Millage and age.

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Dafydd_Cymru, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Dafydd_Cymru

Dafydd_Cymru

Hi everyone.
    Can I ask about age and millage. I'm looking to buy a first motor home and was looking at the swift kon tiki. A few questions before I dive into something I should have done years ago.
    Would I be able to drive something like this on a normal car license?
    Is 2000 way to old to look at?
    and is 45k a lot for a motor home? My Jeep has 100k on and is like new.
    We are after something for 2 adults and 2 kids with a bit of room.
    Lastly I get 22.7mpg out of the jeep, is it similar for a MH?
    Bit to answer there but hope you dont mind as I am switching from sailing a 30ft cruiser to a MH, so a lot of change....regards.

2. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Presently sat at the ferryport in a older Frankia 94 vintage 135149km 84000 or there about does everything a newer up in the year Moho does its paid for not part owned by any finance company and on the way to Portugal perhaps ,every turn of the wheel an adventure getting around 25-28mpg (2.5td Fiat) on a good day :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dafydd_Cymru

Dafydd_Cymru

lol Inspiration indeed. I want to pay cash for it so I set a budget of about 20k, hopefully I can get a good one for that...good driving

4. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

If the motorhome is more than 3.5t and you passed your test after 1st January 1997 you will need to sit another test.

5. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

6. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

I have a 2000 Chausson Welcome,we have just gone over 100,000 Kms.The van although 7mtrs plus is only a 1.9 TD,pulls like a train,economical and still holding together well.
    Some crashes and bangs over big bumps but looks clean inside and out.
    Just got back from a wet week in Germany,never cold,shower,fridge,everything works.
    Not bragging just saying its holding up well,don't worry,buy an old'en it will serve you well.

7. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

I had a 1995 Dethleffs 1.9TD and it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. :0

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

1991 Renault 2.5d Eriba, as good (to me) as the 2004 2.8td Ducato Burstner it replaced (apart from the turbo)..

.............and £13k 'change' (y)

9. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Do you recognise the Burstner Vic?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Brilliant!..... great van...........loved it for 'us' ..... everything OK?(y)

................Yes I miss the turbo!

edit............. and the 'us':(

11. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Yes, just passed MOT on Saturday, having a bit boiler problem but think I have if sussed thanks to this site. Hope your well.

12. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

With a budget of £45k you can buy an aŵful lot of motorhome. Personally, having bought two new vans in the past 10 years (a Dethleffs over cab four berth and a Chausson low profile 2 berth) before we part exed the latter for a second hand Hymer, I would not buy new again. It's not that motorhomes lose you lots of money in the ways that cars do, it's just that by choosing a better quality older van, with the right history, you get so much more for your money. Looking back, the Dethleffs was a quality van, just not the right layout for us. The Chausson had a much better layout but was flimsy and had a poor payload. The Hymer has everything we want and even though it cost us a three year old Chausson plus £11k, I don't regret it. Pick the right layout, look at a few, narrow it down and take the plunge. And if you are lucky (we were) you might just find that well-looked-after, one previous owner, loaded with accessories van, which you could never have afforded brand new.

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ours is a 2001 Hymer B644 , 35k miles.. 2.8 JTD, old reliable technology, averages 27 MPG .. and less than half your budget,

built to last, with solid wood furniture .. (they used tree wood.. not compressed sawdust).. and as there is no timber in the body construction.. nothing to rot.. buy a van that has no wood in the frame.. avoid the dreaded rot..

Double floor and winterised, all pipes and tanks between floors, with a good payload.. GVM 4,000kg

The habitation electrics are basic, no fancy digital control panels to give trouble.. likewise the fridge and Truma heater.

I wouldn't swop for a 'modern' van. It's as good as the day it rolled of the Hymer line..

With TWO kids think payload, many vans are woefully inadequate..

view here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/showcase/hymer-b644.114/

• Like Like x 1
  14. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

We are currently down at the Black Sea in our 1999 Adria 2.8 idtd with 97K kms on the clock. Never missed a beat all the way down from Ireland...Drove through WALES, ENGLAND,FRANCE, BELGIUM, GERMANY, AUSTRIA, HUNGARY AND ROMANIA....Has everything we need and only paid 9k €uro.... PIC_0074.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  15. sweetie

sweetie Funster

Thought it read as 45K as the mileage of Kontiki not the amount of £45K to spend.

16. Dafydd_Cymru

Dafydd_Cymru

lol it was 45k miles not £45k lol....got to put the girls through uni yet lol More like a budget of £20-25k. Tell you what I'm thinking of is the swift kon-tiki, probably about year 2000. So anyone who has one let me know so I can ask questions. From the above I need to find out if it is double floored etc as in an above post and the other things. In fact after reading the above I think I should find a nice one if I look around. Totally impressed with Irishrover lol, you just locked the door and went of on a serious road trip.

17. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Not at all. That's about the wife's age, and passing dogs look at her. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dafydd_Cymru

Dafydd_Cymru

lol your going to hell for that one lol

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tootles

Tootles Funster

And where do you think I'm posting from, heaven?? :cry::cry: Married to the same woman for 46 years is worse then infinity with the devil. :(

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tootles

Tootles Funster

You sound like a decent Guy, Di...........Oh dear........Anyway, we do welcome even the Welsh on *FUN*. All you need is an English tenner, and I can insult you for a full 12 months!. :):)

• Like Like x 1