Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
There is a Rewe on Markweg.

Thanks for that . Since the temperatures were in the 10-13 range and we realised we had done all we wanted on the German Mosel we decided to head back to France and after super marketing in Le Clerc are now by the Moselle in a great riverside Aire sitting in the sun .

:cooler:

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Jim, you disappoint me, surely science expounds milk as one of the best health foods.(apart from those with allergies) It's usage has waned as affluence has influenced the choice of foods that supermarkets stock and the milky puddings that grew a nation after the wars has been replaced with " ready meals" and housewifes who go out to work have by and large given up cooking.

The misinformed fears of high fats of dairy products have pushed many towards sugary drinks. A recent poll of shoppers averaged the fat content of whole milk as being 40% fat whereas full fat milk is usually sold at 3.5 - 4.0 % .

Anyway some ideas have evolved from the thread, ;)

This is a huge generalisation, not sure what this is based on. My friends and I all worked and we all cooked proper meals for our families. It would have been far too expensive to buy ready meals for a family on a regular basis.

Also, milk is extremely cheap for both supermarkets and consumers to buy so don't quite understand why this would make a difference.

Unfortunately, science and the medical profession do seem to keep changing their minds from one minute to the next about what is "good" for us. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We too eat and love cheese-I'm sorry to disappoint you,but,Cheddar is not the be all and end all of cheese :) When it's good it's excellent,but there are so many cheeses to try and enjoy.(y) Never mind the supermarkets,try some local markets selling locally produced cheeses.
I totally agree but most supermarkets abroad think Cheddar is the only British cheese. We enjoy lots of other cheeses abroad but find some are just tasteless or have the texture of rubber.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I had a problem with my pushbike brake blocks when we were in Greece, couldn't find replacements anywhere, thank God for halumi, about the only thing it's good for. :LOL:
ps I am partial to a bit of feta though.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
??? but when abroad, surely the idea is to avail yourself of the 'local food' :rolleyes:
Yes but when you are away for 6 months at a time you yearn for a bit of tasty British cheese and extra thick cream. First thing we do when off the Ferry at Dover is to head for Tesco and get a cream cake.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I had a problem with my pushbike brake blocks when we were in Greece, couldn't find replacements anywhere, thank God for halumi, about the only thing it's good for. :LOL:
ps I am partial to a bit of feta though.

Feta mmm
Olives or peppars stuffed with Feta mmm
100 different pastas mmm
French or Dutch cheeses mmm
Paella mmm
Italian ice cream MMMmmm
Turkish Baklava MMMmmm
Dont travel to spend my time locked up safe n secure in Little Britain. Like to meet the locals and eat and drink what the locals do.
Oh and ride my motorbike like a local especially in Italy Jans beginning to think I've gone native in Italy the way I'm riding. Battling city centre traffic in Florence was brilliant fun once I copied the local riders, by day 3 I was an expert all throttle and hooter.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Yes but when you are away for 6 months at a time you yearn for a bit of tasty British cheese and extra thick cream. First thing we do when off the Ferry at Dover is to head for Tesco and get a cream cake.
i never have a problem with having nice chedder or bacon when away for 6 months . hee hee take it with you.
nice gammon joints as well . mmmm, but then you have had nice honey roast gammon at xmas i remember .
cant help with the cream though ,but should you find the answer save some for me .

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
@Chocesaway got it right first time You go overseas? You expect to find "English" food? My Advice is to stay at home!
If you go overseas, you go to see the sights, the sounds, and the Taste! of Foreign parts!
If you can't get , Milk for instance! Change your diet! Think you are gonna die cause you cant get milk?
Drink Tea? Get yourself a packet of " Oo Long Yu" it's a large leaf black tea, so you'll need a strainer, better than a double shot of coffee!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The "foreigners" don't always get it right. In the north of Spain we seemed to be able to buy chorizo which was really flavoursome and hot. The ones we have being buying here in the south seem much blander. Regional tastes different perhaps?

OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
"English" food

We are talking about Milk ! there were thousands of dairy cows everywhere, just no MILK.
I would have won a gold medal for eating all the croissants, local bread, sausages of all sorts, too much other furren stuff to mention. Wine, drank more than I should have, took over five cases of the stuff home with us.
I think old Angela will have made enough off us to finance Greece for a year two. :whistle:

We just like a cup of blooming BRITISH TEA, we took the tea,and two gerrycans of local SCOTTISH WATER with us just for our tea, just needed FRESH MILK. ;)

You sterling people have furnished several good lines of attack for our next foray abroad, thank you. (y)

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Proper cream in France...look for "Fleurette" (spelling suspect)
Luvverly! You can buy different percentages the higher the thicker n creamier!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Earl Grey with a slice of lemon is very refreshing during the day but we do use real milk for the first couple of cups in the morning

Funny you should say that...... we have never been smokers but first thing in the morning we always have tea with milk...... a 'first fag of the day' we call it!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Funny you should say that...... we have never been smokers but first thing in the morning we always have tea with milk...... a 'first fag of the day' we call it!
We are like that at the moment, two cups of tea with milk in the morning while still in bed. Then any more during the day Earl Grey with lemon. At home we always have it with milk but when the weather is hot the tea with lemon is much more refreshing.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
all this talk about tea........

I gotta agree.....they just have NO IDEA in europe :rolleyes:

Wine? Oh yes :)

Coffee? Deffo :)

Tasty food? Of course :)

But TEA?? No Flippin clue!!!

Deleted User
I haven't used milk for years as it makes me ill. The mucus in milk causes me problems with already problematic sinuses, which was main reason I stopped having milk. Years down the line finding out dairy cows are given hormones to mimic pregnancy to ensure they keep producing milk would have been enough to stop me using the stuff had I not already years before. Not sure where we are these days on milk, but I like soya, it doesn't cause me problems with my sinuses as no mucus. So I'm sticking with soya. Nige gad already given up on the lactose free and gone back to normal milk although I notice it's the pure stuff. Time will tell how his intestines react! :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
all this talk about tea........

I gotta agree.....they just have NO IDEA in europe :rolleyes:

Wine? Oh yes :)

Coffee? Deffo :)

Tasty food? Of course :)

But TEA?? No Flippin clue!!!

I think you have to go to the USA to reach the lowest point of tea appreciation.

But they did add Carnation milk to tea in Jordan. "Gopping" is the technical term for it.

But the tea or "Chai" in Kuwait was superb. Either the standard stuff, very sweet or the one made with preserved lemons, always served in little glasses. They were the high point of the day*. The coffee I could only take in small doses, flavoured with cardamom but so high in caffeine you wouldn't sleep if you had too many.

Nothing with milk of course. I only drank milk there occasionally and it was sometimes camel's milk. Yummy - as a one off. :)

*Not a lot happens in Kuwait so a cup of good tea is noteworthy.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I stopped using milk when my fridge broke and I couldn't afford a replacement. 2 years without a fridge changes your taste buds. I now cannot stand milk in tea or coffee. Makes it taste nasty to me.

As for breakfast. You are Englishmen? Surely bacon butties are the staple breakfast not wishy washy continental cereals?

I am just curious to know, what went through the first persons mind when they decided to take the cows milk and drink it?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I am just curious to know, what went through the first persons mind when they decided to take the cows milk and drink it?
"Now then, where's that bowl of corn flakes."

You are Englishmen?
Not all of us apparently. ;) And yes, I love my porky rashers too. (y)

When we lived in Cyprus for three years, every grocer shop sold homogenised milk, Feta and Halloumi cheese, and every butcher sold beef, lamb, and pork by the Oke (2.5lbs), but you never saw cattle, sheep, or pigs out in the fields. o_O

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back