend to be made up of the landed gentry and the CLA crowd, not very accountable.

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Just as a matter of interest, I was told by Graham that all the land that the car park and millers field occupies is owned by the same chap. The Council lease and administer the Car Park bit.
There is a lot of nimbi-sum in that location. Travelodge wanted to move and develope in an old disused laundry which has been left in dilapidation but there was so many objections it was a no go, so reopening Millers I think will be very difficult without direct action.
Colin

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, if you want to know how NP boards work have a look at the potash application for NY moors, conflicts of interests aplenty and no one held to account. In the Millers Field case the links are more complicated - family, estates and blind trusts, very difficult to prove, but given that even a blatant one like the potash case gets through I wouldn't hold my breath.

NP boards across the country tend to be made up of the landed gentry and the CLA crowd, not very accountable.
Actually I do have real experience of how NP boards approach planning matters, so I'm not just relying on rumours put about by people who don't like decisions.

It doesn't matter what potential conflicts of interest might be invented by conspiracy theorists, the Miller Field case was looked into by an independent inspector and he made his decision based on facts, not vested interests. If anyone believes that is not the case then they should sue the Planning Inspectorate.

As regards the potash mine (I assume you mean the one approved at the end of June) the decision was the result of four years of discussions and was supported by the majority of the local councils and local people. The only connection it has with Miller Field is that both were properly decided on their merits.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back